1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

This will be my first entry in a group build, ever. I don't have the skills or experience to approach some of the work here, but I will refine the cockpit and add the non-existent wheel wells at the very least. I was pleasantly surprised to see that this release of the kit came with cuffless Hamilton Standard props.

So, I'll  do my best to turn an Airfix 1/24 Mustang IVa, Waldron seat belts, foil placards, oxygen hose and instrument dials into this:

4tkRMiK.jpg

or this:

jn2qUNr.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

I noticed that! I almost did the Hasegawa too, but the Airfix kit has been staring at me for a while. I have a big soft spot for 424 Squadron's Mustangs, but the 443 Squadron markings are really different...and the colour of the stripe was just recently discovered by one of our members here. Barney (Old Dog Flying) was the one who uncovered the colour photo after some persistent digging. 

Still not sure...424 might mean an order to CanMilAir. But I got the kit for practically nothing. 

Edited by R Palimaka

I understand from others that his decals are outstanding, but yes, they are pricey. For 1/24 scale decals for the 424 Squadron Mustang it's $56.00. Kind of eye-watering, but as I said the kit and extra bits hardly cost me anything...so I'm trying to rationalize it in my head. I do love the look of the yellow and black spinner with the tiger crest.

On the other hand, I could mask and cobble together the markings for the 443 Squadron aircraft from what I have on hand. Or just go with the 402 Squadron markings in the box....

I wish there were more aftermarket bits for this kit. But, maybe I'll learn some things along the way. :-)

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

I understand from others that his decals are outstanding, but yes, they are pricey. For 1/24 scale decals for the 424 Squadron Mustang it's $56.00. Kind of eye-watering, but as I said the kit and extra bits hardly cost me anything...so I'm trying to rationalize it in my head. I do love the look of the yellow and black spinner with the tiger crest.

On the other hand, I could mask and cobble together the markings for the 443 Squadron aircraft from what I have on hand. Or just go with the 402 Squadron markings in the box....

I wish there were more aftermarket bits for this kit. But, maybe I'll learn some things along the way. :-)

Richard

I have the new release of this kit with new decals by Cartograf. If you want them, they're yours. I'll include the photo reconnaisance bits as well should you need those.

JIaarpR.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Wow, I love the looks of the French machine! Something very different. 

This time I'm determined to do a Canadian Mustang from the 1950s, but I may take you up on that for a second build if this goes well. I think I might have the photo recon bits in my boxing too. I will check when I get home tonight and let you know.

Thank you, that's very kind!

Richard

Spent last evening attempting to print my own decal for the tiger crest on my ink jet printer. The experiment nearly worked, but the large black disc in the background came out dark grey, with very tiny crackles like the bottom of a dried puddle. Also the black stripes on the tiger were more greyish, and also had minute cracks. It was almost passable, but once I noticed I couldn't ignore it. The orange and yellows seem quite good. Obviously the dark inks don't like the decal paper. I'll rethink it and try again tonight. I have proper sized roundel decals, and I can mask and spray most of the rest of the markings, but I would like the tiger crest to be nice and crisp since it is so prominent.

And after deciding I would try not to get too involved with precise details, I found myself sorting out what kind of signals equipment this particular Mustang had. From the research I've done on RCAF Mustangs, over time you can see several variations of radios, IFF and radio compass fits behind the seat armour...and that also changes what panels are in the cockpit. I also have drawings of the target towing gear that was installed, and the pull handle in the cockpit which released the target. And trying to determine what colour the interior was...matte black or interior green...RCAF Mustangs could be either.  It's all a bit of a rabbit hole, but it's a fun rabbit hole.

I'll try to put up photos tonight, I had problems with Photobucket again last night.

Guest Clunkmeister

I'm interested in CanMilair as well. they list an RCAF Mi-17 set to do the Canadian Mi-17s that were deployed in the sandbox, so I'm curious to see how they work out for you.

I've always had a soft spot for postwar pre Sabre era RCAF Mustangs. The squadrons kept them spit shined at all times.

He does wonderful work, and is very meticulous about accuracy. I think he originally started doing decals for 1/144, so anything bigger is proportionately more expensive. I just have a hard time justifying $75 for a 1/24 decals sheet ($56 + tax + shipping). I'm certainly not criticizing, because I learned the difficulties involved last night. I'll keep trying to print one myself...but it may be easier to just break down and order from CanMilAir. At least I'll have all the markings I need for the build without some pretty time-consuming masking.

I may be biased but RCAF Mustangs carried some of the most colourful schemes, and you are right, they were well maintained. I really want to do a Polish Mustang IV, but I'm saving one of my Tamiya 1/32 ones for that.

Edited by R Palimaka

After being scolded for my choice of "Blue" trim it was very satisfying to find that photo of 443 Hornet Sqn RCAF Mustang IV at Jericho Beach, Vancouver.   The blue trim is Testors BLUE #1708 in the small bottle.

"Big Jon" at www.modeldecaldepot.com printed the lightning bolt/code in 1:32 for meand I'm certain that he could print it in 1:24 scale.  You would have to give him the length of the complte bolt .

Don't forget that you need lettering, GY B for the top side of the wing and VC  GYB for the underside..I missed this on the original photo..dummy!

Barney

I was going to add a photo of Mustang 9600  but Photobucket is really screwed up

BigMustang047.jpg

Edited by Old Dog Flying

Thanks Barney. I learned a lesson, and your detective work answered a lot of questions. That photo you discovered is fabulous. I think I'm going to go with the 424 Squadron Mustang on this one, but I would like to try 9600 or one of its  443 sisters next. I kinda like the idea of scratch-building the communications equipment behind the armour plate of 9600. I bought an original RCAF Mustang Maintenance and Engineering manual on eBay a while back, and it has pull-out charts and drawings of all the systems and modifications.

Yeah, Photobucket seems to be having serious issues lately. Frustrating for sure!

Thanks again Barney.

Edited by R Palimaka