1/43rd scale DH Hornet Moth scratchbuild.

GuildAero

Here we have the tailplane and elevators made in 60 thou. styrene sheet.  The elevators are glued on to the tailplane halves with solvent glue at a slight droop, for interest.  There are no hints at hinges because the fabric is doped right across the joint twixt tailplane and elevators as is usual with De Havillands, including the much larger Dragon Rapide.  Underneath there is a wedge shaped gap to allow for down elevator, but up elevator just slightly wrinkles the fabric.  

There's a hole right through the fin which allows access to the horn that operated the elevators, the halves of which are joined with a metal bar.  The fronts of the tailplane halves are fitted in holes in the fuselage fairing shape.  These are rods of brass wire of 0.8mm diameter. The holes are drilled by hand using a pin chuck.  In the photograph it is all held mechanically, prior to detailing the surfaces and gluing them in.  As these flying surfaces are different colours from the main colour they will be painted separately and attached last thing, along with the relevant straining wires.

001_zpsqrems3ns.jpg

The wire joiners in place.

002_zpsnuqrayqf.jpg

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks Hubert.  Just filling in with something for me while all the slot racers have their "silly season".  I might start doing some paintings again soon once I find my easel.

Cheers,

Martin

As promised, photos up to date.  Alas, I have been gardening and researching an English Electric Lightning as my dear wife has ordered me an Airfix 1/48th scale kit, out of the blue.

Anyway, here we have an as yet incomplete Milliput pattern for the windscreen (an absolute bar steward to hold in any direction!)

Tailplane and elevators with rib-impressed 10 thou. skins. Elevators slightly down. I like that look.

Wings started. Roughly shaped with chisels to save on dust production.  One 10 thou skin waiting for rib impression.  

Prop. sanding sealered and painted a la real kite at Felthorpe.

001_zpsfkblx7ma.jpg

002_zpsyy4rtqfv.jpg

More anon.  

Martin

I'm off to persuade a little more Milliput on to that pattern, then cook it to harden.

Went to buy a mini freezer from a local guy and he offered me this workmate, cheap, which has its legs welded down which means I can move it round outside the shed.  I use it to put the bandsaw or belt sander on so the dust blows away. It lives outdoors.  So useful.  I can only get decent pictures in outside light.  I suppose I should keep a neutral sheet of something for photos, but I ain't a photographer!

Martin