PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

That is just too cool with the lights on.  Most incredible build I've ever seen, hands down.

How did you manage to keep it all balanced on the landing gear? That tall tail seems like it would weigh it down

Matt 

Thank you Matt, your absolutely right, I've tried to put some weight into the front of the wing, but with the weight of the tail (massive resin) there is no chance to balance it.

The solution was to add a 'support' just aft of the main wheels, from clear sprue.

7698-210218074718.jpeg

It's almost invisible, but if you look closely... Anyways, it does the trick ;-) 

7698-210218082139.jpeg

Cheers: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Kent,

OH, DAMN.. the Lights...   :bow:  :bow:  wow.   Those lights are AMAZING.

And the ladder antenna.  I may have missed a page or two of your build thread - did you go into how you did that?  I have a Cat I think I may start next and that is one area that I would really like to get right.  BTW, it will be a 'Black Cat' as it were.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris

Could you ‘slide on' one of the outer wings if you wanted to..are they even built up?

I went for the short wings, because I wanted to focus on the interior of the hull.

I also wanted to leave some space for my future projects ;-)

Kent

Kent,

OH, DAMN.. the Lights...   :bow:  :bow:  wow.   Those lights are AMAZING.

And the ladder antenna.  I may have missed a page or two of your build thread - did you go into how you did that?  I have a Cat I think I may start next and that is one area that I would really like to get right.  BTW, it will be a 'Black Cat' as it were.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Chris

Thanks Chris, I will be looking forward for a 'black Cat' - One of my favorites too!

For the antenna, I had great benefit from the rigging work on the S.e.5a's.

I could do a short introduction how I did the 'ladder' antenna?

Regards: Kent