Revell Lysander

Sorry about no updates, been dealing with family and friends in Christchurch (the earthquake), nursing a sick wife and preparing to head to San Diego for a week at short notice. I'm actually sitting in the departure lounge here in Auckland about to get on the plane. I've managed a little bit of progress so will update once I'm in San Diego.

Regards Brent

• 2 months later...

Right ho then, apologies re my long absense from this project, its been a bit hectic with work and family activities - moving a 90 year old ex WAAF spinster from her home and into care (working around a dysfunctional health system, well intented but essentally interferring 'friends', and long lost relatives who are suddenly interested in being part of the process...), then there was the shift of office that now requires 12+ hours extra travel time a week, preparing my 50ft by 20ft modular layout for the local annual public train show (20/21 Nov) and rolling out an organisational software change to multiple government agencies as part of the first Spiral of the project I'm working on - oh and most sadly having to bury two wonderful close friends and the wife of a third just to add to the list.

Phew...

I've some further progress to report on but need to set up the image/photo storer support thingee whowhatsoever client and then will start posting again to finish this project off...

A reflective footnote, since March this year I've been to the funerals of 12 people (and unable to get to another three), the ages have ranged from 23 to 68, some have passed on as a result of accidents, the rest bar one through that blessed evil, cancer. As much as I don't enjoy my job much at present, I'm ever grateful of good health, having some great friends, a wonderful wife (of 33 years), three healthy sons (aged 27 and two at 26), able to live in our own house (well the bank's too), having a job, and fortunate enough to be able to partake in my passion of modelling. Everyday I wake up, regardless of how I feel mentally or phyically, I reflect on how lucky I am at being alive and able to get up - food for thought - Brent

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

I'm being a little sneaky here and hoping that the LSP team are a really busy and will let me sneak a couple of updates under the radar on my Lysander build for a few more days after the official closing date. Won't go into the details as to why its stalled other than to say it's not been the smoothest of starts to the new year but at least I'm here to write this up if nothing other than late, the woman folk of two friends sadly are not...

Hopefully I'll be able to upload some images from the last five months, noting that the first two were taken in San Diego back in September 2010 the other one a week ago, this is almost a 48 hour build challenge, so I'll see how I go if I'm allowed to.

So essentially the little bit I have managed to do on the Lysander since Sept 2010 was just a week ago. I've tailored the build to speed it up a little and allow me to go back sometime soon (hopefully) and add a little more detail - but to a point where it is essentially finished per se. There are several things that have caused this to stall in terms of the model itself, hopefully I've got the work rounds sorted and can do them quickly - more in the next session.

Lysander_San_Diego_Sep10.jpg

Above is where I got up to on arrival in San Diego,

Lysander_Cockpit.jpg

Above is after a couple of days worth of work on the cockpit, it shows some progress noting that the detail I'm adding is a little clunky but it fits in with the existing structure's clunkiness...

LysanderProgressFeb11.jpg

And here is what I had to start with a week ago...

I've done quite a bit of work over the last two days which while I'm under the radar here I'll add as I go until the LSP team catch up with me...

I've lost a whole day working out how to upload images to LSP using photobucket and trying to find a program that will reduce the image's size (gave up on the MAC programs I have installed on both my G5 and Mac Notebook and went to my clunky old Toshiba Portege running XP where I have a neat little program that came with my first digital camera, a Toshiba - It's simply called Image expert, it's quite a capable program and is really simple to use.

Rgds Brent

Edited by branchline

Nice to see an update Brent, and sorry to hear that your start to 2011 hasn't been a good one.

I'm being a little sneaky here and hoping that the LSP team are a really busy and will let me sneak a couple of updates under the radar on my Lysander build for a few more days after the official closing date.

No problems there mate. We're formulating a list now for the next GB poll, but it'll be at least a week before this one is packed away.

Kev

Bugger, caught red handed, should have known not to post on a Sunday (well ours here in NZ/Aust anyway)...

Thanks for the slack, just keep looking the other way for a few more days, most daunting thing is that I've not fired my spray gun up for about 12 years - even for the trains...

Rgds Brent

Right on I plow, one last lonely effort...

Here's a view of some of the detail parts I'm working on, they are a little clunky but its a start.

LysanserParts21Feb.jpg

This image shows the wheel spats with the light lens fitting reasonably snugly. These would be one of the most challenging parts of the kit to get right as noted on most other builds of the Matchbox/Revell Lysander, but my solution was to oversize the hole with a piece of rolled up coarse emery paper, insert and glue a thin piece of plastic in the form of a collar, hone that out once dry and then carefully shape the lens with a file to fit the hole. This has the added bonus of providing a lip for the landing light to be attached to.

LysanderWheelSpats.jpg

Below is a closeup of the radio and compass mount, again clunky but I'll work in this aspect in the future.

RadioandCompassMount.jpg

Next is a rather poor image of the tailplanes and the start of some work to improve them. While separate elevators are provided, the joint between the tailplane and elevator are two flat surfaces making positioning them drooped a lot of work. One solution is to put the join covering plate on which is what this is supposed to represent. I've the hinge plate to do and these are finished.

Tailplanes.jpg

Finally, a view of the dry assembled cockpit area with just a couple of braces, the back of instrument panel, the pilots seat and headrest plus belts, and the gunner's machine guns to do and I can paint the interior bits and pieces ready for joining the fuselage sides together. Also shown are the fuselage side with some ribbing in place.

CockpitInterior.jpg

Its 0040 so I had better head to bed, more tomorrow night...

B

No update tonight, it's been a long day with family and friends in Christchurch to track down and provide support to, we have also hosted two people here at home today affected by the earthquake, the first was a colleague attending day one of a two day disaster relief workshop. The attendees and speakers were the heads of all the nation's civil defence organisations that step in and co-ordinate national services at times of emergency. First up this morning were all the heads of the emergency services from Christchurch advising what and how they did things the first time around in September last year. Then at lunchtime when the earthquake struck it was apparently like a movie from a couple of years back where one by one all the phones of the attendees and presenters starting going off and by about 1.30 the conference was called off to allow everyone to return to work.

At about 2130 tonight a call from the local airport and it was our niece's partner asking for a bed. He was supposed to return to Dunedin via Christchurch today but as the airport there is closed he became stranded here. He's a chartered civil engineer who was used last time to assess buildings in Christchurch and he and three work mates are heading back down south tomorrow morning and then driving up to Christchurch to offer their services free of charge. His approach is that heritage can go to hell, it's time for the old brick buildings just to go.

Thoughts with you guy sand your families down there,

Regards Brent

Just when the going was getting good...

I'm going to have to stall serious work on this project for a couple of weeks as we are hosting a stream of people heading north from Christchurch to get a break from the devastation and shocks after the earthquake. Our spare bedroom is my modelling room, so I need to pack it up for a couple of weeks to put up our guests, I should be able to do some work at the Kitchen table so am not going to give up on this project.

If the LSP Team close the BoB GB when they get a chance, I'll pick the build up again on a WIP thread.

Best wishes again to those down in CHC,

Rgds Brent

Well giving those folks a break certainly sounds more important than a BoB build.

Pop one of us a note if you want this build thread moved to the WIP forum.

Best of luck with you guests and best wished to everyone in CHC