1:32 Tornado GR1, operation desert storm.

viperfixer

Time for a little update. Got my soldering station. Works very well and already proved its worth with the fins for the tanks.

sjt9.jpg

Cleaned out my spray booth, put new plastic in and it's operational again. Here it is with the fins, which have primer on them now, first paint for this kit!

0twl.jpg

Hopefully the last AM part I need to make a gr-1 arrived today, the Flightpath Sky shadow ECM pod.

hkck.jpg

p2nw.jpg

Same as for the fuel tanks, I don't have any decals for this, but I will think of something. Got to check my spare-decals to find something that will look a bit like it.

Now on to the actual work I did. Continued with the fuel tanks. Lot of putty, sanding, primer, and then again the same. But I got one of them pretty alright now. There's still a lot of areas that are not perfect, but I already knew that the best I could achieve with this would be decent. This is the best I could make of this one, and still one more to go.

k8qh.jpg

caep.jpg

qmuz.jpg

Also worked on the seams on the horizontals and primed and sanded them. The are very smooth now after the Alclad grey primer. And the surface detail on this kit is very good as you can see, although it's completely missing in some areas.

mjux.jpg

lua.JPG

Among the areas where the surface detail is missing are the air intake upper surfaces. Luckily the PE set took care of that. Got the intakes puttied and sanded, applied primer, sanded again, and now they look pretty good. Good thing about taking pictures, I noticed some panel lines got filled with primer. Got it fixed already.

iuuq.jpg

d7k1.jpg

4euo.jpg

c838.jpg

And I started working on the cockpit. For now only primer. used white here hoping that it will brighten up the light grey base color a bit more to compensate for the shadows in the cockpit.

s1m3.jpg

Well, that's enough for now.

Love your spray booth....can I ask what the plastic bottle is for ?? :speak_cool:

Andy

I would guess at cleaning out the last of the paint from the airbrush by having a hole in the side and a foam/sponge filter inside. Edited by jacksdad64

Thanks, guys!

I would guess at cleaning out the last of the paint from the airbrush by having a hole in the side and a foam/sponge filter inside.

Well, Andy, looks like your question has been answered before I got the chance to. Except for the filter part he's right!

Since I'm being followed by a Tornado special interest group, I might as well ask you guys a question. What color of grey should I use for the fuel tanks and the landng gear? Tamiya or Humbrol color codes would be nice to know. Thanks!

The fuel tanks colour would depend on where they were 'borrowed' from but you couldn't go wrong with barley grey as the 2250's were taken from the pointy ones.

As for the u/c areas I use Revell sm301. This is an off white colour which looks about right. Just don't commit the cardinal sin of using white. :)

Steve

Thanks, Steve, that's what I need! Good to have some experts reading my topic! I've seen a lot of Tornado's up close so I knew already that the landing gear isn't white, but thanks anyway for the warning. I'll check how the color you mentioned looks.

Shifted my attention to the exhaust nozzles now. Looks like I'm all over the place with this kit. But the idea is that I want to get the biggest obstacles out of the way first before I start the more basic construction. Don't know if I'll have the patience anymore in the end for this. Nozzles didn't turn out to be so difficult, only a lot of work. Second one is not finished yet. They are a big improvement on the kit parts, and with paint on them they will look pretty realistic I think.

They are constructed of 3 rings which fit into each other and 14 small parts you have to bend and fit into place.

vgu3.jpg

That turns into this:

w5ak.jpg

lqy1.jpg

szx8.jpg

9s6o.jpg

8exj.jpg

Now back to work, 14 more small parts to make and solder the second one together.