P-51 B Big Mac Junior

FlorinM

Hi florin

Coming along nicely. Good work on the seat. I probably don't have to tell you but feel it needs to be said. The photos posted by Martin, while lovely, are of a restored -D- model. B/C versus the -D- flight compartment are very different. This is also a later block airplane. The floor in production aircraft of the war years were not natural wood with skid plates. All floors, regardless of model were uniformly black.

Keep up the great work...

Geoff

Thank you! Work on the seat continues, I've enlarged the central hole and this is the kapok filled cushion that I'll use (or was it a dinghy?)

DSCF1513.jpg

It was a cushion

...not a dingy

• 1 month later...

Back on track! The oil cooler has got me scratching my head for quite a while. As can be seen in the picture, the piece supplied by Eduard in its set dedicated for the Revell kit is nothing but a joke, inaccurate in shape, pattern and size. The solution I've found involved the Eduard exterior set for the new P-51 D from Tamiya - much better!

As I am no Mustang expert can anybody please tell me what was the paint used in the oil cooler bay? Was it chromate yellow, zinc chromate, silver dope or was it left in its natural metal finnish? Thank you in advance!

DSCF1520.jpg

Edited by FlorinM

• 2 weeks later...

Florin,

It's difficult to know the answer to your question. Normal internal structures, not exposed to the elements usually got GZC due to poor weather resistance. Something like the main spar was YZC to due repeated exposure to the elements. I left mine natural metal. I would suppose, and this is only conjecture, that if anything, it would be YZC.

HTH

Geoff

The floor in production aircraft of the war years were not natural wood with skid plates. All floors, regardless of model were uniformly black.

Geoff

Hey Geoff, the top photo doesn't look like a resto. Weren't the floors wood that

was coated with a non skid black ?

Just curious.