Out2gtcha

Thanks gents!  This one is still coming along, even with a really tough on-call week. Luckily, I got off on-call tomorrow afternoon, so Im looking forward to getting back to business with this little guy!

I did manage a few min here and there to get the brake lines ran, as well as getting a window cut for the inspection opening in the rear of the fuselage, as well as the under-wing inspection windows too.

Next up, is to get all that "glass" including the new canopy dipped in Future as I plan on utilizing my normal MO of attachment by way of ultra thin CA and capillary action.  

Progress soon! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again gents!

With my looming Jeep safari trip coming up in a matter of just a couple weeks and me being on call for work again for the next week until Wed of next week having switched with a co-worker to get the time off for my trip, my bench time has been cut to nearly nothing. 

However, I have managed to work a little bit on the tiny Extra, since its in a different stage of completion than the F7F and can more easily be worked with its much smaller size. Its not much, but after talking to Thor (our local expert/SME on the 1:1 acrobatic planes) I figured out the hollow square depressions on the bottom of the wings, as well as the hollow square hole on the starboard rear of the fuselage are all visual access panels to the flying surface controls as well as the rear frame work of the internal fuselage framing and empennage controls. 

OOB on the Icaerodesign kit these are left as open with nothing covering them, but on the 1:1 they are all actually covered in Plexiglas and attached with screws/fasteners. 

I got these masked off and started off by painting them black. You can also see in this first pic that I have added the break lines with some bent copper wire and some Small Parts brass nuts connected to the brake calipers:

20180222_083426-XL.jpg

20180222_083449-XL.jpg

I then sprayed some MRP black into the recesses:

20180222_130237-XL.jpg

No pics as of yet, but I also got them covered in some thin clear plastic, then smoothed out. I am still working on smoothing them out to my satisfaction, as well as getting them cleared in Future or MM Ultra Gloss clear, I haven't decided yet. 

I have also begun work on assembling and painting the extra engine Icaerodesign sent me that will mount on the custom engine stand and mount I made specifically for that purpose. If I can manage some time between packing and prepping for the Jeep safari, and my on-call duties for work I will post more pics, as I now have the clear plastic in the windows, and have started painting the extra engine parts as well. 

Cheers! 

• 1 month later...

Im back at it....................

As I have this little Extra quite a bit further along than my T-Cat, I decided to push a bit on the Extra build to see if I could get on with building the 2nd engine, then get the air-frame rolling to paint. Once there, I figured it might make getting back to the F7F easier.

Heading to lunch, but do have some progress pics to share, as I am now well on my way with the secondary engine on he stand, as well as being very well near to heading to paint on the airframe.

Pics in a bit! 

Had some issues posting pics at work, so Im off today at home helping the SO recover from some dental surgery..........................

I started off by getting the airframe its final (I hope) coat of primer. I also ended up getting the PE for the electrical plug, gas caps and wing tips installed too. The flying control surface inspection windows are far from perfect, but are acceptable, and at this point, really just want to get them to a point where I can start paint (apologies for some of the sub par pics):

20180408_223413-XL.jpg

20180408_223406-XL.jpg

20180408_223350-XL.jpg

20180408_223240-XL.jpg

20180408_223248-XL.jpg

I also got the gloss  black applied to the areas that needed it in prep for some Alclad chrom and AKI polished aluminum. This included the exhaust headers that I ended up painting with polished aluminum then just a hint of hot blue/red, and just enough soot to make it look like the engine has been at least ran a few times, but not well used. I also put down some of the MRP "signal red" on the spinner while I was at it:

20180408_220307-XL.jpg

20180408_220300-XL.jpg

I also finished up the work on the brake lines that included some strange bends to keep it up against the landing gear, as well as some brass scale hardware nuts:

20180408_223259-XL.jpg

I also busted out the custom brass engine stand I soldered, smoothed and painted gloss yellow a few years ago when I started this build, to see how it would start matching up with the secondary engine I got from Icaerodesign, that will set beside the finished model:

20180408_222906-XL.jpg

20180408_222901-XL.jpg

MORE................

I had painted all the necessary areas of the secondary Lycoming 580 "Thunderbolt" in gloss black that needed it, then painted the valve covers in chrome, the trans and spark ignition areas in other aluminum colors with the intake and carb in polished aluminum, and cylinders in dull aluminum. The block, oil pan and fly wheel are all in MRP signal red with dull aluminum accents for the bolts. Its FAR from perfect and there are a lot of boo boos on the engine, but its less than 19mm long, and you can get a pretty good sense of scale, as that is a standard cocktail stick/toothpick holding it up in the pics:

20180408_223052-XL.jpg

20180408_223044-XL.jpg

20180408_223012-XL.jpg

20180408_222839-XL.jpg

20180408_222720-XL.jpg

And how it will eventually look after mating to the engine stand:

20180408_222609-XL.jpg

20180408_222620-XL.jpg

20180408_222459-XL.jpg

20180408_222512-XL.jpg

The engine is far far from done, as I still need to add the headers, intake runners many AM polished tube covers, spark plug wires, finish the engine mount to get it fixed to the stand and some other stuff.

Thanks for looking in on me! 

Cheers, 

Looking awesome. This model is pretty small isn't it? I'm still puzzled at the size. I can see it on top of the Tigercat but what's the wing span approximately ? Just curious. The tooth pick showing the engine to the stand looks huge. Maybe it's a dowel not a toothpick? I really like the exhaust burnt coloring you did and the under wing inspection panels look great too.

Thanks for sharing.

Troy

Troy, Mark thanks both for stopping in and commenting. This one is definitely a big change from more dull military paint and wear/tear. Hopefully the paint, including the secondary engine and stand, will have a lot of "pop" to them, and really bring some attention to the build!

Looking awesome. This model is pretty small isn't it? I'm still puzzled at the size. I can see it on top of the Tigercat but what's the wing span approximately ? Just curious. The tooth pick showing the engine to the stand looks huge. Maybe it's a dowel not a toothpick? I really like the exhaust burnt coloring you did and the under wing inspection panels look great too.

Thanks for the kind words Troy.   Yes, the Extra is super small IRL, hence even in 32nd its a hella tiny model. 

The Extra 330 SC wingspan in 1/32nd is 9 3/16ths or 23cm.   The Extra 330 engine block is a whopping 7/8" long without the fly wheel, and about 1" wide from valve cover to valve cover.

Im planning on picking things back up today, and seeing if I can get the secondary engine mount for the stand completed and sanded, as I had previously painted it in polished aluminum, but it had some flaws in it still, and they came through after the polished aluminum was sprayed, so I applied some filler that I will sand down and repaint with gloss black for a followup coat of polished aluminum. 

Brian, this is cracking work start to finish!  Great stuff!  Look forward to it's completion, and will no doubt remember this build when watching all the performers at this June's airshow here. 

All the best

Brian~