F-4E aftermarket Heads Up

Scotsman

I've just started working on my Tamiya F-4E , and as part of the build process I've just bought some new after market bits that might be intrest.

Aires F-4E/J/S engine nozzels. basically you get a slightly more detailedversion of the kit pieces in resin, the actual tail pipes them selves are slightly larger in diamater than the kit pieces, but have significantly better detail , Overall good , but not the complete fix that to the tail pipe problems I'd been hoping for

Eduard Pre Painted Cockpit set - WoW , the instrument panels are indeed pre coloured, the instrument faces are there either as a brass backing piece or as film, I used the brass pieces , and the result was a near perfect panel in 10 minutes, kinda takes the fun out of it a bit, much better detail defination than the kit pieces , highly recommended

Hope this spurs someone else to tackle the F-4 E, the Tamiya kit dosen't seem to have been the subject of much coverage, Cost I guess)!

Yes indeed, the Tamiy price is high but not that the reason why (at least for me)

The Tamiya kit is great but has problems that in my opinion are harder to solved as by the revell kit.

(out of scale AB-cans, und much more)

but this is my opinion as I said

I'm still dreaming of a kit that goes straitght out of the box and looks great but that's dreaming I guess..

nice day

M.

What other problems do you think the kit has, the ones I have , and corrected are ;

A) Battle Damage patches - removed with sanding

#>cool.gif RAT doors - Ditto

C) AB Cans - agreed

d) Raised Panels on Verticle tail - removed with sanding

Have I missed any other glaring errors, overall it seems to look like an E

to remove the battle damage panels is not an easy stoty...you have to rescribe the eary around them ....

The whole kit is not an 32nd one its more a 35th one (the cockpit panels are much smaller as the revell ones but the cocpit tub is in scale...well it looks strange to me....

but otherwise the kit has the right nose

cheers

M.

The Doctor is right. I checked out my Tamiya F-4J that I'm working on last night.

QUOTE (Menelaos @ Oct 14 2003, 02:35 PM)
to remove the battle damage panels is not an easy stoty...you have to rescribe the eary around them ....

Yep That's why I left mine. Hey it's going to be a Maine Bird in Viet Nam anyway. #>tongue.gif

The whole kit is not an 32nd one its more a 35th one

This might explain Pierre's problem with the CAM decals he used on his marvelous F-4J. He was saying that the MARINES and the special Fabulous Phantom markings were too large. Maybe the kit was too small. I mean if CAM did the decals in a true 1/32 scale and the kit is 1/35. hmmm Hope Fox one didn't do that.

(the cockpit panels are much smaller as the revell ones but the cocpit tub is in scale...

Now this blew me away. I got out the leftover C/D panels form the Tamiya Kit and compared them to the panels in the Revell-o-gram RF-4C and F-4E in the stash and sure enough they ARE smaller. They were also smaller when I compared them to the panels in the Legends upgrade for the Revell F-4E/F. I held the tub up next to the Tamiya kit, I had already installed the cockpit and glued the fuselage to the wings so I couldn't do a direct comparison but using the Mark I eyeball it does look like the Tamiya tub is about the same size as either the Revell tub or the Legends tub. The seats however line up very close to the Revell, Legends and Verlinden Mk 7s. Hmmmmm

well it looks strange to me....

and now it does to me too. #>blink.gif

Oh well. I guess this is our lot in life, but what a life no? #>biggrin.gif

Interesting! Especially considering that 1/35th military vehicles supoosedly came about due to scaling errors (they were meaning to make them 1/32nd) on Tamiya's, and other Japanese manufacturers, part.

I would welcome the change to 1/35th for large scale stuff as it would allow the myriad of 1/35th ground forces and figures to be mixed with a/c.

Yeah, I know, its probably too late now.