Revell 1/32 Bf109G-10 Erla

Thunnus

My name is John and I have a build that I would like to share here on LSP.  I've been awed by skill exhibited the modelers here and have been reluctant to post here.  I've been taking baby steps toward this community... posting a few builds in RFI... sharing some 1/48 scale work.. showing my Black 1 Dora build after the fact.  But I think I it is time to step in with both feet.  This seems to be a good place to learn and grow and I am always looking to learn and become a better modeler.

Here are the main components of the build.  

IMG_0715.jpg

On the Ready Line:

Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-10 Erla kit

Revell 1/32 Bf 109G-6 kit

Aires Bf 109G-10 Cockpit set for Revell kit

A.M.U.R. Reaver Bf 109G-10 Erla Correction Set

A.M.U.R. Reaver Bf 109G/K Spinner and Prop Blades

Barracuda Studios Bf 109G-10 Intake and Exhausts

Montex Maxi Mask for Bf 109G-10 Revell kit

On Standby:

Alleycat Models Small Wheel Well Bulge Covers for Revell kit

Henri Daehne Bf 109G-10/K VDM Prop kit

I think I will be doing an Erla G-10 with the small wing bulges, hence the G-6 kit.  I've built this particular kit before so I am going to dispense with my customary sprue tour and jump straight into a look at the aftermarket parts.  I am very close to completing my Dora so this build will get started soon.

Edited by Thunnus

So let's get started with the Aftermarket Party tour!

The one that I am most excited (and nervous) about is the A.M.U.R. Reaver G-10 Correction Set and 109G/K Spinner and Prop assembly.  I believe they are a Russian company and I purchased these from a Russian vendor on Ebay.  

IMG_1031.jpg

The G-10 Correction Set is essentially a engine cowling replacement for the Revell G-10 kit.  It is comprised of four pieces cast in smooth creamy resin.  In addition to the one-piece cowling, you get the gun breech cover that connects the engine cowling to the front windscreen area, a supercharger intake and the grilles for the oil cooler intake.

IMG_1032.jpg

I don't know enough to make any claims on the accuracy of this upgrade but I can tell you that it makes a noticeable difference in the lines of the G-10 cowling, especially in width.  Looking at the comparison pics on the AMUR Reaver website, you can see the fatter, more stout cross section of the Reaver cowling (on the right) versus the Revell cowling.

DSCF6209_1200.jpg

Accurate or not, I happen to like the chunkier, more... pugnacious stance of the this cowling.  The resin seems to be a quality casting with no apparent bubbles and crisp panel lines.  The small air scoops are hollow... a nice touch!

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

I won't be able to show you a direct comparison between the complete cowlings since the Reaver cowling will require some major fuselage surgery before it is put into place.  That's the nervous part for me.  I haven't done a large exterior resin replacement like this and I rather dislike working with CA glue.  I'm crossing my fingers that it goes smoothly and any tips or words of warning would be appreciated.  I also have a Alleycat Models replacement cowling.  It didn't fit well on my last G-10 build so I am just presenting it here for comparison purposes.  It was designed as a drop-in replacement to the Revell cowling, I think the biggest difference is the space between the gun troughs.

IMG_1039.jpg

The Reaver 109G/K prop set was purchased to ensure that the spinner is a perfect match for the cowling.

IMG_1042.jpg

The spinner and backplate is cast as a single piece, which is a big improvement over the 2-piece Revell spinner, which puts a very awkward seam in the middle of the spinner.

IMG_1044.jpg

The blades fit tightly into the spinner and the whole prop assembly looks good to my eye.  I also have a Henri Daehne 109G/K spinner and prop but I'll be saving that for a future K-4 build methinks.

IMG_1046.jpg

Rounding out this update is the Barracuda Studios Exhaust and Intake set.  I picked this up primarily to replace the kit exhaust, which do not have hollow ends and due to their cross-sectional shape and stacked orientation, would be difficult to hollow out manually.

IMG_1047.jpg

This set also includes a supercharger intake and some small air scoops that will both go unused since the Reaver set takes care of those already.

IMG_1040.jpg

The aftermarket tour to be continued...

Edited by Thunnus

Great to see this project at it's earliest stage. I'm contemplating this as my next 1:32 build, and until I read this post I'd not heard of the 'Reaver' resin cowl - may be something to consider assuming I can get it to New Zealand without having to take-out another mortgage !!

Following closely.

Ian.

