1/32 Tamiya Spitfire MkIXc WD-D EN354

Maurice

Hi folks, 

Coming back to LSP after a couple of years or so break. I have a couple of unconcluded projects in the forum a Tamiya Birdcage and a Hasegawa Ki 44 Shoki.

But to gain momentum I was tempted after some time to do a desertic scheme Spitfire MkIXc. I will transcript what is described from the Eagle cals description:

WD-W EN354:

This was a MkV upgraded to MkIX specs. This aircraft was operated from La Sabala airfield in North Tunisia, pretty close to Tunis the capital city. Fitted with five spokes wheels, small carburetor intake and large over wing blisters.

It seems that this was part of the RAF inventory and it was transferred to the USAAF.

RAF markings where over sprayed with dark earth. So a pretty unusual Spit camouflage, lots of fun doing the painting.    

The only AM item at this point are the North Star 5 spoke wheels, which are supposed to arrive in a couple of weeks. 

Cheers  :piliot:

35999142782_cae75f98f8.jpg

35360307103_632ac5d585_z.jpg

35360307273_0b39005166.jpg

36126379786_784700fd9d_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Looking forward to your Tamiya Spit build and all strapped in

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you Peter, for this one I'll continue with the black basing method. The light blue on the lwr surfaces and the middle stoneon the upr ones provides plenty of tones to play with. Still thinking about wich interior set to use as the seat belts from the kit although quite decent, could be improved with a AM one. :piliot:  

Guest Peterpools

Hi Maurice

So far, I've built two Tamiya Spits, upgraded the front offices with detail set from Baracuda and replaced the seatbelt / harnesses with sets from RB.

I'll be following your black basing method as I'm planning on doing with it on my A6 project and am learning as much as I can.

Peter

Hi Maurice

So far, I've built two Tamiya Spits, upgraded the front offices with detail set from Baracuda and replaced the seatbelt / harnesses with sets from RB.

I'll be following your black basing method as I'm planning on doing with it on my A6 project and am learning as much as I can.

Peter

Thank you Peter, RB seat belts look awesome, just ordered a couple. How was putting them together? They look pretty realistic. 

Maurice,

Glad I'm not to late for the party. I'll be pulling up my chair and following your build to it's conclusion  :popcorn:   I've seen this scheme done in 1/48 scale, and it's rather unusual to say the least.

Joel

Thank you Joel, 

Finally I could get back to the bench, working the engine out. I wanted to give that oily and dusty look expected as these Spitfires were operated in Tunisia, a desertic, dry, dusty sunny environment. 

Basically I started with a base coat of XF-18 semi gloss black, then I applied with the airbrush some lights of dark grey XF-24 on the cylinders heads covers side walls of the block and the bottom of the engine. Then a coat of Pledge equivalent to future to give that glossy finish so I could apply oil washes with Tamiya panel line accent color, (brown and dark brown)  I know the the references say that the finish should be semi gloss, but as I wanted to give a dusty finish I over sprayed very thin coats of XF-57 buff, kind of a sand color. Then I applied some dry brush with metallic paint humbrol to highlight the edges. Finally sealed everything with Klear Kote Matt from Alclad II. 

There is the firewall in the middle of an oil wash as well, I'll show it when finished. 

Cheers  :piliot:

35568303953_dff926125d_z.jpg

35568298503_0483db1525_z.jpg

36376406935_c57a14921b_z.jpg

35568293753_0f12014150_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice