Hasegawa Me 262 Aufklärer Ia

Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

nice work, I bought one of those "odds n ends" bags as well and will buy another

I always look in that assortment first and usually find the section that is needed.

Nice progress, Alain. I think you should totally scratch or re-enforce the front LG as well.

Yeah, I know it would look better, I'll see what I can do.

Here's what I did today, all in the main gear bay:

cyIirmZ.jpg

RfFCOeO.jpg

The painted fuel cells with Tamiya Rubber Black spray. I will ad retaining straps next before gluing in place.

9ZJbZDc.jpg

Here is the almost closed fuselage bottom, as the tanks need a bit of material removed for the section to fall perfectly in place.

aGsis6a.jpg

There are still details to ad in this area before painting and I will try to finish this in the next coupe days...

Bye for now,

Alain

Hi all!

I always appreciate your comments very much! I am glad you enjoy this build, which I think is a lot of fun for just $22.50 Canadian!

I marked and shortened the 2 fuel tanks. I used my silver pencil as it is well visible on the black surface.

GRhBi9G.jpg

The next part is all your fault Shaka! I didn't want to consider this at first, but your suggestion was  just too logical and that big ejection pin garanteed a lot of work to clean up!

So in all it took less than 10 minutes to do this, after finding a perfect size part in my assorted bin! No drilling, just thinning the strut to fit the aluminium part.

AUilm4E.jpg

bK4CFRO.jpg

ZcnjabZ.jpg

There!  And not glued yet, so I can avoid any masking and assemble in the end after painting.

Back to the main gear area. I started to box in the well in the wings. The rivets are raised by passing the riveter in the back of the part with a firm pressure.

jGCyBFh.jpg

The next photos show the main leg construction reusing the sections of kit parts with the locating pin and wheel axel. The aluminium tube had to be filed down to fit in the kit.

qB6kdw2.jpg

IfjO2ht.jpg

LFJY49w.jpg

I couldn't help taking 20 minutes to put this Tamiya 1/100 scale 262! Nice looking little model!

EM7vpB9.jpg

Now finally primer on the fore part to prepare final scribing and riveting. The tape in place is the first strip indicating the rivet location on the fuselage.

scDN8Iw.jpg

Tonight I worked on the final details inside the wheels wells necessary before gluing the bottom wing section.

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Hi all!

That's the trouble, it is hard to take shortcuts to finish faster! 

So here is the additional work done in the main wheel bay. First here are the retraction cylinders which fit on a tiny section of brass rod inserted on the gear leg.

JK4NQHj.jpg

Both complete.

UqET6qV.jpg

Here is the inner door retraction mechanism..

ZnuUkTI.jpg

...in place in the centerline of the wheel well, which is complete except a couple of strenthening plates.

16VIUxN.jpg

I finally figured a way to make the camera bays. I will fit 0.010 clear styrene disks and seal with the very thin aluminium ring (I hope I can make a second one!). This will hide the glue joint.

The cameras (just lens in fact) will be slipped inside each tube before placing the clear disks and ring.

8c0isOn.jpg

One last thing tonight, I had a bit of shrink between the kit plastic and epoxy putty where the old canopy fairing had been removed, and it kept reappearing over and over. Actually the putty had come loose and was moving with all the manipulations so I superglued heavily from the inside. After a couple coats of paint and sanding, the problem appears solved...

AnhfAp6.jpg

Thanks again for all remarks and comments!

Alain