Chronocolor - Desktop Colour Matching Machine

LSP_Kevin

Just saw this on Facebook. It's a new Indiegogo project to develop a desktop paint mixing and matching machine. It's scheduled for an April delivery. Looks interesting, and currently supports both Tamiya and Vallejo paints for the CMYK source colours.

Check out more at the project's Indiegogo page:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/world-s-first-desktop-colormachine-cars#/

Kev

This is VERY interesting as far as the basic colors are sold for a lower price than the current one of modelling paint bottles. Indeed, such paints are very expensive... Tamiya largest jars have 23ml of paint. As far as I know this is even worse for Vallejo...

Being able to mix colors with such a precision will not bring us a lot of benefits if that specific cost parameter does not evolve...

T.

But do Tamiya or Vallejo provide Magenta or Cyan color? If not, it is not possible to have CMYK mixer...

And there is plenty of colors you cannot get in CMYK like insignia blue for example or many others. I'm pretty sure some paints (especially the bright colors) are very often created with specific pigments, not just CMY mixture.

Juggernut - RGB mixes for paints? It would be kind of new, if I understand it correctly RGB color is created in different way: screen is emitting light, while paint on surface is reflecting light.

Best Regards,

Krzysztof 

It's the pasta machine of the model industry. In a year after the hoopla has died down, they'll be collecting dust on a shelf.

I don't need a machine to match colors for me. My eyeballs work just fine.

You might not be color blind.  I am to a degree.  I will be on this like a fly on garbage if the thing works as advertised.

I kinda see like a bread-making machine-why bother when I have many major grocers (or model paint suppliers) at hand?

Ah, but what if you don't have a ready supply to hand? That's where the value comes from. Here in the UK it can be difficult to get hold of certain paint brands (Gunze and Mr. Color especially) and we don't have supermarkets selling model paints, let alone a small hobby shop in every town. The nearest shops to me that sell model paints only stock Humbrol, so if I want anything else it's mail order only.

Besides which, think of the bigger picture. Why constantly buy jars of common colours (white and black) when you can make your own in the amount you require? Or if, like me, you also make models of cars and you can't buy a specific colour? Zero Paints and Gravity Colours have gone a long way to addressing the issue, but they don't cover everything (especially racing cars).

I am sceptical. How do you clean the conduits inside, how do you know they are clean? Pigment contamination is a major issue. How do you keep paints in a constant and even-mixed state inside the cartridges? Paint pigments tends to decant and settle. Badly-mixed paints cause all kinds of problems. Using at least six paints (that come at a price) to get one jar of paint mixed by a machine (that comes at a price) sounds very expensive. You need to use a lot of paint regularly enough to justify the costs. The only way that I can see this making any sense is if you buy it in order to start your own business supplying paints, and at that point you enter the already saturated market. However, if you still want to make your own paints starting with six basic colours, you can use syrynges to dose the precise amount of paint into a jar and mix it with a stick. The cmyk ratios for Pantone colours are widely available on the internet.

Radu

Thanks for the explanation,Vince. Here in the States, we got it nice, where if we choose to buy a kit from a retail chain like Hobby Lobby, that also seek to carry a good variety of supplies, including some very interesting specialty paints.

Also, for me, I can get stuff mail-ordered express within the week.

I would also agree with thierry, where it looks to me like the best market for this programmable paint-mixer is not the average modeler with occasional demands.

I would think the small specialty hobby retailer {like a specialty miniature war-game/figure shop) who could potentially profit by making a batch of a certain colored paints for a new line of figures he is selling would be the best user.

Guest Peterpools

OMG ..fantastic!

3D Modeling, Computer paint mixing.

next step ..

Just buy the model, shake well open the box and presto: built and done.

All kidding aside .. love the Idea.

Peter

I hope it works well for those that buy it.  Mixing my own colors is kinda fun, and I already don't like cleaning my airbrush much.  Cleaning a paint mixer would be yet another thing to clean.

Gaz

I find the challenge of applying color theory to modeling one of the major reasons why I  still build model kits.

I love color and working to match colors with my own custom mixes.

I find the challenge of applying color theory to modeling one of the major reasons why I  still build model kits.

I love color and working to match colors with my own custom mixes.

OFF-TOPIC

You know, I find that rather useful as it explains why the way I model seems to differ from other people.

I know nothing of colour theory, I'm not sure I need to to enjoy what I do. I am very interested in the mechanical side of the aeroplanes I model which is why I end up doing endless research into all kinds of obscure stuff. I didn't need to find out how a Spandau 08/15 works to build a DR.I, yet I found and downloaded a lovely set of drawings that did exactly that. Not that I modelled the guns as anything but a bit of plastic and etch, I still found it useful to know where the belt fed in, the belt or clips came out and where the empty shells were ejected.

So, for me, the model I build has to be as 'correct' as I can build it, mechanically and historically. I'm happy to let the 'plane present itself after that, which is why I struggle with some of the paint effects people like to adopt.

I think this means we both enjoy our hobbies in different ways, which sounds pretty good to me

I can't see I'm going to buy a Chronocolor, I'm happy mixing acrylics on a tile which also gives millions of shades...

Richard