Scratchbuilt 1/24 Grumman F8F-1 Bearcat

Jim Barry

Today I worked on the IP. The panel is a 3D print then a layer of clear plastic and then little cut out instruments printed on photopaper from a Google image  search on aircraft instruments. These are not exactly Bearcat instruments in the gauge holes. Keen eyes will note the compass has a jet image in it.  Thought I'd just admit that one before someone calls me out on it!  Maybe guilt will make me change but for now I got to keep moving. There is so much to do! 

n2Ebr4.jpg

Edited by Jim Barry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow Jim!!!  Just discovered this.  I love what you are doing here (one bicyclist to another, BTW).  I really must buy the Fusion 360 package and learn how to use it.  I used to use Catia back in my working days.  3-D printing could solve alot of my scratch building problems, and save some labor.

Jay,  Glad you found my build. Kinda quiet on the Western Front here. I've been working to improve my workspace,  raise a puppy and get some bike training in. The Bearcat has been in 4th place all too often. All good. I'm feeling way ahead of things generally having just started my first LSP Scratchbuild just over year ago. A break is due.  I'm really liking building with 3D printed parts but it's still an experiment for me and have yet to declare a revolution. It's still HARD to make your own stuff and then fit it all into the idea of model airplane. It's also so consuming and interesting so that then switching back to manual building (Sanding wing tips for instance) is tougher than you might imagine. Different mind set. 

Here's cool picture and some aviation history all in one. So the pilot here is Jesse Leroy Brown, the first African-American U.S. Navy Aviator. I thought I'd go into his story here but I'll let the reader dig into as they see fit. He's pretty amazing, let's say that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_L._Brow

WXzgQJ.png

Great story Jim - tragic too.  So he was flying Corsairs in Korea.  I wonder why the Bearcat wasn't a front line fighter in Korea.  Wait - I'll bet I know.  Same reason the late model Mustangs were not.  I'll bet defense funds were funneled into the jet programs.  Initial air campaigns in Korea had to make due with what we had left over from WW2 I suppose.   The F4U was just fine as a stop-gap as was the P-51D.  Why not the P-47, I'll never know, as the missions seemed to suit that aircraft much better.....   When I think of a Bearcat - I think what is the smallest aircraft we can fit around that big R-2800.  I also think - the Hellcat was supreme; the Japanese had nothing that could touch it either in the air or on in all likelihood the drawing board.  Still - what an amazing aircraft.  Here's one for you - the bearcat is the only plane I know that lacks the commonly seen dome in front of the propeller.  I believe that dome houses the prop pitch mechanism.  So what gives?  Where is the bearcat prop pitch stuff? 

Finally - are you aware of the website AirCorps Library?  I use it extensively for my P-47 renovation.  It has access to all sorts of original drawings for many aircraft, including the Bearcat.  Some collecctions are more complete than others (the P-47 collection appears 100% complete, amazingly).  Don't know about F8F.