A thread for posting images of beautiful aeroplanes.

Guest Airfixer

Sukhoi Su-15TM...I'd really love to see one released in 32nd scale...

YJcnm46.jpg

HSmP3ou.jpg

WAsgpKI.jpg

kSbvu7H.jpg

8C2Mwtr.jpg

Big and beautiful...

Lf78Fxx.jpg

DxTjrSO.jpg

O8tW2U3.jpg

Grumman F11F-1 Tiger... <sigh>

YXVy1TL.jpg

JL0efUb.jpg

sWQnr9i.jpg

9Upe5Q6.jpg

fxcCWZE.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

I noticed that the fins (and rudders) of later jets like the Pak-Fa, the Chinese J-20 or the F-35 are significantly smaller than on earlier jets (like the F-22, the Typhoon 2, the Rafale, or the CF-105 above).

Has something been found that enhances lateral stability of modern jets, and prevents Dutch roll, besides computer-controlled flying ?

Hubert

I just am crazy about this photo. I really dig the contrast between all the polished bare aluminum and the silver painted wings. Though probably not indicative of a wartime bird's finish, I still believe the contrast really makes a statement of how the BMF Mustangs​ must have looked.

13987362_1581760065459029_67562721732504

I noticed that the fins (and rudders) of later jets like the Pak-Fa, the Chinese J-20 or the F-35 are significantly smaller than on earlier jets (like the F-22, the Typhoon 2, the Rafale, or the CF-105 above).

Has something been found that enhances lateral stability of modern jets, and prevents Dutch roll, besides computer-controlled flying ?

Hubert

I am no expert but I think big rudders are need for control at high angle of attack. Two are less blanked by the fuselage and can be made smaller (see boeing/saabs T-X). The Pak-Fa uses its, 3d nozzles to reduce them further in size.