Hey all of you closet motor heads! You know who you are. Where is

JRutman

I believe 'G' gauge is 1/24th scale.

Sincerely,

Mark

I think so as well. Would that make 120mm 1/24 scale? I wonder. There certainly is a paucity of figures available in this scale. I thought there would be more because of the car guys

J

120mm is 1/16 scale. 90mm is about 1/24th scale.

Tamiya makes some 1/24 scale mechanics that I think could be converted to military mechanics with some judicious re-sculpting. Coveralls at least are pretty universal, just takes a little relocating of pockets or such.

I believe 'G' gauge is 1/24th scale.

Sincerely,

Mark

Hi Mark and Jerry,

In model railroading there is a range of scales that are used in G gauge.

So we model railroaders try not to say G scale, but rather we say G gauge.

In G gauge the track gauge is 1 3/4" between the rails and include the following scales:

1/32 scale as exemplified by Marklin #1 trains

1/29 scale as used by Aristocraft and USA trains

1/24 scale as used by Bachmann (some trains) LBG (some trains) and possibly some of the other samller compnies.

1/22.5 scale as used by LBG European trains

1/20.3 scale as used by Bachmann and others.

The larger the scale the more narrow gauge are the trains since the gauge remains unchanged.

1/32 is closest to true gauge full size trains.

Then there are the cheap train sets from China that one finds on sale at Christmas time for $40 to $60 a set. The lord only knows what scales these things are made to, as I have seen locomotives in 1.22.5 scale with 1/32 scale railroad cars in the same set. But they are radio control and carry their own batteries and run surprisingly well on the plastic track provided in the set. The newer trains also have sound and smoke.

Yes, this is enough to make the most fanatical fine scale modeler run screaming from the room. :frantic: That is also why we use the three foot rule for scaling G gauge model trains: "If it looks good from three feet away it is in scale."

Personally I see nothing wrong with mixing 1/35 with 1/32 scale trains. After all, there is so much good stuff available in military trains in 1/35 scale that one cannot let it go unused.

Figures are available in all different scales for these model railroads. You just have to have a ruler handy and when you see some for sale you measure them and figure out how tall they are with respect to the scale you are using.

Have fun and do try to remember, it is only just a hobby. :help:

Stephen

Edited by ssculptor

This would be height of a 6' person in different scale sizes, in inches/centimeters:

in. cm.

1/24- 3.00 7.62

1/32- 2.25 5.71

1/35- 2.06 5.22

Using a 1/24 6'(3.00in)scale figure in 1/32 would covert to 8 ft. tall.

Using a 1/35 6'(2.06in)scale figure in 1/32 would convert to 5'-6" tall.

Dave

Another problem is how tall are your "average" people?

Taking 6 feet as an average is conveniently easy for doing the math, but most people are not 6 feet tall. There are lot of shorter men. Women are also shorter.

If you are in the United States the average height for men is ~5'-10" and for women it is ~5'-4".

But the average heights decrease as humans get older.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

My point is that we do not have to be that exact in selecting the figures for our dioramas, or model railroads (which themselves are dynamic dioramas as some of the parts move). There are in any group women who are about 5' tall and men who are over 6 feet tall, So we can have a range of heights that will work.

By the way, when your wife makes you accompany her when she goes shopping, you can make it just a little tolerable by carrying a small tape measure or a 6 inch ruler in your pocket. Then while she is endlessly making her selections ("Do I like the puce or the chartreuse underwear for my husband? Oh, I just can't make up my mind.") you can slip away and look for toy figures. Around Christmas time in the USA there is a line of small houses and figures used for decorations around the tree. I forget the name of the company that makes them (or imports them from China) but the buildings are 1/48 scale, more or less, and the figures are 1/32 scale. Keep your eyes open and you will be amazed at what you can find for dioramas.

To make life a whole lot easier just carry a 1/24 or 1/32 scale ruler with you on these shopping or scrounging trips.

That makes the task a dream. Where do you get these scale rulers? I don't know. Try Googling for it.

Stephen the scrounger

Another problem is how tall are your "average" people?

Taking 6 feet as an average is conveniently easy for doing the math, but most people are not 6 feet tall. There are lot of shorter men. Women are also shorter.

If you are in the United States the average height for men is ~5'-10" and for women it is ~5'-4".

But the average heights decrease as humans get older.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world

My point is that we do not have to be that exact in selecting the figures for our dioramas, or model railroads (which themselves are dynamic dioramas as some of the parts move). There are in any group women who are about 5' tall and men who are over 6 feet tall, So we can have a range of heights that will work.

By the way, when your wife makes you accompany her when she goes shopping, you can make it just a little tolerable by carrying a small tape measure or a 6 inch ruler in your pocket. Then while she is endlessly making her selections ("Do I like the puce or the chartreuse underwear for my husband? Oh, I just can't make up my mind.") you can slip away and look for toy figures. Around Christmas time in the USA there is a line of small houses and figures used for decorations around the tree. I forget the name of the company that makes them (or imports them from China) but the buildings are 1/48 scale, more or less, and the figures are 1/32 scale. Keep your eyes open and you will be amazed at what you can find for dioramas.

To make life a whole lot easier just carry a 1/24 or 1/32 scale ruler with you on these shopping or scrounging trips.

That makes the task a dream. Where do you get these scale rulers? I don't know. Try Googling for it.

Stephen the scrounger

All good tips bro.

I once made a Civil War dio with a Secess infantryman and drummer boy. The grunt was 1/32 historex and the drummer started out as an old tamiya 1/35 africa corp dude. The hieght difference was amazing just from those 2 scales but it worked.

J