HK Mosquito at Hannants....

geedubelyer

Thanks, but that "review" just says what's in the box, nothing on accuracy or other information. I have been hearing different stories of issues with the nose and nacelle contours but nothing is mentioned here at all about shape, dimensions or anything other than the plastic bags, the amazing engineering and a bit on the fit of the main parts. A little disappointing, guess we'll have to wait for a more substantial "review" of the actual details and accuracy.

Edited by 32tragic

... Thanks, but that "review" just says what's in the box ...

... and that's what the in-box review is supposed to be ... simplified!

... How does it stack up against it's current competition (the only other one on offer)? ... Wonderful, I'd say.

Details on shape and millimetre perfection should be discussed on another thread ... or maybe a tweak list!

... and argued about on another forum!

Rog :)

Thanks, but that "review" just says what's in the box, nothing on accuracy or other information. I have been hearing different stories of issues with the nose and nacelle contours but nothing is mentioned here at all about shape, dimensions or anything other than the plastic bags, the amazing engineering and a bit on the fit of the main parts. A little disappointing, guess we'll have to wait for a more substantial "review" of the actual details and accuracy.

Terry, my reviews are always in-box style reviews, and for a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm no subject-matter-expert when it comes to the Mosquito (or any other aircraft type for that matter), so I'm not qualified to speak about accuracy or shape issues. And to a large extent, I don't really care all that much about them, either. Commenting on them from that perspective would be just silly.

Secondly, I prefer to post as many images, and as detailed a description, as possible, and let people make up their own minds about the kit. That's what in-box reviews are really all about: a detailed look in the box so that you can see what you get.

Time is also another factor. Sure, I could spend countless hours boning up on the Mosquito, hunting down scale plans and poring over photos, but I just don't have the time (nor, as I've alluded to above, the interest). As it is, this review has taken me a week to put together, at the expense of my own modelling time.

But, you shouldn't be reviewing if you're not an expert! In-box reviews have their place, and are useful in my opinion. I find that, every time an SME makes some prognostication about some aspect of a kit, 2 more show up to contradict him/her. You don't have to be an expert to take decent photos and write an articulate description (though those things require their own skills, obviously).

I'm sorry that you didn't find that useful, but I stand by my approach.

Kev

Terry, my reviews are always in-box style reviews, and for a number of reasons. Firstly, I'm no subject-matter-expert when it comes to the Mosquito (or any other aircraft type for that matter), so I'm not qualified to speak about accuracy or shape issues. And to a large extent, I don't really care all that much about them, either. Commenting on them from that perspective would be just silly.

Secondly, I prefer to post as many images, and as detailed a description, as possible, and let people make up their own minds about the kit. That's what in-box reviews are really all about: a detailed look in the box so that you can see what you get.

Time is also another factor. Sure, I could spend countless hours boning up on the Mosquito, hunting down scale plans and poring over photos, but I just don't have the time (nor, as I've alluded to above, the interest). As it is, this review has taken me a week to put together, at the expense of my own modelling time.

But, you shouldn't be reviewing if you're not an expert! In-box reviews have their place, and are useful in my opinion. I find that, every time an SME makes some prognostication about some aspect of a kit, 2 more show up to contradict him/her. You don't have to be an expert to take decent photos and write an articulate description (though those things require their own skills, obviously).

Kev

Spot on Kev,

I'm sure in time there will be pieces regarding the kit's accuracy, would be interesting to see the HK and Revell kits and real thing photographed from similar perspectives, also if the glass noses are interchangeable for instance, and later to see if the Tamiya and HK fuselages match up with each other...

Kev

I agree. 

Firstly and foremost, I'm a modeller. I'm not an authority on a particular subject, and won't pretend to be. I also won't pull apart a kit having never seen it before, but then praise the competition, having never seen that either. I've experienced that recently, and it's pretty disingenuous.

There will always be someone though to hang on the tails of those who have torn a subject to pieces, and then attempt to suck the fun out of it for those who wanted to make a purchase. 

Oh, Rog - I think I accidentally deleted one of your posts. Sorry!

:(

Kev

Anyone know the price in Aus?

Thanks to Kev for deleting the first response I made to this question :fight: ... It's really ok, Kev ... Just taking the Mick' ...

My price ... from Frontline ... was $229.99 w/ free shipping :D

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Excellent contents review Kev, which is what we all want.

I very much want to support HKM's endeavours but it's going to take a two-stage Merlin variant to extract my cash, like a PR.XVI, so I have to wait to enjoy the delights of this series.

TBH, it compares very favourably with the Tamiya which might be a little over-engineered (read as takes slightly too long to build). I like the comparative simplicity here - 325 parts for HKM vs something like 745 for the Tamiya.

Tony