1/48 C130 Hercules

SirBlueHenry

I have recently started building this huge kit, and in fact have 2 of them that will both be done, one of them a gunship, so i thought I Might as well record the process here.

Started about a month back .

I have glued all the windows in, and the doors have been fixed in position.

The first build (not the gunship) is for a friend of mine and will be done in blue and silver delivery scheme but with SAAF markings to represent early service scheme 1960's

It is due to hang on the ceiling - but will have undercarriage out and cargo doors open, but all other doors closed.

I recently saw some pics of someones build where they had installed lights (LEDs) inside and I really like this so will be doing the same.

I started off glueing the 2 fuselage pieces together for each side which is quite a job in itself and is an area which can allow for already messing up your model. 

I have almost fully assembled the nacelles and the wheel halves are together.

Due to the plane hanging up - I will not do any wheel flattening.

The circular windows are a major problem in that the lip is the wrong depth to receive the window pane so if you didnt do anything to remedy this - all your round windows would be about 1/2mm to 1mm inside the fuselage instead of flush. using a 7mm drill i manually drilled the lip down till the window was flush or greater. - the left over plastic is very thin indeed and you need to be careful. I then glued them all in and sanded most of them flush with the fuselage skin.

The cockpit windows - the 4 and 4 on each side, not the main section, luckily fit pretty well and i got these in without much fuss.

I do not intend to do any more detail at any point anywhere on the model as it will only be viewed from below as it hangs on the ceiling and the LEDs will provide the point of interest especially at night when one could switch on all the lights.

This sounds like a pretty cool project. Unfortunately, being 1/48 scale, it doesn't qualify for the WiP forum, so I've moved it here to Non-LSP Works instead. Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Kev

I've got three of these kits. The AC-130A, C-130A I'm going to build as the Blue Angels Fat Albert and the Drone carrier. They are a huge build when all those pieces and parts are put together.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

okay - amazingly I made a good lot of progress on the C130. I must say - this is just an amazing aircraft. The cargo ramps will be open and lights will illuminate the inside. I accidentally broke one piece as i removed the lights  - so have a minor repair to do.

So I'm busy with all the interior without doing anything extra - just what the kit provides. the only view will be from the rear so a lot of detail will only be viewable from a narrow angle and so only needs to be convincing - not accurate.

I also spent time looking at the colour scheme and how to make this more appealing on such a large model. The aluminium finish - with white upper - being the delivery scheme for many Air Forces is my choice. It will be done for SAAF if i can find decals. The fin has an interesting subtle mix of colours but the aluminium fuselage needs slight tint changes for different panels - without turning it into a harlequin. I will have to do experiments to see how to obtain these slight visual changes with probably mostly 2 slight variations.

I also have no idea what the wing and tailplane upper surface colourations were.