1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

It's hard to believe, but  I'm ready to post another short update.

After the front landing gear assembly was finished, work naturally started on both main gear struts. The kit comes with both solid plastic struts, and metal struts of an unknown manufacture. I originally decided on going with the metal struts. After 3 days of filing, sanding, polishing, then repeating, those pesky molding seams still were causing me issues, so I put them down, and decided to go with the plastic struts in the kit. They looked strong enough for the task, so I primed, painted, sealed, and then weathered them. But as I was cleaning off excess paint from the mounting pins, one just snapped right off in my hands, with little pressure added by yours truly.  I glued the broken piece on, and put both Struts back in the box. Out came the metal struts again, and I was back trying to remove those seam lines. Finally I got it as close as it was going to get, as I was starting to soften the raised detail. 

I primed the gear with Tamiya Gray primer sealer, then a mix of  Tamiya XF-2 white and light  XF-19 light gray to end up close to the color that the black basing achieved on the lower surface. Next came a gloss sealer using Tamiya's X-22 thinned 1;1 with Tamiya X-20A thinner rather then my usual go to Yellow cap, as it takes a little longer to try, giving the X-22 that much longer to level out. the place card is a kit decal. Once dry it was sealed in X-22 again, then a Black oily wash. Then sealed with Testors Dullcoat. 

Next came the brake Hydraulic line constructed out of lead wire. the metal straps were fashioned out of masking tape painted flat Steel.

fq2i6m.jpg

then I installed them into the wing wheel wells.  I had originally decided to go with the rubber kit tires, but I really didn't like the way the rubber tires look, so I ordered a pair of AMS resin wheels, which should be here today. I painted and weathered the kits wheels just for effect, and then dry fitted them to the struts as it looks a lot better then nothing there at all.

Bt5K3Q.jpg

LISvEk.jpg

I  had also painted the arrester hook, glossed it, and used the AOA striped black decal instead of having to mask and paint it. Looks darn good to me. Way better then I could have done on my own

ehFDnt.jpg

It was also weathered then Dullcoated.

Finally, today is the day that the centerline gas tank, stations and loads are glued into position.

3K3DFe.jpg

And here's two pictures of how the bottom of the Scooter came together

WBsGdP.jpg

vyGJfC.jpg

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

That's looking really good Joel. Great work ... been thinking about how to do the straps on the gear struts on my hornet, and I like what you've done here.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks so much for stopping by, it's always much appreciated.

Actually, I took the easy way out with those straps. My original idea was to buy a roll of Aluminum tape that they use for sealing boiler vent pipes, but I keep on forgetting to buy some. One roll should easily last me a few life times.  :doh: 

Joel

That's looking really good Joel. Great work ... been thinking about how to do the straps on the gear struts on my hornet, and I like what you've done here.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks so much for stopping by, it's always much appreciated.

The tape is just my backup plan, as originally I was going to buy a roll of Aluminum tape that they use to seal boiler exhaust pipes, but I always forget when ever I go to our local big box Home Improvement center. One roll should easily last a few life times.

Joel

Joel,

What to say, but awesome!  Love those landing gear struts.  Thanks for the tape Idea.  I think I'll be using that one down the road.  I've looked for foil tape here, but since nobody here needs a furnace and associated trunking, nobody seems to sell it.  Shoulda bought some when I was in Alaska.  Dang-it!

Keep up the inspiring, friend!

Gaz

Joel,

What to say, but awesome!  Love those landing gear struts.  Thanks for the tape Idea.  I think I'll be using that one down the road.  I've looked for foil tape here, but since nobody here needs a furnace and associated trunking, nobody seems to sell it.  Shoulda bought some when I was in Alaska.  Dang-it!

Keep up the inspiring, friend!

Gaz 

Hey Buddy,

Thanks for those really king words. 

When I remember to actually buy the furnish tape, I'll send you a yard of the stuff.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

Outstanding work. The loads and undersurfaces look perfect. I'm most impressed with the gear: amazing comeback from a near fatal blunder, of which, I thought I was the only one capable of doing that.

Super details and some nice touches

Keep 'em coming

Bro

JA

Outstanding work. The loads and undersurfaces look perfect. I'm most impressed with the gear: amazing comeback from a near fatal blunder, of which, I thought I was the only one capable of doing that.

Super details and some nice touches

Keep 'em coming

Bro

Thanks Bro,

Only you know just how long and hard I worked on them, and there's only 6 bombs, and one modified centerline gas tank.  I even added some small details to 2 of the 5 stations that I never mentioned. as you know, those pesky metal struts gave me fits for days.  The best part is I can finally after nearly 6 months see the finish line. 

Bro

Fantastic work on the mains Joel. Your attention to the finer details really sets your builds apart from most others here.

Tony,

Thanks so much for stopping by and checking out the Scooter. the majority of detailing comes both from my brother not letting me take the easy way out, and the guys here that have a really high standards of execution as they constantly demonstrate in their builds. 

Joel

I've got some of that tape, I find it's a bit thick for what we need unless you can buy it in different thicknesses (Mine was 'acquired' from work ;) ). 

I really wish Trumpeter would stop those vinyl tyres. No one likes them and they're a swine to weather.

JA

Just don't trip over the finish line and drop the Scooter

Bro

Bro,

not a chance. I plan on having the Limo pick me up at the house with the Scooter boxed by Brian, and driven across the FINISH LINE in style.

Bro

I've got some of that tape, I find it's a bit thick for what we need unless you can buy it in different thicknesses (Mine was 'acquired' from work ;) ). 

I really wish Trumpeter would stop those vinyl tyres. No one likes them and they're a swine to weather.

Breaker,

Now that's interesting. I never really considered the thickness, but for what it's intended purpose is, thicker would definitely be better. So my quest will continue with using printer paper next and stick glue in tests to see how that works. I need almost instant stick in place for it to be a viable option.

Joel

Guest Peterpools

JA

The only safe way is if Evil packs up the Scooter, carries it for you to the limo, the limo drives across the line and then Evil unpacks it and places it in the tiedown area! Notice, you're completely removed from the operation!

Bro

JA

The only safe way is if Evil packs up the Scooter, carries it for you to the limo, the limo drives across the line and then Evil unpacks it and places it in the tiedown area! Notice, you're completely removed from the operation!

Bro

Bro,

That will work for the Noreastcon as it's local, but the Mosquitocon in NJ requires driving the full length of the Bronx Expressway, then over the George Washington bridge. Not sure anything could survive that trip.

Bro