Plastic Surface Prep

Nightrain

When it comes to making the surface acceptable for a metallic finish, which surface type is best for the bare plastic? I know shiny gloss black (possibly polished up and smoothed out) goes below the metallic. I know surface imperfections are magnified in a sense with this finish so I know a scratch and lump free surface is recommended but would it be even better to go beyond that to a buffed bare plastic? Possibly to the point of seeing reflections (not perfect mirror but close)? I wound up going over the model with a tweezerman nail buffing kit (works better than any fine sanding/buffing pad I've found and easy to find at non-specialized stores btw) and this is now the finish of the bare plastic. My worry is the smooth as gloss surface texture will not play nicely with a gloss black or stynylrez base. Would this be more likely to lift or flake off if I use any other base besides lacquer based tamiya gloss black? Do I need to tone down the shine a notch to what I would call semi-satin (not quite gloss, not quite satin)? Anybody with NMF experience please chime in to cheer me on or shoot me down. Your experience is invaluable. The metallics will be AK Extreme. Thanks.

David

If you're using AK Interactive's Xtreme Metal, then there's really no need for a black undercoat. In my testing I found it makes almost no difference to the final outcome. In fact, even when using Alclad's range, a gloss black undercoat is really only indicated for their Polished Aluminium and Chrome paints; most of their standard metallics don't require it.

If you're using AK Interactive's Xtreme Metal, then there's really no need for a black undercoat. In my testing I found it makes almost no difference to the final outcome. In fact, even when using Alclad's range, a gloss black undercoat is really only indicated for their Polished Aluminium and Chrome paints; most of their standard metallics don't require it.

Indeed, the gloss black undercoat is only required for hi-reflective finishes. However, even with the standard Alclad paints, you can have a sublty more reflective finish. It's up to you, depending of what you're looking for.

But a smooth satin grey undercoat works very well for a standard aluminium finish.

Having used the AK metal paste products....which I think are terrific....I would prime your model with Mr. Surfacer or the Micro Primer from Alclad. The paste on bare plastic will work, but it will rub off or peel off super quick. The Primer gives it something to hang/dig into. See my build for how I used the paste:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=68638&hl=%2Brolling+%2Binto

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=67769

Cheers

Collin