Kudos to Revell Germany! Re: P-51D-5

Astro32

Got one just recently and oh boy!

I took a break today and had a good look at it. Wow. Couple of nights ago I attached the rear fuselage sections and found a slight bit of mismatch but nothing like similar layouts, like Hasegawa's '109G kits, which isn't that bad either. A couple of swipes with a file and a bit of sanding and it's done. Today I assembled the main wing spar and gear bays, clamping the assembly to the lower wing. My advice is to do this first before painting to ensure a good bond, then paint.

Overall I absolutely love the surface detail, the fit, everything! It looks right, the detailing is nicely restrained, and no silly gimmicks. I will post a build thread once I choose an image hosting site.

Rant over! :frantic:

Good to hear.  I've got mine coming from MegaHobby tomorrow!  Looking forward to it.  

As far as image hosting, I've been very happy with postimage.org, after trying photobucket (grr..), imgur, and flickr. Very straightforward and no frills, but it's perfect for hosting photos on forums. 

Edited by Bstarr3

After consulting with other LSP staff, Ill be posting up a review of this as soon as I get my grubby fingers on it

Haha, after consulting with OTHER, other LSP staff, I was promptly reminded we did in fact already have it reviewed! 

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/reviews/review.php?rid=2010

Ah the joys of getting older..........

I lined up my first-issue Revell -B with it. The fuselage from the firewall to just ahead of the tail, aside from the obvious differences on the upper fuselage, line up almost perfectly with each other. Seems to me, back in the day, Revell may have had access to a -B that was stripped from the firewall forward, and had to rely on whatever drawings they could scrounge for the rest.

Just opened mine up. This kit is incredible, especially for the price! If Revell has stepped up their game across the board, other manufacturers better be aware.

Still wondering why they split the back half of the fuselage though. I'm sure they could have rearranged sprue layout and made them whole.

Instructions are also a homerun. Detailed and in color.

Still wondering why they split the back half of the fuselage though. I'm sure they could have rearranged sprue layout and made them whole.

Since I saw that split (similar to the Tamiya split) its seems likely they are going to issue a "fillet-full" version, and like Tamiya, it would save them from having to tool up a whole new fuselage, and would only need a new aft section w/the fillet.