New 1/32 F-4K/M (FG.1/FGR.2) Phantom kit announced by HKM

Derek B

So, does this f4b4 come with rigging then?

F4B = Fighter type 4, Boeing

F4F = Fighter type 4, Grumman

F4U = Fighter type 4, Vought

F4H = Fighter type 4, McDonnell

From late 1962 onwards...

F-4B = first operational Phantom II

F-4F = Luftwaffe Phantom II

etc

No rigging.

I know you're a wind-up Dr Dave but just in case you had a senior moment

Tony

And I wasn't aware that the UK Phantoms had received the big reinforcing strap across the belly either.  Hmm....

Any of you Brit types have any more info on that?  When and to what airplanes was it applied??

Contemporaneous with the US Navy J to S slat mod. It reinforced the wing box. USAF F-4Es got it with the slat retrofit (later F-4Es, built after Navy production had ceased, had thicker lower torque box skins, giving a pronounced "lip" in the skin aft, where it coincided with the MLG line etc)

Sorry to be vague. Maybe Derek has the technical order stuff. My guess is circa 1980.

Tony

Hi Jennings - you seem to be 'the Man' when it comes to schemes for the forthcoming HK Brit 'Toom so may I put my pennyworth in and ask you consider the blue and yellow markings carried by the unfortunate XV428 CC when marked up as the 228 OCU display aircraft. I know she went on to crash at Abingdon in September '88 but she did look rather special even if was only for a short time!

All the best.

Steve S. - 'Phantom Phanatic' 

Derek, as the photo of XV421 above shows, we may require insider guidance as to which FG1/FGR2s went through the belly strap upgrade at Brough, and the time period.

Contemporaneous with the US Navy J to S slat mod. It reinforced the wing box. USAF F-4Es got it with the slat retrofit (later F-4Es, built after Navy production had ceased, had thicker lower torque box skins, giving a pronounced "lip" in the skin aft, where it coincided with the MLG line etc)

Sorry to be vague. Maybe Derek has the technical order stuff. My guess is circa 1980.

Tony

The RAF Phantoms underwent a 100FI Return To Works (RTW) programme throughout the 1880's and early 90's. BAE Systems Brough (then British Aerospace - BAe) in east Yorkshire carried out the work and the aircraft flew into and out of Holme-on Spalding moor initally, then RAF Scampton upon completion of the rework.

The RAF aircraft (FGR.2) were critical on fatigue life and were due for retirement in the early 80's. However, the falklands conflict dictated that their service life necessitated temporary extension whilst the development of the Tornado F.2 continued. The modified several things on the aircraft, but chiefly the main core of the modification was the strengthening of the lower mainplane with a machined steel butt strap in the same manner as those fitted to F-4S aircraft. Additionally, the outer wing pannels were replaced with new build items that provided an extra 25FI to the wings.

I worked as an aircraft inspector on these aircraft for this programme (Phantom YF-4M, FGR.2 and F-4J (UK) aircraft) for the removal, installation and 1st and 2nd line and bay servicing of the ejection seats, survival equipment and flying clothing from 1988 to 1991 (I also looked after the same equipment for Hawk, Buccaneer and Pilatus PC-9 aircraft as well) at RAF Scampton.

PhantomScampton001.jpg

PhantomScampton002.jpg

PhantomScampton.jpg

Derek