Kitty Hawk's OV-10 A/C Main Wing Update 9/8/2017

Joel_W

JA

Great start on the Bronco - seats are starting to look mighty good and nice way to tackle the seat belt issue. I'm working on the buckles for you

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Hey Bro,

Glad you stopped by.  As you know I wasn't happy with the kit PE flat as a board seat belts and harnesses, and I'm horrendous at making those RP belts, so this is my next best option. So far so good. 

Bro

I've one in the stash, so I'll follow your build to see how it goes.

Darren

Darren, 

Pull up a chair and enjoy the ride.

I've tried a few early KH 1/48 scale kits, namely the F-94C with the lizard skin, and the Cougar with each fuselage side comprised of 4 separate pieces with neither kit ever making it to my workbench. So I've tended to shy away from KH kits till the Bronco just cried out to me. And so far, I'm really impressed.

Joel

Joel, great to see you get going on the Bronco. I usually stick to jets but the Bronco is one of the few prop planes I would like to build some day.

Cheers,

Marcel

Marcel,

With your skills,  I have no doubts that you'll turn the Kitty Hawk OV10 into a world class replica. 

Joel

Well, it took another full week to finish both ejection seats. What started out as two little mini kits

ZeJSPo.jpg

looked like at best a few days of applying Eduard's interior PE set parts for the seats, making my own seatbelts & harnesses, painting, and a little detail painting.

This:

LlLthc.jpg

to this

pOyBtS.jpg

Left a lot to be desired. Starting with the headrest, the seat protection for the crew's head in case of the need to eject is a solid piece, while in actuality, it's not. Eduard has the part in PE, so I hat to cut off molded on piece, and then glue and paint the PE into position. Also the really nice  pre-painted PE ejection pull grab was glued to the side of the headrest. and there is a warning decal and label dead center on the face of the headrest. Naturally the AOA sheet has it  :thumbsup: when I got to the stage of gloss coating for a little weathering, the decal was applied.  I completely missed the fact that there is a manufacture's logo  decal on the backrest which is not only clearly marked on the decal sheet, but Steve of AOA fame pm'd me that I missed it. Of course I already added and painted the harnesses, and just wasn't going to remove them. My justification was that it most likely would have been quickly worn off as per many of the pictures I have. But that issue just kept on nagging at me, so I thought I just might be able to wedge the decal under the harness assemblies and let the Micro system plus Solvaset do it's thing. AOA also had supplied those decals.  Well, finally I got a break and it worked out just fine.  :whistle:

noXrO6.jpg

My bro Pete, pointed out, and quite correctly, that the seatbelts and harnesses were just too darn dark. Damn, He spotted it ASAP :oops:

pOyBtS.jpg

he also supplied a custom color mix that I made up with Tamiya paints, and applied it as more of a wash then a solid color coat. Took a few coats, but the difference is like night and day.

IsHjP6.jpg

I added the pull ring between the leg seat cushions, seat adjustment levers, and a few other pieces of PE, some pre-painted, some not pre-painted.

on the Port side of both seats is a large black coiled cable, and a smaller gray cable. I made the larger cable by winding wire around a finishing nail, then painting it Nato Black, followed by dry brushing with a med gray.  I tried and tried to get the smaller cable made the same way, but it was either to big and or looked just plain wrong. so finally using lead wire I opted for a solid cable painted a light gray. It's not correct, but it's the best I could do as the two compliment and contrast to each other as they do in real life, as you can see in the picture directly above. 

At this point I glosscoated both seats with Testors Glosscoat, then added the two decals, then re-glosscoated the two decals so I could add a dark black wash. Then finally sealed with a combination of 4 parts Dullcoat to 1 part Glosscoat for a Eggshell finish. 

0V7MfT.jpg

znt7F9.jpg

Next up is the start to the Pit.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

The ejection warnings and (what I assume are) NAA logos really bring things to life! 

Brian,

they sure do.   Who would have even thought that it was possible to work the decals under and around those bests, and don't forget that they're masking tape, so one touch, and the decals will stick to them like glue.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Outstanding work on the bronco's seat. All the small details and markings, really bring them to life. As crazy as it sounds, the seatbacks add that extra dimension and feel with the belts in places compared to the kit's  flatness and board like look. Nice work on the color and finish of the belts ... sure looks mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Outstanding work on the bronco's seat. All the small details and markings, really bring them to life. As crazy as it sounds, the seatbacks add that extra dimension and feel with the belts in places compared to the kit's  flatness and board like look. Nice work on the color and finish of the belts ... sure looks mighty good

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Bro,

Thanks for stopping by and checking up the seat update. there is a little more to be added cable wise, but I need to install them into the pit 1st. 

Your mix for the seatbelt and Harness color really made a difference. 

Bro

Great start Joel! I like your seats and me too I'd like to build a venezuelan Bronco! I like your way of building o simple yet so effective! by simple I mean straight forward!

I'll keep an eye on this build as I have done with the others you've done! back there quietly learning.....

Joel, you've popped those seats out, the before and after is awesome. 

When I use tape for the belts, I normally stick the tape back to back in some areas? Helps with painting! 

Breaker,

Thanks so much for stopping by. Glad to have you along on the build. I've tried the doubling up of the tape if you look real close at some of the pictures, you can see the seam between the two pieces of masking tape that gives the belts a little more thickness, but I left the bottom sticky side facing out so it's easy to get the belts to stay in the shape I put them in.

Joel