Seen this not so little puppy?

TonyT

Wow, I'm not generally a tank guy but a 1:18 TII would be pretty cool

Well there already is the rather awesome collection of Trumpeter stuff in 1/16th almost all of which are very nice. The King Tiger is a ripper and massive. Some great kits inc the MkIV and the humungous Jadgetiger all with full interiors.

1/18th is a strange scale for armor given the already large number of very nice stuff from a few manufacturers out and a long list of new stuff coming.

This relates to the thread I created about scale in the general section.

This kit (which is huge!) begs the question: what scale or size for a given subject is just right?  What is too big?  What is too small?

I have been working on a 1/16 scale Panzer IV from Trumpeter off and on for a year now.  At first I loved the huge scale and all the interior detail.  Now that the tank is approaching completion, I don't like it!  I find it to be somewhat toy like in size (not detail), and it kind of matches the scale a lot of toys were made in when I was a kid, like the huge original GI Joe Dolls or Barbie Doll stuff and what not.

I.E., for a WWII tank, I'd suggest 1/16 is "Wrong" and actually too big.  I find 1/35 often too small for armor however...

If I could make my own model of an Mi-24 (one of my all time favorite things), I don't think I'd go with 1/18!  It's just too damn big! When a model starts to get too big, it starts to look weird.  It loses the "small scale replica" effect, if anyone can relate to what I'm rambling on about.

This Mi-24 is interesting to me for this reason.  It pushes "scale" to the limit....and beyond.

Too big!

I agree about super large kits entering the Tonka Toy class, but without the latter's sturdiness.

For me 1/32 is perfect for modern fighter/attack jets, twin props and maybe 1/24 is for single engine WW2 props.

1/48 is ideal for four-motors (but ill-served for British subjects, props and jets alike), and 1/72 for very large aircraft including airliners.

I've got out of the must-be-all-the-same-scale box and no longer do armour, but if I wanted to build creepy crawlies and choppers again it would be great if these were 1/24-1/25, like a lot of truck and car kits.

Tony

I've become absolutist about scale. A major part of the collection in my head is to show the relative sizes and proportions between the machines depicted, and I find the mishmash effect of different scaled models alongside each other just way too jarring and distracting. I picked 1:32 primarily because of WNW being launched and it grew from there. I had lots of 48th kits so I can see the advantage of the smaller scales, but WNW ae not 1:48......

For me, there is far more to do already available, if new kits come along that fit my requirements fine, but outside 32, just can't be distracted.

Edited by wunwinglow