Spitfire 25

DonH

I would like to join this group build with a Tamiya IX + a Tamiya XVI.

My build pace is glacial and I won't start before January, so my chances of completion in time are close to zero.

However, I want to participate out of respect for Edgar.

I can't say I knew him. We exchanged e-mails a few times regarding various Spitfire details. All I can say is, he was a complete gentleman and a tremendous source of knowledge. He is missed.

Speed isn't important Don (trust me - I'm as slow as they come) - the fun is in taking part...  :thumbsup:

I can't remember the last time Edgar finished a model - but that wasn't important - it was the research that was his reward.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

Spitfire XVIe in progress!!

I have been have an enjoyable week sitting at my dining room table snipping bits of plastic off sprue and glueing them together. I decided to see how far I could get before I had to commit to the paint booth.

The answer is - quite a long way.

The engine, frame and firewall are together (cowlings are on so no need to paint).

Wings are almost complete with just the clipped tips to add.

Rudder, tailplanes and ailerons are all done. 

I have stuck some miscellaneous bits to the cockpit walls. And then....

I thought, "As this is an OOB build, modelled in flight, you won't see much of the cockpit with the canopy closed and a pilot in place. So, why not hand paint the cockpit?"

And that's what I have just done.

I used Mr Color 364 Aircraft Grey Green thinned 50/50 with Mr Levelling Thinner. This paint is a pretty good match for interior green IMO and is my new favourite having taken over from Humbrol 78.

Anyway, I took a big hairy stick and almost literally slapped it on everything that needed a coat. Wow! What a paint. It has dried to a semi-matt sheen with NO, count'em, NO brush marks. I cannot believe it as I am no master at brush painting, believe me. Even the photo etch has taken to it nicely.

Just finished some detailed painting with Tamiya semi-gloss black and it is all looking quite nice. Next up, a bit of aluminium paint and a wash and weather.

Pics to come when I stop having fun and the light is better.

Cheers

Don

Edited by DonH

Too bad Don. Did you get the chance to do any modelling this weekend?

Cheers.

Nad, nichts, nothing.

Now packing to get on a plane to Shanghai. It will be Friday before I get home. First week in Feb is looking pretty clear though, I hope to get something done then.

Cheers

Don

• 2 weeks later...

At last, some photos. Taken with my iPhone, so sorry for the poor quality.

Wings and fuselage

2016-02-01%2012.42.28_zps6lls8bs1.jpg

Now onto some cockpit stuff:

2016-02-01%2012.42.54_zpsdtax01ta.jpg

I would also like to introduce you to the pilot - Edgar A. Obviously, I still have to attach his head and one arm, but he will be guiding this particular Spitfire on its journey through this build. His mate, Edgar B, will be piloting the Mk IX when I get onto that.

2016-02-01%2012.41.49_zpsyiydy5h2.jpg

2016-02-01%2012.41.31%20HDR_zpstr4pvdi9.

That's all for now. I hope to close up the fuselage this week and then either start filling rivets on the wing or start the Mk IX, or both.

Cheers

Don

• 3 weeks later...

I shook the box and a MkXVIe fell out....

I have got the MkXVIe almost ready for primer. Some small areas that need touching up, that's all.

Edgar A is still without his head. This will be added after paint as it makes the cockpit easier to mask without it.

PLEASE REMIND ME TO ADD HIS HEAD BEFORE I PUT THE CANOPY ON!!!!

2016-02-202016.07.25_zpsc3j9i0sj.jpg

2016-02-202016.07.39_zpsajkzne0m.jpg

2016-02-202016.08.08_zpsiict2heq.jpg

ca81ee90-2672-4682-b2d6-484d80d3f983_zps

2016-02-202016.06.37_zpsrimqh74e.jpg

Then I shook another box and a Mk IX started to fall out....

No painting on the engine, it is just there to hold the cowlings and prop in place.

2016-02-212013.26.5320HDR_zpskdsrimsy.jp

2016-02-212013.27.29_zps3jtdhbwd.jpg

So now we have IX and XVI in progress.

Not much is going to happen for the next few weeks due to work but I hope to really crack on with this in April and actually finish the GB on time.

Cheers

Don