Rotary Tools

Hi fellas, my old (well actually it's only a year old) Ryobi rotary tool has shat itself, and I can't get a replacement because I lost the receipt (goddammit!), so I need a new rotary tool.

What type of rotary tool can you guys recommend? I've looked at a Dremel, Ryobi, GMC, and a variety of cheap imitations that don't have anything but "fast, and even faster" speed settings.

I'm leaning towards the Dremel, but it seems that the attachments available for them are very costly here in Australia. Also, can the Dremels take really small drill bits down to 1mm, etc?

Thanks for any comments!

Ango

PS. I didn't really know which section this query should go in, so mods.... feel free to move it if you think it's in the wrong place.

yeah Steve, I'm suspecting I'll have to bite the bullet and fork out for the Dremel, despite it's additional and IMO inflated cost. Was just wondering if there were any other cheaper options that people out there are using.

With the Ryobi tool, I got a special chuck that once screwed on, allowed me to fit any attachment from 0 to about 5mm, which covers everything I need the tool for. I need this chuck to fit whatever tool I get. Maybe I have to take the special chuck with me when I go shopping, to test it on every tool?

Anyway, thanks mate!

Ango.

Ango...check out Dick Smith electronics for a 'hobby dremel' I gotta fly but I'll try and get some info for you. I think mind was $20 and came with some of the bits Steve was talking about. Its OK...not as good as a dremel but much less $.

Steve...sorry bout taking so long to get back to you mate...email in bound 2nite.

Cheers Matty

Whatever you do though...safety glassesalways...know one too many techo's and dentos who have suffered irrepairable eye damage.

yeah, that looks like the go Matty......will have to go to my nearest store and check it out.

Will let you know how I go (those dental burrs sound very handy!)

Cheers mate

Ango

Ango,

Ive had a variable speed Dremel that my wife bought me over twenty years ago. Its still going strong. they are a bit pricey but last forever. They chucks can handle bits less than 1 mm with no problem. OK, thats the good part. The bad part is speed. Even with the variable speed, it is still way fast. Perhaps too fast for styrene so great care must be used when using it. Ive always wished I could find something slower. Even on the slowest setting, it removes material very quickly and care must be exercised to prevent melting.

Good luck in your search...

Geoff

Ango,

Ive had a variable speed Dremel that my wife bought me over twenty years ago. Its still going strong. they are a bit pricey but last forever. They chucks can handle bits less than 1 mm with no problem. OK, thats the good part. The bad part is speed. Even with the variable speed, it is still way fast. Perhaps too fast for styrene so great care must be used when using it. Ive always wished I could find something slower. Even on the slowest setting, it removes material very quickly and care must be exercised to prevent melting.

Good luck in your search...

Geoff

Pffew I thought I was teh only one having this problem

however i read somewhere that you could use a current regulator so that you could regulate the speed with it i hope to try this verry soon if it works I'll let you guys know

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

I personally think its best to get a Dremel. I have a Sears Craftsman brand, but it was obviously made by Dremel. It was a few dollars less than the Dremel brand. It is best to purchase the drill chuck as well. This allows you to fit any bits on the market as well as micro drill bits without hassle.

Dental cutters are the way to go. I asked my dentist if I could get an old catalog from him to source them. He ended up giving be a huge cupful of used bits (sterilized of course). They may not be sharp enough for dental work, but are plenty sharp for model work! He was just going to throw them out. You might want to check with your dentist on your next visit! Dental cutters fit fine in a Dremel chuck and come in amazingly small cutting sizes and shapes.

I also agree that the Dremel tool at its lowest speed is still much too fast for most plastic work. I have a Dremel Solid State Speed Control that controls current with a rheostat knob all the way from top speed to just barely rotating. The speed control is a 2 x 4 x 6 inch box with an on/off switch and a rheostat knob. It also obviously has an electric cord and plug receptacle for the Dremel Tool cord. It uses a replacable 5 amp fuse. I'm not sure Dremel make this item anymore. But its really a pretty simple device. I wonder if someone who knows electronics couldn't build something similar from basic components? Coupled with a Dremel drill press, and the dental bits, I can handle just about any rotary tool job that one can imagine for modelling.

