WnW OOB Lozenge decals

Out2gtcha

Ive been hitting Jeep stuff hard lately, and the modeling room is a complete MESS, the worst being the bench itself.....................

This has all colluded to bring my modeling time to near ZILCH.  The only model I was even remotely close to the finish line on, is my Icaerodesign Extra 300SC, but after 5 or more e-mails to them requesting to purchase a new canopy I pranged up, that one looks like its going to have to be put on the SOD.

Ive also resigned myself to the fact that I will NOT be getting the list of 3 or 4 models I wanted built before the 2017 US NATs here in Omaha, as the dio I wanted to make slowed down to a near stop crawl, and was getting to be too much, the Civi entry is above, and the Helo/rotor wing entry for my Fly Wessex is a complex longer term highly detailed build, and will definitely take me longer than 2 1/2 months or so left until the Omaha NATs. 

So..........................

I was really in desperate need of a MoJo restoring build, and I think one of my WnW Fokker D.VIIs is just the ticket.

I can pretty much (with the exception of ordering a BMW IIb engine) make the F model I want out of the D.VII (Fok) kit I have after making some masks with my Silhouette cutter.

Id LOVE to keep the rest of it OOB, and not have to invest in anything else...............including not having to invest in new Lozenge decals.

So, that leads me to my question:

How bad are the OOB WnW Lozenge decals?  Are they passable at all? 

TIA,

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brian

Being just a newbie to the world of WNW kits, I haven't a clue but am eagerly looking forward to following your build as I'm stumbling all over the Roland.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter. I have a crap ton of WnW kits (well not DEAN crap ton, but a LOT of them anyway) and have never actually built anything German yet! 

Hence no experiecne w/WnW lozenge decals.   Im not worried about how they go down, as so far ALL WnW decals seem to go down like a dream, but just curious how much if at all the look or color is off.    :hmmm:

When you say BAD....

what do you mean? I used them for a DVII in progress, and using just micro sol/set, they went on just fine, laid down, wrapped around the trailing edges, no trimming, very thin. WNW also gives you small color patches of each upper and lower color in the event you need to make a repair. What's not to love?

Go to WNW home page, and you'll see you can buy the high altitude engine.

When you say BAD....

what do you mean? I used them for a DVII in progress, and using just micro sol/set, they went on just fine, laid down, wrapped around the trailing edges, no trimming, very thin. WNW also gives you small color patches of each upper and lower color in the event you need to make a repair. What's not to love?

I was pretty sure the fit and/or the way they went on would be a dream................like most other WnW decals I have put on, so not especially worried about that part of it..........

I was just more worried that Ive heard they are not accurate in color, or maybe color density?   IE, too dark or too light? 

Go to WNW home page, and you'll see you can buy the high altitude engine.

Yep! I already did. Only problem is the engine cost me $10, and the shipping cost me $9.50! :lol:

Edited by Out2gtcha

OK, there's an OUCH factor there. IIRC, I primed my wing/bits with a gloss white, or very light grey. Are you going to do factory fresh fabric, or weathered? Varnish covered or not. Lots of variables, just stay away from "experts."

I'm not an expert but I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night...the WNW 4 and 5 color decals are as good as any others out there.  It boils down to a matter of how you think they look on the model.  I have used WNW on several of my models, Aviattik on a couple and thrown away all Roden OOB versions.  Aviattik certainly have more variety (fresh, faded, lacquered) so can reduce the weathering effort at the expense of $$.  I believe WNW's research to be good as anyone's and it's certainly better than mine.  FWIW I prime mine with a pale cream but white, pale grey or the like will all produce good results.

Thanks guys!

That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to know!  I thought about buying some of the Aviatic lozenge decals, but figured this was a MoJo building build, so better off to keep it as much OOB as I could.

OK, there's an OUCH factor there. IIRC, I primed my wing/bits with a gloss white, or very light grey. Are you going to do factory fresh fabric, or weathered? Varnish covered or not. Lots of variables, just stay away from "experts."

Was not really going to over-weather it, so I suppose somewhere more weathered than factory fresh, but not super weathered by any means. 

Guest Clunkmeister

Brian, as far as I'm concerned, the kit decals are great. Nobody really knows the new colors of the originals, and even then, there are plenty of accounts on how one factory's stuff was a slightly different color than the other guy's...

Then, so many of these aircraft got "toned down" upon hitting squadron service with an application of brown or greenish translucent varnish. So who knows.

Pheon made some replacement fitted decals with a slightly different take on the colors.

Aviattic made the fabric texture decals with an even slightly different texture.

HGW made some as well, but I haven't used there's.

As far as I'm concerned, all are great. I'm a convert to the Aviattic fabric texture decals after using them on my Felixstowe. But with the exception of the HGW which I can't comment on because I've never used them, I can say without reservation that any of them look awesome when done.

For an OOB build, I'd have no problem using the kit decals. They perform very, very well. Heck, I'd use them for a contest model too. The cool thing about the other brands is you get slightly different colors, so when you have several models, they have some variety.

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

Brian, I would at the very minimum, invest in some HGW seatbelts. I detest p.e. seatbelts, even after annealing them. They just don't look right to me...

The Aviatic decals are far superior to the kit decals. Not because of color, one can debate that but I personally agree with those who state that the colors on WNW sheet are bit off. I built the DVII using the Aviatic sheet. The best feature of the aviatic decals are that they are translucent. You can preshade under them and create effects. For example if you look at a DVII you can see hints of the tube frame under the fabric. You cannot really get that effect with opaque decal sheet.

With aviatic I painted the areas frame areas that were to be lozenge white, then I took a pencil and carefully lined in the frame tubs in about the correct scale thickness. After that I streaked on some oil and fuel stains that show in aircraft photos. Then I put the decals on. This left hints of the under work showing through and gave the fabric(decal) an appropriate stained look.

Functionally the most fun part of building a DVII for me was the Aviatic decals because you can create layered effects in what I think is a very natural and realistic manner.

I was just more worried that Ive heard they are not accurate in color, or maybe color density?   IE, too dark or too light? 

Brian, there is nobody living on this planet , who can say that WNW Lozenge decals are not accurate in color or color density. That, is all based on speculation because of the lack of color film in those day's. And that's the beautiful thing about W.W.1 models, you don't have to follow certain rules. Same go's with Lozenge decals and color's applied on W.W.1 planes.

WNW Lozenge decals are like the WNW kit's just perfect to apply. Iff you want to toned down the hardness of the color's, you just have to spray a strong diluted paint of a color of your choice on the Lozenge surface.

Succes

Greetz

Danny

Thanks again guys, more great info.

Since I want to build this to restore some modeling mojo, I think I'm going to use the OOB WnW lozenge decals, toned down with some highly deluded buff.