Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1A

Wolf Buddee

It's been a while since I've worked on or attempted to complete anything so I've decided to post this WIP here rather than in a group build. I don't know if I'll have this finished in time for a  group build deadline but the creative juices seem to be flowing right now so I thought I would give this a go.

I've had the F4U-1 Birdcage Corsair in the stash for a while but the semi-bubble top version's look really appealed to me. I decided to start with the engine rather than the cockpit, I know, crazy eh?, and after looking at some of my research material and on-line pics I decided the kit's PW-R2800 needed a little embellishment. I drilled out all the holes for the spark plug leads, scratch built the oil transfer lines at the front of the cylinder heads as well as those between the rocker covers. It took me a while to figure out how I was going to do the ones between the rocker covers. One I got a handle on those it went fairly quickly but each one required 4 separate pieces. I also decided to scratch build spark plug connectors as they're fairly prominent when looking at the front of the engine. I used a 2.5mm long 0.5mm brass tube from Bob's Buckles, a 0.5mm brass nut from Scale Hardware, and a length of 0.15 lead wire. I'm only going to do the ones for the front of the cylinders for the forward bank as the others are next to impossible to see. The remaining leads will just be fed in to drilled holes.

Corsair-1_zpsafyut5fc.jpg

Corsair-2_zpspm0nvb9l.jpg

I painted the firewall and rear engine mount but after dry fitting it looks like the extra paint work on the rear engine mount will be virtually hidden from view. The same goes for the exhaust manifolds which, other than the ends at the bottom of the fuselage, will be mostly hidden.  I drilled the exhaust openings deeper and really thinned the openings to give them a more scaIe appearance. I painted them with Model Master Metalizer Burnt Metal and they'll get some weathering before installation. It looks like the exhaust can be easily installed at the very end of the build, before the engine of course, to negate having to mask off the exhaust ends while spraying the underside of the fuselage.

Corsair-3_zpsc4ukumqh.jpg

I wanted to give the instrument panel a go as well to see if I could improve on what the kit offers. I used Airscale instrument decals but they were placed on top of Tamiya's clear part rather than on the back. The Airscale instrument decals are slightly too large but carefully aligning them on the clear part will give you everything you need. I also enlarged the instrument holes in the IP to accommodate the thickness of the decals and to allow for the paint on the instrument bezels. I didn't want to tear the decals when fitting the clear portion of the IP. Some Future on the instrument faces finished them off and I also added a couple of the BarracudaCals data placards.

Corsair-4_zpsrxhe3u85.jpg

Cheers,

Wolf

Gigantic, thank-you. The real trick for me is continuing past the "great start" point. Wish me luck! :)

Thanks Harvey, it's good to get back to something. Keep nudgin' me on my friend. I'll need all the help I can get!

Carl, thanks for checkin' in! This time 'round it made sense to me to start with the engine as I didn't have to wait for any aftermarket stuff for it. Everything I'll do with the engine is either kit, scratch built, or bits I already have on hand. By the time the engine is completed I should have my RB Productions seat belts and work on the cockpit can commence. That's the plan anyways.........

Martin! You really can be a brat eh? LOL! We need to have a wagging finger emoticon for you. Now where's that La-7 build you're workin' on? Pics my friend, we need pics.

No Shaka, you didn't miss the Mossie's finish and you didn't need to mention it, LOL! ;) It's currently sitting on the shelf of dust and disorder. I just needed to build something with only one engine in hopes of completing a build. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it......

Craig my friend, thanks for popping by. I'll make you a deal. You finish the B-17 so I'll have a "how to build" and I'll finish the Corsair to reciprocate. My job will definitely be the easier one.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Cheers,

Wolf

Oh another great start from the master. I always love watching your progress its like watching a painter paint his master piece except you keep starting one mater piece after another. I feel like a kid at a candy store as I cannot say which one is my favorite. :)

Btw, the extra detail is already making the kit parts look 100 times better as every detail looks right on scale ;)

Keep it coming...

Mike

Guest Peterpools

Wolf......

Bravo ... Great to see you back at the bench and digging in. Just go slow and enjoy working your magic.

Awesome work on the Big P&W - just love the details and of course, taking notes

I've paid for a front row seat and ready for the journey. Sure hope first class food is served on this flight.

Keep 'em comin

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn: 

Mike, thank-you for your very kind words. The unfortunate part of being like a kid in a candy store is that, with the way I build and not finish, it's like having to spit out the candy you have in your mouth before trying the next one. LOL! Hopefully you'll get to enjoy this one 'till the end. :)

Hey Mark, good to hear from you! Always a pleasure having you check in. Just to be clear, I'm assuming they're oil transfer pipes. At least the ones between the rocker covers. The ones on the front of the cylinder heads are indeed that. Right about the time I've finished the engine I'll be disproven, just you watch, LOL!

Thanks Brian. The camera is a great multi-tool. It really helps me see if I've screwed up somewhere and I can go back and clean things up. I'm really OCD sometimes. With the right meds though I should be alright.

Thank-you Peter. Keeping focused and enjoying what you're doing is key isn't it? I'll lean on you to keep me on track. As far as first class food, you'll be served Caviar and Brussels Sprouts flavoured popcorn, which I see you're already enjoying......

Thanks Gents,

Cheers,

Wolf

Martin! You really can be a brat eh? LOL! We need to have a wagging finger emoticon for you. Now where's that La-7 build you're workin' on? Pics my friend, we need pics.

Well, since you are so nice to me, here is a little non-Tamiya wake up call  :punk:

CnETana.jpg