Zoukei Mura A-1H Skyraider

BloorwestSiR

Carl,

Holy smokes, you're flying through this build at John B speed. I on the other hand would still be fusing with the cockpit. Of that I'm quite sure. And speaking of cockpits, yours turned out great. it actually looks way better once painted then in just raw plastic. My only concern is the throttle quadrant. Still looks like a bunch of plastic blobs, and for the price of the kit they should have spent more time with the details. As I posted, I opted for the Eduard PE. Your IP actually looks better then the Eduard's one which came with the interior PE set. I'm leaning on going down the same path as you did.

Nice job getting the fuselage buttoned up. One question about the step from the spine part. Was it caused by a shift in alignment, or is it to small to correctly fit?

The wings are really coming along quite nicely. Thanks for the tip about checking their site to aid in the folding mechanisms. Not sure which way I'll go, or do one folded, one down. But I put a sticky note in the box about it.

One thing for sure, I'm really looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Thanks Joel!

The spine was operator error. As Peter had commented on, there aren't always a whole bunch of pins to help keep bits aligned. I sometimes use tape to hold parts together especially if a clamp is too awkward to get into place. I think the part shifted slightly when I tightened the tape. It's a small step and I've already corrected it with a bit of filler.

20170518_132756.jpg

It's the panel line behind the larger opening in the fuselage.

Man, quick work!

Thanks Ron! Oddly, I think I'm making so much progress because my wife is out of town so I have our two boys to myself. I'm a bit more firm on getting them to bed on time. This means I've ended up with more time at the bench. Go figure.

Great work Carl! I'm just in the final stages of my ZM A-1J. Very enjoyable build. I'd love to have a 1/32 A-1E/AD-5 to sit next to my two single seat Spads. One can only hope. 😉

-Shane

Thanks Shane! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only ones who has enjoyed building this kit.

An A1-E would be interesting to add but I'm happy that I have the one at the moment. My wife is starting to comment (good naturedly, thankfully) that the house is turning into a man cave. She's already claimed the pending new garage as hers to "restore some balance" as she says.

Edited by BloorwestSiR

Following the addendum, I glued on the inner upper wings starting with the leading edge and spar. These were clamped and allowed to dry before gluing the rear seam.

20170517_114654.jpg

I then repeated this on the other side. Here's the completed wing assembly.

20170517_161308.jpg

Folded:

20170517_161318.jpg

The right side had a nice tight fit between the inner and outer sections while there's a small gap on the left wing.

Carl,

I had that same issue with the wing sub assembly on my Scooter build. Somehow it shifted ever so slightly using tape and I ended up with a slight step. I think I'm going to invest is some plastic adjustable clamps for my next build. 

Joel

I then assembled the front cowl panels.

20170517_220734.jpg

I'll be painting them before installing the engine.

Then it was time to join fuselage to wing. I found the fit to be a bit tight and from earlier test fitting, I knew the front would need a clamp. Or two.

20170517_221853.jpg

It worked out though.

20170518_133006_HDR.jpg

Some exceptional work here.  I'm amazed at the spar structure.  (Rhetorical) How often does a kit have that??

Gary,

The only issue I have with that, is once you glue on the skin, all that detail of questionable accuracy is covered up. 

Joel

Carl,

The wing assembly is coming along quite nicely. I'm curious as to how those panel hatches will fit if you're gong to close those compartments.

Joel

Joel, the fit of the gun panels isn't too bad. Most are flush with the wing surface and only after gluing them in place, did I noticed one was slightly lower.

Real nice looking progress here. Hard to go wrong with the SPAD, such a cool airplane.

Thanks K2! I'm still trying to decide on markings though.

Some exceptional work here.  I'm amazed at the spar structure.  (Rhetorical) How often does a kit have that??

Thanks Gazzas! I've seen a few kits with some sort of wing structure. I think it helps to stiffen the wing itself as well as the joint to the fuselage.

Nice work Carl and that Skyraider is one big plane........whats that 48th scale Spit doing in the background though!

Regards. Andy

The Spad sure is a big plane. It certainly makes the Spitfire in the background look like a 1/48 kit doesn't it? That's my Keep It Civil GB entry which has sadly run into paint issues.

Gary,

The only issue I have with that, is once you glue on the skin, all that detail of questionable accuracy is covered up. 

Joel

That's very true Joel. Unless you go with one of those clear fuselage options. Which I'm not completely sure about myself.