Thanks Pete, good tips on the dental stuff...I'm sure Matty will be of assisance to me there!

So you can actually purchase a special drill chuck for the Dremel that fits everything? Wouldn't that make all the various colletts obsolete?

Cheers

Ango

Guys,

I wonder what would happen if you use a light dimmer switch to adjust the current going to the dremel? Set the Dremel on it's highest speed and adjust the speed (or current) throught the dimmer.

I agree with the dental bits. Great little things to have. Machine shops also use bits that are very similar to if not exactly the same as Dental burrs for deburring machined parts. Cheaper if you get used ones from the local tooth driller. Im gonna try that dimmer switch in an electrical box and feed an outlet with it to see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

Geoff

Ango,

The chuck I have is made by Dremel and completely eliminates any need to worry about collets. It fit anything from standard Dremel shafts down to a no. 80 sized drill bit, which is about as tough a test as you can probably give a chuck in this circumstance.

Ironwing,

Your dimmer idea might work. I know virtually nothing about electrical components, so my opinion is not worth much. But I might be concerned about potential heating/firehazard/overloading issues. I wonder if there would be a way to incorporate a fuse or a pop release safety switch to avoid overloading issues? Just a thought that might not have any substance to it.

There must be a way to build such a device? I simply don't have the know-how.

I also have one more plug for the dental bits. They were the right price. They were free! ;)

Pete

Guys,

I wonder what would happen if you use a light dimmer switch to adjust the current going to the dremel? Set the Dremel on it's highest speed and adjust the speed (or current) throught the dimmer.

I agree with the dental bits. Great little things to have. Machine shops also use bits that are very similar to if not exactly the same as Dental burrs for deburring machined parts. Cheaper if you get used ones from the local tooth driller. Im gonna try that dimmer switch in an electrical box and feed an outlet with it to see what happens. I'll let you know what happens.

Geoff

sounds great the idea I must also look in to that

well trhis would be a verry basic thinbg mate as you need to plugs and the dimmer one for the dremel to plug in normaly after the dimmer and the second one from the dimmer to your wallplug

damn I need to shopping soon

The only thing that dremel addy did was to reduce the current so that electrical engine didn't rotate that fast anymore easy as pie realy

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Frederick,

Two dimmers? I would just use one. Get a two plug outlet box. In it, put the dimmer and a recepticle. Feed the dimmer from your current supply and jump the dimmer over to the plug. That should eliminate the need for a second dimmer. Just leave the Dremel (or whatever youre using) at full power all the time and ajust RPM throught the dimmer. Whataya think?

Geoff

Ango: I dont think there is an electrical hazard. If there is a hazard, it will be in the armature of the motor which might not like having its current choked. It could cause premature bearing failure.

Any suggestions anyone?

Hope everyone is well...

Geoff

Frederick,

if you ever consider buying such a tool, choose a Proxxon. It is really easy to find resellers in Belgium. Price is similar to the Dremel ones BUT I personally consider the quality of those german tools to be superior. I used for namy years a cheap and small Maxicraft tool purchased in a DIY shop. I don't know why I waited so long to buy a good quality tool...!

This kind of tool is similar to a good airbrush: when you spend your hardly earned pennies to obtain one, you often wonder before but never after! I know now that I prefer to buy a good tool rather than another kit...

I prefer Proxxon because speed controller is not an electronic one controlled by a small knob. I prefer the sturdier "mechanical" way used by this German tool to control speed. Morever speed range is quite large. I know at least five other modellers who finally decided to purchase this tool. None regrets it...

I think you're in contact with the Amay guys, aren't you? Ask for feedbacks from other modellers!

Just my 2 cents.