Let's move on to the Aires resin cockpit.  I really like the detail that Aires puts into their resin products.  However, there is sometimes a price to pay for this additional detail.  These are are not drop-in replacements and fitting an Aires cockpit into a model usually requires some amount of cutting and sanding of the kit parts and can be a challenge.  This particular set looks typical of Aires and is comprised primarily of grey resin parts and augmented by some photoetch. Two sets of breeches are provided for the different types of center-firing cannon.

IMG_1048.jpg

The centerpiece of the set is the one piece cockpit floor. Warning bells started ringing in my head as soon as I saw this piece.  The casting block is HUGE and will be a challenge to cut this away and leave the thin walls of the cockpit floor and bulkhead intact. I normally would have the option of leaving the majority of the casting block in place (if it fits) since it would be unseen but Revell incorporates spars for the wing into the bottom of the cockpit floor.  I'm going to look at this area a bit closer in the near future to figure out some options.

IMG_1051.jpg

The sidewalls have some nice detail.  Keep in mind that there are additional parts that are added to the Revell sidewalls so they aren't as sparse as they appear.

IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

The kit instrument panel is pretty darn good in my opinion.  I think it would look very good with punched instrument decals.

IMG_1052.jpg

The Aires panel is a multi-media affair with a main panel made of resin, several layers of PE for the instrument bezels and a printed acetate sheet for the instrument dials.  The Revell panel is good but I think the Aires panel will be a little better.  The Aires PE fret also comes with some additional items such as harnesses and buckle hardware as separate pieces so that you can substitute your own material for the fabric harnesses if you so choose.  I don't always use everything included in an aftermarket set.  I like to compare them with what the kit offers and sometimes I'll choose the kit version over the aftermarket version.  For example, I don't like the flat trim wheels and will probably opt for the kit plastic.

IMG_1053.jpg

I have different choices for the wings.  From right to left: Revell G-10 with the large wheel bulges, Alley Cat Models G-10 with the small bulges and Revell G-6 with the small bulges.

IMG_1055.jpg

My subject will most likely be a G-10 with the small wing bulges so I am planning to use the Revell G-6 wings.  On my previous G-10 build, I found that the Alley Cat wings were on the small side.  This time around, I used a caliper to verify this.

IMG_1056.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

Laying the Alley Cat wing over the G-6 wing, you can see the difference in size.  It would fairly simple to cut and fit a shim to address this size difference so the Alley Cat wing may be put into service when I decide to build the G-6 kit.  For my G-10, I think the Revell G-6 wings will be a good plug-n-play replacement.

IMG_1060.jpg

Edited by Thunnus

So let's get started with the Aftermarket Party tour!

The one that I am most excited (and nervous) about is the A.M.U.R. Reaver G-10 Correction Set and 109G/K Spinner and Prop assembly.  I believe they are a Russian company and I purchased these from a Russian vendor on Ebay.  

IMG_1031.jpg

The G-10 Correction Set is essentially a engine cowling replacement for the Revell G-10 kit.  It is comprised of four pieces cast in smooth creamy resin.  In addition to the one-piece cowling, you get the gun breech cover that connects the engine cowling to the front windscreen area, a supercharger intake and the grilles for the oil cooler intake.

IMG_1032.jpg

I don't know enough to make any claims on the accuracy of this upgrade but I can tell you that it makes a noticeable difference in the lines of the G-10 cowling, especially in width.  Looking at the comparison pics on the AMUR Reaver website, you can see the fatter, more stout cross section of the Reaver cowling (on the right) versus the Revell cowling.

DSCF6209_1200.jpg

Accurate or not, I happen to like the chunkier, more... pugnacious stance of the this cowling.  The resin seems to be a quality casting with no apparent bubbles and crisp panel lines.  The small air scoops are hollow... a nice touch!

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

I won't be able to show you a direct comparison between the complete cowlings since the Reaver cowling will require some major fuselage surgery before it is put into place.  That's the nervous part for me.  I haven't done a large exterior resin replacement like this and I rather dislike working with CA glue.  I'm crossing my fingers that it goes smoothly and any tips or words of warning would be appreciated.  I also have a Alleycat Models replacement cowling.  It didn't fit well on my last G-10 build so I am just presenting it here for comparison purposes.  It was designed as a drop-in replacement to the Revell cowling, I think the biggest difference is the space between the gun troughs.

IMG_1039.jpg

The Reaver 109G/K prop set was purchased to ensure that the spinner is a perfect match for the cowling.

