Hurricane Mk.I

Greetings,

Thought I'd start the thread even though my kit hasn't arrived yet. My pre-order should arrive pretty soon and I'll make a start right away. Since every decal option in the kit is from BoB I haven't even considered which aircraft I'll do yet.

Should be fun!

Dave

Any idea when you expect the kit to arrive?

Kev

Should be any time now. I wasn't charged when I placed the pre-order and the charge just hit a few days ago so I assume that means it's been shipped. I haven't spent any real time with limited-run kits so there's bound to be some learning going on. And some swearing. :(

Well done Dave!

With Alan on this one, more Hurris the better!

Interesting build, you will be breaking new ground with the PCM kit,

looking forward to seeing how it goes together.

Phil :mental:

Good news! I have the kit in hand! To be fair to Ken and PCM, "I" have probably had it for a while now. The postal post-3154-1282963365.gif service delivered it to the office at my complex but never saw fit to let me know that. Whatever. It's in me grubby little mitts now and I'm quite excited to tuck-in and get this party started! If there's one thing I know about any limited-run kit it's that lots of test-fitting and whatnot is in store, but I feel I've gained quite a bit of confidence lately, especially with regards to tricky fitting parts and the like, so this should be a good time!

Hopefully I'll have some piccies to post in the next few days. :whistle:

I have the fabric wing kit about 1/3 finished now, and can offer a couple of "tips" from my build for what they may be worth:

On the cockpit, glue in the armour back plate and completed instrument panel in first and let them dry. Don't glue the bottom part of the "V" brace to the framing. When I assembled my framing, it was a bit too narrow, but when you put the cockpit in the fuselage, the "slots" for the cockpit framing on the armour bulkhead and instrument panel will put them to the correct width. Not gluing the bottom of the "V" brace allows the framing assembly to flex to fit correctly. I did leave the gunsight off, as I would certainly knock it off before all is said and done... :BANGHEAD2:

Note that when test fitting the fuselage together, it looks like the bottom of the fuselage is too narrow for the bottom insert. This is not the case, as the cockpit armour plate bulkhead will spread it out to the correct width in front, and the plug for the tailwheel will do the same for the rear.

When I glued my fuselage halves together, I could not get a step-free join on both the top and bottom of the nose. Not sure if it was my fault or not, but I had to pick either the top or the bottom to have no step. We'll see if I have the same problem when I build the next one.

When I taped together the fuselage, and then the wings and put them in position, huge gaps appeared. Now that I have the fuselage together, and put the taped up wings (with the wheel wells inserted) the gap is much better (perhaps 1/32 inch). I will see how it ends up once I assemble the wings (should be Mon or Tues).

I am finding that the internal parts on this kit really help align the main ones (wings/fuselage), so keep that in mind when test-fitting as it may save some effort.

Lookng forward to seeing your build!

Cheers,

Doug

How about a little inspirational photo? I took this at Duxford a year ago this month.

I just ordered the PCM metal winged version. Should be here this week and I'll join the GB fun!

Cheers :BANGHEAD2:

P9050078.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like all of us PCM Hurricane builders are waiting to see who jumps first, so I guess it'll be me!

Not much to show, but it's a start. The IP is mostly done with some Micro Kristal Klear drying in the instrument faces:

IP2.jpg

And I got the cockpit framing started:

Cage1.jpg

Cage3.jpg

This is like most limited-run kits I've seen in that the details are a bit softish and every part needs to be cleaned up a bit. Nothing unexpected. There are color PE pieces included from Eduard which leaves me wishing that for just a few bucks more some masks from Eduard were included as well.

A bunch of dry-fitting is in store for tomorrow and, if I'm lucky, some paint in the cockpit.

A bunch of dry-fitting is in store for tomorrow and, if I'm lucky, some paint in the cockpit.

When dryfitting my rag-wing example, I recommend that you do so with the cockpit, wheel well, brace, etc in place, as they make a major impact on the fit. When I dry fit the major parts together, it looked like the insert for the bottom of the fuselage would be too wide (and require a speader), but when attached to the completed fuselage with cockpit and tailwheel blanking piece, it was a perfect fit. I also had huge gaps between the wing and fuselage during dryfit, but ended up with a very small a hair more than 15 thou gap on each side once everything was assembled.

Here is a photo of the WIP with just the wings and fuselage assemblies together, but not attached to each other (nor are the tailplanes attached, which do fit like crap!) which shows (hopefully) a pretty decent fit:

DSCN5534.jpg

Cheers,

Doug

How about a little inspirational photo? I took this at Duxford a year ago this month.

I just ordered the PCM metal winged version. Should be here this week and I'll join the GB fun!

Cheers :piliot:

P9050078.jpg

looks like he's texting someone!!

:bow: