Den fighters, (forever)

LSP_K2

I had not too long ago bought a replacement Mosquito, and I also have another Eduard Yak, brand new, plus I'm sure I've also seen the Eduard Fw 190 box here somewhere, which, hopefully, will provide the remaining pieces. The George is just an Otaki kit, and I can snatch one of those from feepay, if need be. I'm a pretty happy fella right now. I intend to eventually display the Mosquito box, as it's such a cool reminder of my younger days.

mzl235.jpg

All I can offer about the spinning prop business is that in flight, from the cockpit, you really can’t/don’t see much of anything.  Zip.  Nada.  The thing is spinning at 2,000 rpms or better in cruise which is too fast for our eyes to focus on each blade as it goes by.  Ditto from the front looking at a spinning prop in normal light, although you might see a hint of a circle where the prop tips would be if they are painted.  You can actually see more of a spinning prop from the side than anywhere else.  99% of the stuff you see in photos or art is an attempt to use some variation of strobe effect to give the viewer’s brain something to latch on to and has little to do with what you really see.

1 hour ago, Oldbaldguy said:

All I can offer about the spinning prop business is that in flight, from the cockpit, you really can’t/don’t see much of anything.  Zip.  Nada.  The thing is spinning at 2,000 rpms or better in cruise which is too fast for our eyes to focus on each blade as it goes by.  Ditto from the front looking at a spinning prop in normal light, although you might see a hint of a circle where the prop tips would be if they are painted.  You can actually see more of a spinning prop from the side than anywhere else.  99% of the stuff you see in photos or art is an attempt to use some variation of strobe effect to give the viewer’s brain something to latch on to and has little to do with what you really see.

I agree 100% I'll do it just because a flying prop model, with no indication at all of a spinning prop (correct or otherwise), just looks odd to me.

• 1 month later...

Loved them all. I built most of those over the years, all but one have fallen to the trash monster. One of the first ones I ever built was the Monogram Mossie. I did her in the "intruder" scheme, brush painted with testers square bottle paints. No gloss coat, but I had progressed to the point of fixing seam lines. Used the Monogram markings for

A O YP. I am happy to say she still survives and is gracing my living room wall, warts and all. Most of the stuff I built in the 70s-90s has long since become land fill, but I do still have my Tamiya Tiger 1, the Pzkw IIIM and one of my Dad's conversions of the Tamiya Sdkfz 251, modded to carry their PaK 40. Those 3 are sitting on my desk at work. At least for now, retirement looms on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...