Dead domed city

spacewolf

Hi all, I was getting bogged down by the Starfury build and needed something I could bash out in a short time. They were redoing the CCTV camera's at work and one of the guys gave me a few of the clear acrylic domes they were tossing out. One of them had a hole in it and I got inspired.... all those old sci- fi book covers of futuristic domed cities...

LJVnqLZ.jpg

I did a google search or two and soon had a folder of great images...

ltuIZls.jpg

The idea of a domed city... but one that was dead !.... a big hole in the dome from war or a meteorite .... I toyed with the idea of the second pic but had an old memory of a book where the city had been on a poison planet... looked like Eden but everything was poison including the atmosphere.... I was off to the races ! I'll be snagging a few bits from these kits...

kyzLX1A.jpg

but almost everything will be scratch built. Follow along if you like and see what madness I get into... :mental:

Vaughn

The dome base was 7 inches but I knew it had to be cut down a bit.. so a disc was cut out of .060...6 inches in diameter. Once I'd drawn a few lines I got busy.... no scale to this.. just using up bits of plastic I'd otherwise toss out. I had no idea what or how to build a small city, but buildings are just shapes.. so I started gluing bits on..

95SVPKe.jpg

I added a nose cone from a rocket as the center building and then test fitted the dome... looks sort of ok...

Fx2EG3y.jpg

More bits added... the odd kit part but mostly just made from scrap bits..

usvhtZd.jpg

Starting to look good ! I was chuffed at how it was looking ...

cHZw31T.jpg

Raised up an inch and the dome placed over it.. looks good..

uFTAcYV.jpg

But I needed a base for this.. a box made from .060... 9 in. square X 1 in. high..

D33xMGO.jpg

EGQqfY3.jpg

Placing the partly completed city and dome in place...I think this is gonna work !!

4KvJXeQ.jpg

So there we are. Tune in next week and we'll see what silliness I get up to with this ! :evil_laugh:

Edited by spacewolf