Rick,

Just found your P-40B build. Impressive is putting it mildly. Your scratch building skills are more then equal for the task at hand. The resulting cocpit looks so much better then the Lone Star one, that they should pay you :goodjob: 

I'll be following your build carefully to it's completion as I'm planning on a few P-40s myself.

Like my brother Pete, I'm heading over to UMM-USA for that hex nut punch set since I already have their regular punch set, so I know that the quality is top notch.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Joel

Guest Peterpools

HI Rick

Nice progress on the P-40 gun sight - pretty amazing.

Thank you for the link for the punch set. UMM is out of stock and I'm going to see if I can find it on Ebay or buy direct.

Much appreciated

Keep 'em coming

Peter

HI Rick

Thank you for the link for the punch set. UMM is out of stock and I'm going to see if I can find it on Ebay or buy direct.

Much appreciated

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Bro,

Figures that when we want to make a multi purchase, UMM is out of stock.

Joel

Great work so far!

Curious, were the "B" model P-40s painted yellow ZC in the interiors?

Thanks Kurok.

My sources (D Bell book) state P40B interiors were Yellow ZC and Aluminum.  A color photo showing P40B's at assembly plant with rear cockpit bulkhead as well as other interior parts are Yellow ZC.  Therefore, I will enable my FICE directive.

Rick,

Just found your P-40B build. Impressive is putting it mildly. Your scratch building skills are more then equal for the task at hand. The resulting cocpit looks so much better then the Lone Star one, that they should pay you :goodjob:

I'll be following your build carefully to it's completion as I'm planning on a few P-40s myself.

Like my brother Pete, I'm heading over to UMM-USA for that hex nut punch set since I already have their regular punch set, so I know that the quality is top notch.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

Joel

Thanks Joel.

HI Rick

Much appreciated

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Good luck snagging a set.  I actually gave up waiting for UMM to restock and ended up purchasing direct from RP Toolz.

Edited by Rick K

N-2A gunsight complete.

TRU_P40N-2A.07.jpg

Bottom is painted NATO Black and the removable cap is Medium Grey.  I added some cockpit stencils.  Assumption there was a "remove before flight" note on the cap.  Meh, close enough.

TRU_P40N-2A.06.jpg

Detail picked out with panel line wash.

Edited by Rick K

Gun Charger handles.

TRU_P40_GunChargers.04.jpg

The gnat size Eduard handles were just that...gnat size.  I made my own with some .5mm styrene rods.

TRU_P40_GunChargers.01.jpg

Painted NATO Black.

TRU_P40_GunChargers.02.jpg

Trim and install...wait for it.

TRU_P40_GunChargers.03.jpg

After I installed the handles I was feeling real proud of myself.  I opened my reference book to discover these handles were RED.  :BANGHEAD2:

They will remain NATO Black.

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Terrific work on the handles and Lady Luck just said it so ... Red it is.

I've been on PZ site and they do have the set in stock plus shipping. Looks like I'll be biting the bullet and going that way

Peter

• 4 months later...

Now that my Mossie is complete I'm actually finding some bench time this summer.  Kids are now old enough to be shipped to overnight camps and day camps.  That means several things:  1) Conversations with my wife in complete sentences.  2) Several "date nights".  3) Bench time.  Noting, priority is #1 and #2.

Before I button up the fuselage I want to enhance the Formation Lights.  Abandoning the kit lights and will upgrade with MV lenses.

TRU_P40_FormationLights.04.jpg

I'm adding Formation Lights using MV Lenses #203 Blue Lens 2.2mm dia.

3cf188e9-7993-4661-810c-4571ff1f1225.jpg

Prior to filling the formation light opening.

TRU_P40_FormationLights.01.jpg

First, I filled the existing holes with putty.  Sanded and primed to clean any imperfections.

TRU_P40_FormationLights.02.jpg

TRU_P40_FormationLights.03.jpg

Using a #44 Drill the holes were carefully opened.

Edited by Rick K

• 4 months later...

Finally making progress on this build.  Fuselages and wings glued.  Fuselage and wing edge seams cleaned.  Will address the wing root next.

TRU_P40_Front_Wng.Attach.jpg

TRU_P40_Fuselage.WingAttach.jpg

Black primer applied to find any offensive seams.

TRU_P40_PortPit_Detail.jpg

Scratchbuilt cockpit fits well.  I image is lightened to show inside detail so color is indeed off in a kinda washed out kind of way.

TRU_P40_StarboardPit_Detail.jpg

Port side of cockpit.  Seat not installed.  Stall buzzer on starboard real panel scratchbuilt with punched discs and some creative sanding.  Pilot armor back not glued, yet.  I have a plan.

TRU_P40_WheelWell.RecogLightPrep.jpg

Undersides getting some love.  Shell ejector slots cut out and black primer applied to find any seam imperfections.

TRU_P40_WheelWell.RecogLightPrep.01.jpg

TRU_P40_WheelWell.RecogLight_TestFit.01.

TRU_P40_StabilizerDetail.jpg

Stabilizers got some love to eliminate several rows of rivets.