Count me in!

LSP_Ron

Thanks Kevin.

This will be my first Hurricane in any scale. Should be fun. There are several of these kits being built in the GB so I am really looking forward to seeing everyone's great work

Cheers!

First problem area found (at least I think it is)

I am assembling the cockpit for paint and started reviewing the build sequence in the instructions. They have you install the armor plate behind the pilots head and the inst. panel to the fuse then assemble the fuse halves then pop the cockpit frame work in from the bottom. The Pit tubing structure is suspended by the rear armor and the inst panel. They then instruct to install the seat through the top. Problem is there isn't anything to attach the seat to. There is no rear plate in the tubing assembly to glue the seat to? nothing?

Unless I am missing something the seat will drop right through the back of the cockpit into the rear fuse. I added a plate to the rear tubing. It also appears far easier to get the entire pit installed and detailed including the seat before you seal up the fuse halves.

I'll post pics to better explain later when I get a chance to take some.

Ron

Hey Ron, the seat should bottom out on the V shaped tubes and probably rest against the back plate.

The real ones weren't attached to much either but they didn't actually rest against the back plate either.

color12.jpg

seat.jpg

seatback-1.jpg

Are ya havin' fun yet tho ?

The seat in my rag-wing build seems to sit just fine without falling through anywhere? No extra bracing needed. I have not permanently installed it yet, but have dropped it into position a few times and it looks great.

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe these pics will better explain. The seat has nothing to mount to. If you look at the photos of the real one that Mike posted the seat sits proud of the rear bulk head and off of the V shaped tubing. The kit has you drop it in and I guess glue the top of the seat to the kit bulk head and front to the V shaped tubing? I think?

I added a plate to the rear, what I should have added was two tubes horizontally accross the back. Oh well, you won't see much of it anyway.

Here are some pics

P9070009.jpg

P9070011.jpg

I will attach the seat using the ribs molded in the back of the seat to the bulk head I added to have the seat proud of the kit bulk head and off of the V shaped tubing. In reality there should be a kit provided rear bracket with two horizontal bars and brackets that glue to the ribs on the back of the seat like what is shown in the second photo Mike posted.

P9070012.jpg

Here is the gear bay. A little sparse. I am now looking for ref photos of this area to see if there can be some wiring added. If anyone has any pics of this area I would appreciate

P9070013.jpg

Thanks all

Here is the gear bay. A little sparse. I am now looking for ref photos of this area to see if there can be some wiring added. If anyone has any pics of this area I would appreciate

Ron,

Great to see you kicking off the PCM Hurris,

I have a lot of reference stuff for my build so if you pm me an e-mail addy I'll crank up the scanner for you.

Phil

Some more progress this weekend. I didn't follow the kits build sequence with the pit. I added the inst panel to the cockpit assemble then glued this to the fuse. I then added the seat and the harness.

P9120003.jpg

P9120002.jpg

P9120001.jpg

P9120004.jpg

My fuse was miss molded with a step at the joint near the rudder. I flat sanded both fuse sides on sand paper taped to a sheet of glass but this step was to big to sand out. Not a big deal, nothing a little filler won't fix.

P9120005.jpg

The front fuse has a small gap at the cockpit but again not a big deal

P9120006.jpg

The lower fuse bottom fits well.

P9120009.jpg

I left the font lower bit unglued. I plan on gluing the upper wing halves to the fuse then adding the lower wing. Leaving this part unglued will allow for a good wing joint and this part is easier to fill if there is a gap. This was a problem area on the PCM Spit so I thought I would apply the same build sequence.

P9120008.jpg

It thought the kit molded panel fasteners were over done. The real ones should be somewhat flush so I shaved them off with a knife and made new ones with a piece of 1/16 brass tubing sharpened on one end then spun in a pin vise to make a circle. Not exactly like the real ones but I think it looks better?

P9120007.jpg

So far so good, not a bad kit overall.

Ron

Good work Ron. How did you sharpen the brass tubing?

Kev

Thanks guys, I used my Dremel belt/disk sander and spun the tubing at about 60 degrees off 90 from the disk to make it good and sharp. I probably should have used 3/32 tubing though. The fasteners are a bit small.

Ron