A6M 2 Lt Junichi Sasie

spacewolf

• 1 month later...
Yeah, really nice work Vaughn. Any updates?

Kev

Hey Kev & Blackbetty sorry for being out of the loop for so long, Christmas and split with GF (and her moving out by mutual agreement) over the season sorta torpedoed my modeling focus. But here we are, a new year, more sniffin glue and sticking little bits of plastic to bigger bits of plastic :post1:

I did get a bunch of plastic plus my bender arrived ! (no relation to the robot of the same name)

post-2514-1263440970.jpg

So I'm looking at the work I was doing.... those bays look not too bad do they ? Now to finish detailing.... I clipped the inner door off and cleaned it up. There was a bit of thick flash on it but it cleaned up nice. The detail is a bit heavy so I think I'll be making new ones or at least modifying the part using the Eduard bits. The first problem is the linkage... as is the arms are way too short....

post-2514-1263441181.jpg

The Eduard inner door lining looks good

post-2514-1263441443.jpg

but the shapes were bothering me so I tried to fit the door in the closed position.... not very close !

post-2514-1263441461.jpg

Looks like more work to get this right but hey, that's half the fun !

While waiting for glue to dry on a bit of plastic I glued to the inner gear doors I decided to run some plumbing in the bays. Using some of the great shots from the books Kev sent me I used twist tie wire to make what I believe is a hydraulic line.

post-2514-1263444143.jpg

This is where those little holes I drilled in the ribs come in, the line runs through them. I positioned it and fixed it with super glue, then made what I believe is an electrical wire from stretched sprue, it runs through the other hole and goes through the top of the wing into the wing root. I just glued it in place as it is very hard to see in the pics just where or how it goes, plus most of the shots show something a little different.

post-2514-1263444155.jpg

post-2514-1263444168.jpg

Getting back to the gear doors, I used a razor saw to cut the detail away and smoothed the area with a sanding stick. A thin strip of sheet was glued to the rear edge of the door and the forward edge trimmed. It looks better held in place but still needs a bit more work.

post-2514-1263447969.jpg

post-2514-1263447980.jpg

Whoooeee, nice wheel well mod Vaughn! I'm getting ready to try some PE myself. Got a whole slew of it to slap on the 110 and I may have to get one of those tools if I run into a shape I can't bend with the crude stuff I have now. May have to watch you for awhile and steal some techniques! :wacko: Looking forward to the next update dude, keep it rolling! :popcorn:

Hey Russ, steal away, I'm not doing any more photo etch than I have to, partly because it intimidates me and partly because I like to see what I can create with styrene.

Aurora, I hope that what I'm doing here is of some help, Gods know I've learned a lot from others here on the forum.

So, back to the build. I finally got the inner doors trimmed to fit

post-2514-1263536454.jpg

However there was no way the Eduard door detail was gonna fit. Either the kit doors were way off or the Eduard set was....

post-2514-1263536470.jpg

post-2514-1263536482.jpg

I'm not gonna argue or get warped out of shape trying to make them work together... I got a plan ! :thumbsup:

If you look back at post 187 where I cut off the inner door detail you can see there is quite a bit of material left so I set this on a sanding stick and gently sanded the backing material till it was gone and the raised detail was all that was left. This was glued back on the door. The mounting area for the retraction fork arms is a shallow triangle. These and the central bumper were trimmed from sheet and glued in between the raised detail.

post-2514-1263536925.jpg

post-2514-1263536937.jpg

I cleaned up the edges a bit and scored the hinge for the tab that folds inward to clear the drop tank. I used a bit of stretched spru for the hinge arm. All in all, I think it looks ok and with some paint and weathering I think it's good enough for this build. Now I gotta go do it for the other side....

post-2514-1263537208.jpg

post-2514-1263537218.jpg

Nice work Vaughn, glad to see you at it again. Sorry to hear about the lady, but, the bright side is..... .More Modeling time and lots less explaining to do. :)

Its a bummer that the photo etch is so off, but sometimes thats a good thing. Look at what you've done as opposed to what they wanted you to do. I'd say you came out ahead. That gear well is looking pretty good. Once it's primed, painted and weathered it will look super.

Sabre