IMG_1042.jpg

The spinner and backplate is cast as a single piece, which is a big improvement over the 2-piece Revell spinner, which puts a very awkward seam in the middle of the spinner.

IMG_1044.jpg

The blades fit tightly into the spinner and the whole prop assembly looks good to my eye.  I also have a Henri Daehne 109G/K spinner and prop but I'll be saving that for a future K-4 build methinks.

IMG_1046.jpg

Rounding out this update is the Barracuda Studios Exhaust and Intake set.  I picked this up primarily to replace the kit exhaust, which do not have hollow ends and due to their cross-sectional shape and stacked orientation, would be difficult to hollow out manually.
IMG_1047.jpg

This set also includes a supercharger intake and some small air scoops that will both go unused since the Reaver set takes care of those already.

IMG_1040.jpg

The aftermarket tour to be continued...

I also have AMUR correction set. And I m thinking to start Revell s G10 soon

Good luck 

Let's have a look at three Bf109 spinners.  The shiny one is by HD.  The cream colored spinner is AMUR Reaver's.  The remaining one is the Revell spinner.  More alike than different, they all feature the correct teardrop shape of the blade openings.  The HD and Reaver spinner go one up on the Revell offering by presenting some very fine rivet detail.  The Revell version is knocked down even further by a strange decision to cut the spinner in half.  By Revell's reckoning, the modeler is supposed to glue the blades into the lower half of the spinner and then glue the top half on.  Makes no sense... leaves a very awkward seam line that is difficult to fix due to the blades getting in the way.  And how are you supposed to put a spiral on the spinner with the blades in place?

IMG_1084.jpg

Looking at the spinner alone, I would call the HD and Reaver even steven.  However, HD goes that extra step and presents a complete prop hub and cannon barrel assembly.  Granted that much of this detail is lost with the spinner mounted, it is nevertheless nice to look at before it gets covered up.  HD also provides a spinner backplate with detail molded onto its face.

IMG_1085.jpg

Profiles of the three spinners looks to be very similar.  The Revell and Reaver spinners follow a very similar curvature. The HD prop has little bit less curvature than the other two.

IMG_1090.jpg

Note the different sizes of the holes in the spinners.  The larger hole on the HD spinner can be explained by the separate cannon barrel that is provided.  The Revell and Reaver spinners have the cannon barrel molded as part of the spinner.  I may modify the Reaver spinner and add a piece of hollow brass for the cannon barrel.

IMG_1091.jpg

The prop blades have some interesting differences.  The HD blade has the bluntest tip and has a generally parallel outline.  The Reaver blade has a noticeably wider waist, giving the blade a slight pear-like profile.  The Revell blade shape sits between the two, sharing Reaver's pointier tip but not as wide a waist.

IMG_1086.jpg

Looking at the trailing edges of the blades, HD's is razor sharp.  Surprisingly, the Reaver's trailing edge is on the fat side and is in need of a sharpening, which should be easily accomplished with a few whisks on the sanding block.  The edge of the Revell blade commendably thin, almost as sharp as the HD blade.  In terms of overall thickness, the Revell blade is the thinnest.  Too thin I would say.  It gives the blade a weird twisty look from certain angles.

IMG_1088.jpg

Another view of the blades, comparing their outlines.

IMG_1089.jpg

Once again, I have no judgements to offer regarding the accuracy of these spinners and prop blades.  Just a comparison for comparison's sake.

Edited by Thunnus

I did some playing around with the G-10 today and actually crossed a few big hurdles unexpectedly.  The kit cockpit floor and wing spar was put into place to see how they relate with the fuselage parts.

IMG_1096.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

I then sawed the Aires resin sidewalls from their casting blocks and dry-fit them to the resin cockpit floor.

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

To my utter surprise, the Aires cockpit seemed to fit WITHOUT any removal or trimming of any kind!  What the???  Fits even with the ginormous casting block in place.

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

However... the wing spar will definitely not fit without removal of at least part of the casting block.  So I started removing it bit-by-bit to see if I could get the wing spar AND the Aires cockpit into the fuselage.

IMG_1104.jpg

It didn't take much sawing to get enough of the casting block out of the way so that the spar would fit under the resin cockpit floor.

IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Fit of the cockpit is very preliminary as no positive tabs or location pins are available.  The fit of the rear bulkhead MAY be an issue.

IMG_1108.jpg

Edited by Thunnus