My 109 addiction: Walter Oesau: Completed 26/Jan/18

Gazzas

Maaaaate!

That is looking very good. I may have to invest in a cutter one day!

Regards,

Kent,

Thank you.  I think you'll be very pleased if you do.  I'm trying to reduce my dependence on decals because I hate silvering and always end up with some that I don't catch right away.

Gaz

Hi Everyone,

I tired to make some ultra-fine stencils with my Silhouette Portrait, but discovered that the Oramask 810 didn't like making things that are too small.  While 2mm letters and numbers come out all right, 1mm high figures cause the Oramask 810 to lift off in unwanted places.  Maybe something stickier would hold better, but then you have to put that stickier substance against your paintwork.  So...  for the rest of my 1/48 scale builds, I will still have to depend on decals and HGW transfers.

Last night I placed the last of the HGW transfers I was going to do.  The transfers, when everything works perfect look really great.  But there is a lack of consistency with them.  Whether it's me or them, I have enough for the fine details of 3 more 109s.

This morning I did a pin wash with water and gray pigments to highlight the remaining panel lines.

b_131154.jpg

b_131227.jpg

Though this kit has been relegated to practice, I want to take it to the finish so I can have it sitting around until I do a large scale replacement someday.

My next weathering steps are the heavy exhaust stains:

OesauGreen13shootdown.jpg

And then I can begin to dirty it up with pigments and light scratches.

Thanks for looking!

Gaz

Kent,

Thank you.  I think you'll be very pleased if you do.  I'm trying to reduce my dependence on decals because I hate silvering and always end up with some that I don't catch right away.

Gaz

I hear you. Silvering is my nemesis at the moment.

Regards,

Hi everyone,

I'm well on my way to making this the dirtiest a/c model I've ever done.  Though I am trying to be subtle....

I started by gently tapping the tip of various pencils against places where hands and tips of boots would have hit.  Access plates, kick plates,handholds, and the edges of some panels.  It was only one tap per place with each color as I strove to avoid making pattern or overly large marks.  Wherever a mark seemed overly large, I hit it with an eraser or a bit of fine sandpaper.

b_093928.jpg

I also used some gunmetal pigments on the two MG 131's, as well as some orange and brown pigments on the fuselage band to break up the red a little.

b_093915.jpg

To add the pigments I used a modified brush with almost no bristles to ram the pastels into the paint.  I put extra color where the pilot would have climbed and where the ground crews would have worked alongside the fuselage.  Luckily, some of my attempts put some wear on the heavy exhaust staining.

b_094006.jpg

Same thing on the underside where smoke from the MG 131's and dirt from the wheels would have dirtied the underside.  I kept this intentionally subtle as at this point, the Luftwaffe wasn't yet hiding in the woods.

b_094039.jpg

The propeller blades and spinner got the same treatment more for color variation than anything else.  I smashed some pigments into the wing leading edges as well since planes were often pushed by hand into parking areas, but they didn't stick very well.

Next up, a clear coat, oil stains, and weather streaking.

Thanks for looking, Gaz

Joe,

Thanks! The G6 came in many forms. Short Tail, Galland Hood, Tall Tall, original canopy. With and without Morane mast. Even more subtle factory differences. The G6/AS had a three stage supercharger enabling it to stand on a more equal footing with Mustangs and Thunderbolts at high altitudes. The new supercharger caused a reshaping of the front end of the fighter.

Fortunately for me, the g6 is my favorite machine to model and was seen in many guises, giving me many modeling opportunities.

Gaz

I hear you loud and clear on all the variations of the G-6 brutha. I just forgot about the canopy part. I have built a couple of the later 109's and would like to build a G-6. I've got the Eduard Royal Class G-6 in the stash with a Brassin Engine kit to go with it. Here's the link to the one's I built. My first attempt wasn't too good but I felt alot better about the second one:  http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=66910&hl=

Joe,

That was a great story and a really great build.  Congratulations on beating your addiction! 

I have to say I loved the cannon shell idea!  I'm looking forward to your Eduard Royal class G6. 

I just got my first Eduard G-6's just before Christmas (both weekend editions).  My next 109 will be the G1 or G6 flown by Heinz Knoke.

Gaz

Gaz,

Great work and terrific story as well!  I actually have used hair as an antenna in the past too - very resourceful!  

LOVE what you ( and Brian too ) are doing with your Portrait's and the ability to make whatever markings you need is a real draw.

I hear you on the HGW wet transfers.  I ordered a set, and then heard basically what you experienced - they are kind of hit or miss.  When they 'hit' they are amazing, but just as likely not to work out.  But your bird looks amazing (and esp dirty - nice job!).

I do have two Eduard 109's in my stash, a G-6 Erla weekend edition and the F-4 Profipack, and even acquired the necessary Luft colors for them.  We'll see when I get to them, but your really nice 109 piqued my interest for sure.

Best, Chris