P-51 B Big Mac Junior

FlorinM

Hello,

Although I don't think vintage Revell kits merit this kind of attention I applaud your effort.

To me, The supposed difference in engine firewall/bulkhead dimension's aren't anything to be bothered with.

Are you native European? Your English is rather good.

Happy hobby...............

Cal

I must confess that I like the Razorback and not the D. There are three kits of the B in 1:32th scale - Rutman's resin kit (they say it's the best), and in plastic you have the old (1969) Revell kit and the Trumpeter (circa 2005). For me the Revell kit does merit this kind of attention because correcting the errors on its newer counterpart, the Trumpeter kit, is a much, much more extensive and complicated job - nose too sharp, wrong wing profile, fuselage contour issues, plus you'll have to fill the potholes they call rivets and then sand the whole thing smooth.

The Revell kit has the spinner too small, nose is narrow by two millimeters, cockpit is spartan, landing gear bay too shallow, and you'll have to sand it smooth and engrave the panel lines, but it has no real show stopper...

Hi Florin

Agree with that, carry on.

This is a waiting solution to a "Tamigawa" expected alternative...

Thanks for posting

raf

Edited by rafju

You are really going to town on this old old kit. Looks good! You are correct about the Revell kit being the best start point out of a choice between Trumpy and Revell. The Revell shapes are much closer and you only have to correct the details and that is much easier.

J

That I am, Sir, that I am! The kit might be old, but it is a lot of fun. I just test fitted the Aires cockpit and it goes in like a charm, no filing down required, it just fits like a glove!

Florin,

You might find this helpful...http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21830

There's all kinds a stuff in this particular thread. The Mustang is the first topic. There might be more Mustang stuff deeper in the thread. I was mostly interested in the photos of the chin inlet. The photos in this thread show it to good advantage.

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing