So does anyone else her think we need help with the LSP addiction?

1to1scale

My stash is quite restrained. 10, that's it.

My area of interest is rather specific. US jets. I have a list of all of the aircraft that I hope to someday model. The list occasionally gets a new entry but not often. I have added some US WWII prop fighters lately, but currently don't own any. My entire list of wanted kits is about 50 deep. If some wonderful new kit is released that isn't on my list I have no real interest. Helps keep expenses down.

Although I have a narrow focus my enjoyment of the hobby is still at a high level. Can't imagine not building models.

Dan

I'm not sure about collectivism; acquisitiveness? I do suffer from "must have" syndrome when it comes to Crowns and 1oz silver coins, and the great thing is I don't have to build them: they just "are".

Still thinning the stash and giving away or selling kits at a loss to remove the emotional guilt of the hundred that remain.

Tony

I remember as I got older (my mid forties) I realised that my dexterity and sight were not quite as good as they were ten years previously.

So I consciously decide to major on the larger scales, namely, 1/32 and 1/24 because the numbers of kits being released each year were nowhere near as prolific as with 1/48 scale and I enjoyed the look of the larger sizes.  

This cut down on the modelling budget pressures and everything was fine until the start of the nineties.

Then, things started to change with Trumpeter coming onto the scene and subjects I'd never dreamt of becoming available!

This was the start of the 'rot' in my good intentions and the stash started growing faster and faster until I've ended up with a rather larger collection than I could ever have predicted.  

No complaints, but it can get out of control if your not careful with the buying.

How did the larger scales get so prolific? We must be buying them then.

The hobby is dying so it's a good reason to give it a stay of execution by buying lots of models.............doctor where's my medication!  :help:   

Another advantage to having a large stash, I have bought some kits as really good deals, and I keep them as trading fodder if I happen to find someone that has a kit I want. I still have a few “holy grail†kits I am looking for, such as the Wingnut DH.2, that I will trade some of my more desirable kits, or just plain cash for.

You guys that have 10 or 12 in your stash, have way too much will power.......that's just barely a decent mail order ! LOL  All that tells me is,.................. that I AM WEAK.... hee hee...... :frantic: :frantic: :frantic: Geez, maybe I REALLY do need a doctor??   Seriously, though, in my case, I started building with an Aurora B 47 kit, very small as I remember, and I think I was a bout 6......... but the best part for me , personally, is the researching, it is to this end that I have amassed a huge collection of Military items, books, and have met a good number of real wartime Pilots, Navigators, and other aircrew. I have also managed to get many autographs from these fellows, and personal letters..... guys like Russ Bannock, Tom Neil, Hugh Godefroy, Hamish Mahaddie, and Paul Tibbets, to name but a very few. Some , I became very good friends with, and was even invited to the home of Group Captain Hamish Mahaddie's home for afternoon tea , and to peruse his collection....... all awesomely incredible memory making times, and all because I started out building models,.....and YES, I have too many models too, and even if it is a pain for the Mrs. to dispose of when I move along, it is still better than an ashtray full of old buts, and empty whiskey bottles in the trash.....  just a few random thoughts................. oh and the BEST part, if I didn't have an interest and a collection of models, I wouldn't have 'met' all of you guys and gals........so to me this is a WIN, no matter how you cut it........ and yes I am still weak...and probably do need the doctor, but what the Hell eh?? :mental: :mental: :innocent:

I remember as I got older (my mid forties) I realised that my dexterity and sight were not quite as good as they were ten years previously.

So I consciously decide to major on the larger scales, namely, 1/32 and 1/24 because the numbers of kits being released each year were nowhere near as prolific as with 1/48 scale and I enjoyed the look of the larger sizes.  

This cut down on the modelling budget pressures and everything was fine until the start of the nineties.

Then, things started to change with Trumpeter coming onto the scene and subjects I'd never dreamt of becoming available!

