I was happy to stumble on this last night. Where did you find the tail extension? I would like to find one too.

I shared the exact same passion for this aircraft when I was a kid. I recall riding my bike across Edmonton only to stare at it through a chain link fence at the Municipal airport on Saturdays. It too was the first Mustang I ever put my eyes on. Little did I know what association I would have with it later in my adult life. I followed it at airshows while I growing up and later while I was in the Airforce. I became friends with Ross at the Alberta Aviation Museum, where the two of us volunteered in the restoration department.

The cockpit was modernized and did not look at all like a WWII cockpit.

You mentioned Flypast 1985, “What's Up Doc†was on a cover of a magazine last year. There was a special on Mustangs and in this issue there was a new article on the Bolivian Mustangs. I have it, I think it was Warbirds Magazine. There may be a digital version.

I think you are correct about the canopy.

The floor was definitely sheet metal. It was a bolt on fitted cover.

Ross sold his Mustang to the owner in Kissimmee. Who modified it to American Beauty and authenticated it back to WWII standards. I think it was an Oshkosh grand champion or runner up.

She is now Lou IV and is in the Mid America Museum in Texas. I was in error in regards to the accident, there was another Mustang painted as Lou IV that had a fatal accident.

http://www.aerialvisuals.ca/AirframeDossier.php?Serial=21107

Hi Scooby, I beleive I got the resin tail piece from Contrails Models, but I don't see it in their catalogue anymore. There are a few things missing from their lineup that I remember them having. That being said, there was someone on eBay offering those items at some point as well, including the Mustang tail in all 3 scales. I might have a second resin tail in the stash, if I can find it, you can have it.

You have such an interesting story to tell about Ross and his P-51, I'm glad you can share it. Such a small world. I grew up near the Muni, and my Grandparents used to take us there on walks when we were kids to watch the planes.

I've also found the magazine you mentioned, very cool! It is the fall 2016 issue of Mustangs International, I'm trying to track down a copy, as it seems the back issue is unavailable from the source.

Keep checking in, hope to get some more bench time in today. Cheers.

Edited by r0t0rdr1ver

Hi Scooby, I beleive I got the resin tail piece from Contrails Models, but I don't see it in their catalogue anymore. There are a few things missing from their lineup that I remember them having. That being said, there was someone on eBay offering those items at some point as well, including the Mustang tail in all 3 scales. I might have a second resin tail in the stash, if I can find it, you can have it.

You have such an interesting story to tell about Ross and his P-51, I'm glad you can share it. Such a small world. I grew up near the Muni, and my Grandparents used to take us there on walks when we were kids to watch the planes.

I've also found the magazine you mentioned, very cool! It is the fall 2016 issue of Mustangs International, I'm trying to track down a copy, as it seems the back issue is unavailable from the source.

Keep checking in, hope to get some more bench time in today. Cheers.

This link has it in stock:

http://www.warbirdsintlnow.com/back-issues-wbi-mi.html

Yeah, I'd appreciate the extra tail if you can find it.

I'm going to search for it too.

How do you plan to do the Cavalier conversion?

For interest sake, I have original photos of the four Bolivian P-51 Mustangs that were imported into Canada, among them What's Up Doc? (a later marking BTW). Each was similarly painted and they are lined up outside the Echo Bay Mines Hangar at the old Edmonton Municipal Airport. Three were Cavalier conversions. Also among the photos, a formation take off of Bolivian P-51's out of Edmonton. Now that is something you wont ever see again here!

Mark Proulx

I think one of my old instructors Butch Foster ferried one of those birds back up to Canada!!

Cheers

Alan

Guest Clunkmeister

Im excited to see someone building this bird.

I have a round about history with the original, having been, back in the 80s, friends with Ritchie Rasmussen, who owned, restored, and flew the "Flying Undertaker", a D model with a war history. "Flying Undertaker" and "What's up Doc" displayed and travelled together to the various air shows.

Great memories and good times back then. This brings back some memories.

Great build so far!

This link has it in stock:

http://www.warbirdsintlnow.com/back-issues-wbi-mi.html

Yeah, I'd appreciate the extra tail if you can find it.

I'm going to search for it too.

Haven't found the tail piece yet Scooby, my space is a bit disorganized, but I'm sure it'll turn up.

That website is the one where I found the back issues, but it won't let me add it to my cart...it will only let me add the Spring issue. Still haven't found anywhere else that has it, but I'm sure one will turn up on eBay eventually.

I think one of my old instructors Butch Foster ferried one of those birds back up to Canada!!

Cheers

Alan

Cool! I actually came across a Gentleman on FB whose father ferried one down to Bolivia back in ‘67. He shared a couple of pictures of his Dad and the Mustangs enroute. Lots of interesting history.

Whoah! I just checked the photos again, and several of them are inflight shots of 67-22581 (‘What's up Doc') before and during its ferry flight to Bolivia....how cool is that!

ADHfoI3.jpg

DQteOjY.jpg

BEHs0lC.jpg

vqI0khL.jpg

Edited by r0t0rdr1ver

Im excited to see someone building this bird.

I have a round about history with the original, having been, back in the 80s, friends with Ritchie Rasmussen, who owned, restored, and flew the "Flying Undertaker", a D model with a war history. "Flying Undertaker" and "What's up Doc" displayed and travelled together to the various air shows.

Great memories and good times back then. This brings back some memories.

Great build so far!

Thanks Ernie! Lots of memories for me too.

Guest Clunkmeister

There was another Cavalier in similar guise as well, if my memory serves.

I may have some old pics laying around, I'll need to look.

There was another Cavalier in similar guise as well, if my memory serves.

I may have some old pics laying around, I'll need to look.

See my post #12 above. In fact, there were three Cavaliers and a single standard configuration.

Mark Proulx

Edited by Mark P

See my post #12 above. In fact, there were three Cavaliers and a single standard configuration.

Mark Proulx

Yes, there were several. Bolivia received 25 Mustangs over the years, 9 of which were Cavalier II's. Several came back to the US and Canada. Of the Canadian registered ex-Bolivian Mustangs, I'm aware of C-GMUS (Cavalier FAB 523), C-GXUO (FAB 506), C-GXUQ (Cavalier FAB 520), C-GXUR (Cavalier FAB 521), C-GXRG (Cavalier FAB 519), and C-GXUP (FAB 511).

Edited by r0t0rdr1ver