Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

Aye - yi -YI !!!!

That engine looks real!

Thanks KUROK, much appreciated! The engine is definitely a model within a model, within a model. Typical of Tamiya's phenomenal engineering.

Cheers,

Wolf

You have outdone yourself again with this engine!!

Amazing talent Wolf!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan. I can tell you this engine was much easier to do than the Spitfire's Merlin. That's one of the reasons I started with the engine first on this build.

Cheers,

Wolf

I really love the colour of the ignition harness Wolf! That whole engine looks so real. This is definitely my go to reference when I finally get around to building mine!

Craig

Thanks for checkin' in Craig. Hopefully the next time you're in the neighbourhood again you'll stop by and see it finished and in person. I managed to find some great images of the R-2800 on line and the light brown colour I used seems to be a good approximation of the colour of the ignition harness in the pics. I initially wasn't sure if I got it right but it doesn't look too bad eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thank-you Carl. It was your and Paul's build of this kit that inspired me to get this model in the first place. I'm lookin' forward to seeing yours done soon eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Wolf! I finished mine the day before and just posted the RFI pics in the build thread.

Really tempted to started another as Hampton Gray's plane.

Carl

Geez Wolf................................. do you 'ever' slop glue or paint? Do you ever cut a wrong piece, or lose a piece? Your stuff is spectacular, as always................ I guess I should make the journey to Bonsor again this year, to see you work in the flesh................ you are an inspiration for me to 'try' to emulate what you do.....it is a bar set very high, but one to try to reach... outstanding as always, pure eye candy....

Geez Wolf................................. do you 'ever' slop glue or paint? Do you ever cut a wrong piece, or lose a piece?

LOL! Yes, all of the above Jeff. I just get real good at fixin' stuff which is another reason I build so slow. I drop more tiny stuff than I care to admit which is why I always wear a big BBQ apron at the bench. The bottom hem of the apron is attached to the underside of my workbench and luckily it catches most stuff before it disappears on to the floor never to be seen again. That is, until the model is finished, then I find it right away. ;)

Cheers,

Wolf

Edited by Wolf Buddee

Jeepers Wolf, that engine is beyond superb. You have serious skills my friend.

Thank-you Gerhard! I learn a lot from the superb modellers on these forums. Being OCD helps too. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Amazing, clean, perfect work as ever Wolf.

Regards. Andy

Thanks for checkin' in Andy, much appreciated Sir!

Cheers,

Wolf

Wow. Is there no dust where you live? :)

Fantastic stuff. Very inspiring. :)

Hello Dale! Yes, there's lots of dust here. At the moment though it's all very frozen, LOL. I could use some as this particular aircraft was covered in the stuff in the South Pacific.

Cheers,

Wolf

Beautiful engine, Wolf!!!

Thanks Ray! Hopefully I'll be able to get down to another show in Oregon and we can meet again. I sure had a lot of fun the last time I was there.

Cheers,

Wolf

Thanks Ray! Hopefully I'll be able to get down to another show in Oregon and we can meet again. I sure had a lot of fun the last time I was there.

Cheers,

Wolf

Would be great to see you again, Wolf! They actually didn't have a show this last September. This year I think it will be at the Oregon Military Museum which is SE of Portland. They have a pretty good collection of AFV's and weapons including a lot of Japanese stuff. Will know more later this year. Of course, air museum about an hour away.

Keep up the good work! 

I started work on the cockpit by completing the instrument panel. I added the Tamiya suppled placards and to those two tiny knobs punched out with my Waldron sub-miniature punch and die set. Stretched sprue was used to make a bat switch for the larger of the two placards. I small drop of Kristal Klear was used to give the end of the bat switch it's shape. 

Corsair-12_zpsyg5dpyvt.jpg

The rear cockpit frame was modified by opening up the solid mounting points for the tubular seat mount frame. The retaining "U" bolts were made from a photo-etched washer base, silver wire, copper wire, and 0.45mm nut/bolt/washer resin detail from Taurus Models. I also used the nut/bolt/washer detail to represent the fasteners on the upper seat frame. The headrest received a bead around it's front face using stretched sprue and very careful application of Tamiya's Extra Thin glue gluing small sections at a time until I'd wrapped the sprue all the way around.

Corsair-11_zpsvvvjqdin.jpg

Hopefully my Corsair Aircraft Pictorial book shows up soon to see if I need to add anything more.

Cheers,

Wolf

i love this build. Talented modeler. I dig the  Corsair.

Oliver

Thank-you Oliver! I take that as quite a compliment. I'm learning to dig the Corsair myself. It's quite a beast!

Cheers,

Wolf

Beautiful !

Thanks Martin! Now isn't it time we saw more pics of your La-7? C'mon you know you want to post 'em. :)

Cheers,

Wolf

Of all the wonderful bits of small scale modelling on display, i gotta say the beading around the headrest is my favourite for some reason. Very nicely done.

Thanks Don! The beading on the headrest was the one bit that I was worried about doing the most. Mainly because the stretched sprue was so fine I was afraid the Tamiya Extra Thin glue was going to melt the sprue in to an unrecognizable mess. It worked out well in the end including where the two ends of the sprue met at the bottom of the headrest. Sometimes ya just have to get lucky eh?

Cheers,

Wolf

By the way, does anyone know if the oxygen bottle on the rear cockpit frame was yellow or silver? Tamiya says silver but I've seen a lot of modellers paint it yellow.