This was the start of the 'rot' in my good intentions and the stash started growing faster and faster until I've ended up with a rather larger collection than I could ever have predicted.  

No complaints, but it can get out of control if your not careful with the buying.

How did the larger scales get so prolific? We must be buying them then.

The hobby is dying so it's a good reason to give it a stay of execution by buying lots of models.............doctor where's my medication!  :help:   

First, the reason that I went to 1/32 scale in the late 1980s was, like yours,  because there were too many expensive model kits available in 1/48. Besides, I like the larger scales as I can see and handle them more easily as I get older. Looks like we are in agreement there.

But, second, where do you get the crazy notion that the hobby is dying  :mental:? What an inane statement.  Every now and then someone claims that the hobby is dying. I have the feeling that it is a bit of trolling on your part. The hobby of model making itself is in fine condition. People have been making models going back to 800 B.C. (back when I started). New manufacturers are entering the 1/32 market with new kits - not just their versions of the old favorites. I have never seen any statistics that come near to proving that your statement has any validity at all.  For shame on you. :DodgeBall:  

A new kit, plus a bit of AM, some new paints.... still cheaper than a round of golf (with eats and drinks).  Least that's what I keep telling myself (and my wife).

For record here's my stash

1/32 Planes

Hasegawa F6F

Hasegawa A6M5c

Hasegawa JU87G - Kanonvogel (started)

PCM Spitfire Mk IXc

Trumpeter P38L

HKM B17E

Wingnut Wings Camel Le Rhone

Wingnut Wings SE5a - in the mail on the way to me

1/35 Armor (4 tanks)

Warhammer - Imperial knight warden (it just a cool looking model)

My want list is pretty short. Tamiya's 1/32 Mossie, 1/32 Mustang, 1/32 F4u1a, and the coming sooner or later HK 1/32 Lancaster.

With my current completion rate of about 3 / year.  This should take me another 4-5 years (hopefully). 

As a previous poster said, there's nothing very unique in what I'm looking for, so no real reason to have a huge pile unless there's a good deal to be had.  Example, I got the Trumpy P38 for $50 CDN on Kijiji in Calgary and PCM Spit for $60 CDN during the XMAS sale at the LHS

Each to their own. 

I do get a little rush when I see a good deal and hit the 'BUY' button though.   :D

Simon

I have always contended that stash collecting and stash building are two thoroughly and wholly separate hobbies. 

I've said that for many years too , and I truly believe it.

I NEVER buy a kit with any thot whatsoever about selling it someday.

When I die they'll all go in a landfill just like me. My reference books

are another story. Books on specific aircraft will be sold as soon as

I'm done with the model(s) so someone else can benefit from them.

sellkits2small.jpg

With a modest stash of 24, I have to remind myself no more until...........it's hard yes, but having kicked a 30 year smoking habit 11 years go I haven't lapsed once........I'm also with Mike, when buying a kit the thought of perhaps selling again never even occurs to me........I must be strange........🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Edited by Bomber_County

But, second, where do you get the crazy notion that the hobby is dying   :mental:? What an inane statement.  Every now and then someone claims that the hobby is dying. I have the feeling that it is a bit of trolling on your part. The hobby of model making itself is in fine condition. People have been making models going back to 800 B.C. (back when I started). New manufacturers are entering the 1/32 market with new kits - not just their versions of the old favorites. I have never seen any statistics that come near to proving that your statement has any validity at all.  For shame on you.

You got a point there, i also think that our hobby is in a great state of living. Lot's of new kit's are brought onto the market, and that said......lot's of modelers are happy that this is happening. But there is a little trued also in the fact that the youngsters are not so thrilled anymore in the modeling hobby due to internet, smartphones and other electronic stuff. To say that the modelling hobby is dying is indeed a statement that is not true, because we all keep this hobby living. I'm sure within ten years we all still will be building models, and lot's of new people will join. So dying is not the right word, i would rather say modelling is a unique hobby that is keeping alive by all of us dy hard modelers.

Greetz

Danny