Photo

Please...Any chance of Skyraider decals?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 wrbrdmech

wrbrdmech

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Nope,
I'm not waiting on the Trump release. A-6? where is it?

I'm jumping into the wagon and making a sheet of USN versions now, and any USAF that might be applicable for the kit release version.

I have a couple of books on her.
Anyone that would like/want to help I'd be gratefull. I will choose only 3 mkgs to keep the decal cost as low as possible.

You can send any info to: zotz17@yahoo.com

Thanks

Eli,

Awesome you decided to do decals. I'm happy with the VA-176 scheme in the kit but have no doubt that many others would like a different option to build their SPAD in. I have 6 different Skyraider books and would like to offer any for reference. I'll make a couple of suggestions but would like to here from other guys on what schemes are most wanted. I have some good references for some Gloss Sea Blue AD-6's and I'd like to see VA-65 Grey/white off the Enterprise. I'll send some pics to your email.

For an Air Force A-1J I suggest Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Thanks,
Shane

:party0023:

#17 Eli Raphael

Eli Raphael

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:28 PM

Eli

which books do you have? i'll send you some if there not the same.

i had 6 A-1H land on deck yesterday

Glen :piliot:

Both squadron.com
Schiffer
Osprey
US Navy colors 2 & 3

Warpaint #18

Thanks

Eli Raphael
www.zotzdecals.net

"Love of beauty is taste. The creation of beauty is art."

#18 Eli Raphael

Eli Raphael

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Eli,

Awesome you decided to do decals. I'm happy with the VA-176 scheme in the kit but have no doubt that many others would like a different option to build their SPAD in. I have 6 different Skyraider books and would like to offer any for reference. I'll make a couple of suggestions but would like to here from other guys on what schemes are most wanted. I have some good references for some Gloss Sea Blue AD-6's and I'd like to see VA-65 Grey/white off the Enterprise. I'll send some pics to your email.

For an Air Force A-1J I suggest Blood, Sweat, and Tears

Thanks,
Shane

:party0023:

Thanks Shane,

Having a hard time figuring when an Air Force version can be used with the one offered as the model kit. :deadhorse:

Eli Raphael
www.zotzdecals.net

#19 KAGNEW

KAGNEW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Eli

we like the same good :wicked: and not so good books :innocent: . maybe next time.

Glen

:piliot:

#20 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Terrific news!

I've already notified that some early single-seat air force ADs used the spoked wheel rim.

The problem is simple: finding the pictures! A lot of pictures show the Skyraider in flight, so they're useless. Regarding pictures of parked planes, I've yet to check in all my books but I've only ONE picture of such a bird in my digital pics... This is a starboard picture and as the often worn nose art was usually on the port one, this is quite insufficient to release decals... Too bad!

Choosing a SVAF bird would be far easier!

#21 gunner

gunner

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello Eli,

The following would be my choices for the "first" set of decals for the Z-M Skyraider
All aircraft are from 1965-1967 aboard wood deck Essex class carriers operating in the Gulf of Tonkin.

1. VA-152 BuNo 139728 A-1H

2. VA 145 BuNo 142033 "Baby" A-1J

3. VA-165 BuNo 142065 CAG Bird A-1J

I have 5 reference books that I would be happy to share with you. I have access to the "Tailhook Association " reference library in San Diego if needed.
Please let me know If I can be of any help.

Thank you
Out here,

Gunner Mike Witous

TemeculaValley Model Club

Haud sceptrum Haud sentio Haud forsit

#22 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

2. VA 145 BuNo 142033 "Baby" A-1J

Ah yes, another member of the "Tonkin Gulf Yacht club"

Posted Image

#23 Eli Raphael

Eli Raphael

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

This one is included on the set.
Thanks

Eli Raphael
www.zotzdecals.net

#24 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

Personally Id LOVE to see something different color wise, like bu 37587 -

Posted Image

OR even something colorful and different like bu 35251 -

Posted Image

Brian

#25 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

There are many terrific Skyraider schemes but keep in mind that the AD is a mud-mover attack plane and, as such, most modellers prefer Skyraiders with warloads, mission markings, weathering and so on. Many beautiful schemes were only used during "peacetime". Hence, the loads were quite limited under the wings and the planes generally stay in pristine condition.

Last but not least, it is less easy from a sale perspective to release many different sheets as it is in quarter scale. So the choice of large scale decal manufacturers generally focus on the most obvious schemes. This is logical as this is a business! This shall stay profitable.

Obviously, if tons of sheets of the first released topics are sold, I'm sure Eli (as other companies) will consider other schemes and additional aftermarket parts.

#26 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,413 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

There are many terrific Skyraider schemes but keep in mind that the AD is a mud-mover attack plane and, as such, most modellers prefer Skyraiders with warloads, mission markings, weathering and so on. Many beautiful schemes were only used during "peacetime". Hence, the loads were quite limited under the wings and the planes generally stay in pristine condition.

Last but not least, it is less easy from a sale perspective to release many different sheets as it is in quarter scale. So the choice of large scale decal manufacturers generally focus on the most obvious schemes. This is logical as this is a business! This shall stay profitable.

Obviously, if tons of sheets of the first released topics are sold, I'm sure Eli (as other companies) will consider other schemes and additional aftermarket parts.

All true............to an extent. I enjoy different schemes and know a lot of modelers who are like me, who never base schemes chosen by "peacetime" vs combat.
I would agree, it would be good business to get teh most popular schemes, I just refuse to build anything bland and/or boring just because of where or when it served.

Brian

#27 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,176 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:10 AM

I'm with Brian. I like mine loade for bear and dirty from use, so markings would refleck those birds, no matter how "boaring".I also would rather wait for an AF bird :whistle: .........Harv

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#28 Rui Silva

Rui Silva

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hi Eli,

This is the South VNAF "Spad" I like:

Posted Image

It can be done straight from the Z-M A-1H kit.

Best regards,

Rui

#29 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,659 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Most SVAF ADs can be done straight from the kit as they generally used the spoke wheel.

However, warloads are far less attractive than the ones used on the Sandies...! Most of the time, SVAF ADs used dumb bombs, rarely rockets or napalm. they didn't use the "oddities" (SUU-11, SUU-14, etc.) found on AF planes.

Regarding the Navy schemes, the goal is to get the best compromise: find nice schemes (not boring ones) which were used in combat...!

I won't say that everybody is going to be happy. This would ask for a one meter square decal sheet covering all Navy squadrons...! ;-)

#30 TimW

TimW

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Some markings for Dieter Dengler's SPAD would be nice (VA-145).

http://www.flyingmul...ducts/HM-HA2906

Cheers,

Tim W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users