Chance-Vought XF5U-1 'Flying Pancake'

ruzlkampf

Hello Everybody! Finally got enough pics together to introduce my next project. Except for some resin Corsair wheels, and a MasterDetails pilot, it will be all scratch-built. Hey, it ain't got no wings or fuselage,and it's all one color.... how tough can it be, eh?! :P I'm extremely intrigued with this design after going over a LOT of technical data. I will spare ya'll an historical background unless asked, but I will say that this was the next-in-line design after the F4U Corsair from this company.(can you see the family resemblance? B) ) Corsair design started in 1938--this in 1939.

I was able to find an incredibly nice paper airplane design of this AC from a site in Bulgaria. heh heh. If it can be made out of paper, sheet styrene shouldn't be a prob. I've also been fortunate to acquire multiple sets of drawings that I've scaled. I also ordered the pilots flight manual on CD,and will get a nice reference book with it. Oh yeah, for those who look forward to my now traditional(and obligatory) 1/2 time intermission "flying it around virtually on a computer" pics, you won't be disappointed? :rolleyes: I managed to scrounge that up too! Joy, joy, happy dance. I've been flying this off carriers for the last coupla days, and can't wait to show ya'll some 'carrier ops' with it.

But I digress; Here are some pics of the paper model(which I will be building parallel with the styrene version) that I'm using as a 'basis'. Not too bad for paper, eh?!

post-4413-1220334743.jpg

post-4413-1220334800.jpg

No need for elaboration,...I think ya'll get the idea.

I've already made this structure out of paper(see it on top of plans in the last pic) just to check feasibility, and it was smooooth. Here are some of the steps in the directions, so everybody can see how Im going to tackle this 'flying cow pie'. Uuuhmm, if ya'll were wondering,...of course I have a plan....I'm not COMPLETELY stoopid. :rolleyes:

post-4413-1220335221.jpg

And so on, and so forth...pretty standard stuff. I'm just going to make it out of different stuff.(with LOTs of putty,...shiver! B)

Here's one of my overall plans. I think this just about qualifies as uglier than Kevin's Sea Venom. :P I'm so proud! :rolleyes:

post-4413-1220335957.jpg

This is what I'm starting with. Uhhh, looks kinda flat right now, but it will eventually turn 3-dimensional. There's my resin pilot, (with a 21st century pilot on the plans to help visualize 'scale') and one my plans with the paper 'mock-up' on top. This AC is dimensionally smaller than a Spitfire, with 2 huge radials! :rolleyes: Whooo, gonna be 'cooking up some pancakes' real soon!

I'm actually going to be trying for a 'what if' -4(?) version with Trumpeter R-2800's for more power than the prototypes R-2000's. Also going with internally balanced 'flaperons' on the tail.(no, those aren't elevators...this used those to roll, along with the helicopter cyclic pitch change of the props), and other assorted what-nots to depict this in WWII squadron service.

Should be....interesting. B) More pics as things develop. Later, Russ

post-4413-1220336629.jpg

Building a plastic model from a paper card model is a great idea. This one has all the engineering worked out - it has the patterns for all the formers and the skin. Cut everything out of plastic instead of card stock and you are well on your way to making a great model.

The adantage of working with plastic sheet (or balsa wood) rather than with card stock is you can avoid the main problem with paper card - the inability to make compound curves. With a paper card model you always end up with hard edges where smooth curves are needed. With plastic or wood, however, we can use putty on the inside and outside and then file and sand it to get the nice flowong surves.

All of the work of designing the formers is already done. All you have to do is cut them out of plastic sheet.

Personally, I prefer wood, probably because I learned modeling with wood back in the old days (I was with Washington when he crossed the Delaware). But the process is the same.

Go for it, you should have a ball! :rolleyes:

Ahhh, I see you have the vision to see what I've planned here 'ssculptor'?! Yes, these are done in cad and are extremely well done and accurate! I left out a lot of directions in the pictures above, cause they didn't pertain to my build, but this paper 'kit' (actually a .pdf. download) oozes sophistication and quality,..the closer I look the more impressed I am. Everything is already colored, no painting required, and even the compound curves(it's ALL curves!) are really well engineered. A little bit of balsa around the edges, and between the prop 1/2's would really smooth the transitions and give the paper something to glue to. Scissors,exacto knife,paper glue and yer set. A 3-D paper puzzle actually. :rolleyes:

Erwin, I don't know if you've had a chance to try these, but it is very similar to building in balsa. As I mentioned, I will be building the paper version in parallel, cause I must share how cool these paper models are. I know I'm hooked on these bad now. Lotta fun,no painting,no toxic materials, and sooo many subjects in the larger scales to play with. Got a PM for you Kevin! Later, Russ

Ahhh, I see you have the vision to see what I've planned here 'ssculptor'?! Yes, these are done in cad and are extremely well done and accurate! I left out a lot of directions in the pictures above, cause they didn't pertain to my build, but this paper 'kit' (actually a .pdf. download) oozes sophistication and quality,..the closer I look the more impressed I am. Everything is already colored, no painting required, and even the compound curves(it's ALL curves!) are really well engineered. A little bit of balsa around the edges, and between the prop 1/2's would really smooth the transitions and give the paper something to glue to. Scissors,exacto knife,paper glue and yer set. A 3-D paper puzzle actually. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned, I will be building the paper version in parallel, cause I must share how cool these paper models are. I know I'm hooked on these bad now. Lotta fun, and sooo many subjects in the larger scales to play with. Got a PM for you Kevin! Later, Russ

Yes, I've been accumulating these paper models for quite a few years now. I started with them as a child during WW2 when they were printed in the Sunday funnies sections of the newspapers. They were pretty simple, obviously. I made a bunch of the more sophisticaed paper models in the early 1970's. However, one had to be careul when selecting models to make in paper. Some of them have so many parts that it can become stressful. Especially the tank kits when one is expected to cut out hundreds of identical track parts. This can make one run screaming from the hobby room. Which is one reason I prefer woodl I can skip a lot of the smaller airplane parts with wood as a bit of putty takes the place of several compound curves.

Enjoy your project. It looks like fun.