F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair, Midway 1943 question ( Arkansas Traveler)

Guest Martinnfb

I've built 4 Tamiya birdcage Corsairs and 2 -1A's but this thread is really tempting me to build another birdcage! I can't help myself!!!!! LOL

Darn. Now that i am in the finishing stages of my arkansas traveler f4u1 build, all this pops up lol

Many things i would have done differently now...

I just had that single picture with Reid standing up on the wing to go with, along with the montex plan and side views.

Didn't come out as accurate as i wanted it to be. It's not a three tone camo is it?

It's the blue gray over gray?

Mmmmm. Now I'll go sulk in a corner i guess.

Anyways, the non accurate build will be posted in rfi soon enough

Karim

Edited by karimb

That guy is really straining to pull the prop thru! Notice the oil stains from the gun bays. I like the incredible variety of shades of paint, chips, stains, and general wear, almost all sun bleached to a dead flat finish.

Hi Martin,

I owe you an update on the colors and other things - you're second posted image of Arkansas Traveller shows that I misread the signs that were there.  I won't be able to get to this tonight, but I'll try to work something up tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dana

Hello Dana,

thank you for your help. I have been browsing the net, trying to find out more error evolution of the armour plate on a Birdcage Corsair. And it seems that there were at least 3 versions of it. However on the first posted picture of Arkansas traveler it looks like there is some kind of padding on the plate. Would that be possible, or is it just an optical illusion caused by shade etc. ?

Also i've realized that I have to replicate those 3 studs supporting the frame, not fun :).

Cheers

M.

12064763363_83bf2366a2_o.png

Hi Martin,

I keep looking at the pix of Arkansas Traveler posted here, but I just can't be certain of how the aircraft was painted.  I am, however, certain that it wasn't predominantly Blue Gray/Light Gray with some repaints of Dark Blue - you second shot shows that I missed the boat on that call.  The stippling on the cowl and the overspray of white onto the outer wing panel prove that the aircraft has been repainted in some form of the 4-tone Sea Blue scheme.

The 593rd F4U-1 introduced what would be the standard pilot's headrest, which this aircraft doesn't have.  Those headrests were introduced in May 1943, about a month after Vought began applying the 4-tone camouflage at the factory, so it's possible (if Arkansas Traveler was one of the later deliveries) that this is one of the early factory applications of that scheme.  The fact that the underside camouflage for the outer wing panel hasn't been carried onto the wing center section would also support that possibility. Just like the aircraft in the photo of the prop being pulled through, this aircraft has a fresh overpaint of a darker blue (either Sea Blue or Dark Blue) on the fuselage between the cowl and cockpit.

I'm bothered by the color demarcations on the leading edge of the wing - they should terminate beneath the leading edge, not at the leading edge.

Also, the outer wing panels suggest that they may have been Blue Gray - they were certainly delivered in overall Blue Gray, and many aircraft were repainted on the upper surfaces only before Briggs was able to switch to the newer scheme on it subcontract.

A good photo of the after fuselage would probably settle this once and for all.  I've checked all of my pix, hoping for a shot with #22 somewhere in the background - but no luck.  I don't think you'll have a great problem if you mimic the scheme seen in the photo of 465 (pulling the prop thru), but that's really just a guess.

Good luck with the model - sorry for the bum steer, and wish I had more to offer on the scheme!

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana,

Thank You kindly for your feedback. I have been searching for more pictures of Arkansas Traveler , however without luck. I have also noticed the painted wheel hub , probably blue-gray . To my knowledge the alloy hubs weren't primed, so maybe it was some kind of local paint shop addition.

My Corsair kit is waiting for engine and then is ready for paint. Once ready I will open related topic in WIP section and it would be great if you can participate along the way. As of this moment I am collecting documentation and available publications.

Cheers

Martin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...