Turning a Zeke into a Hamp

Hans

Hi Kagemusha,

Thanks for the info on the rudder.

The was a disussion about the hatch on one the J-aircraft fora last year or so. If I remember correctly the opinion was that there could (must?) have been a hatch but no photographic evidence has surfaced yet to prove it.

Regards,

Hans

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the A6M5 nightfighter, Hasegawa released one in 1/72 as part of their 65th Anniversary set-it's not been released separately, yet-so the details are out there, maybe you could post a request on a different forum, that deals with that scale, asking someone who has the kit to take a few photos... Or await till Hasegawa release it on its own...

Kagemusha,

Good idea. I think I'll give it a try.

I found a few more photos of the nightfighter on a Japanese website (Astroboy's). Unfortunately all the depicted planes had extensive bomb damage on that very spot were the hatch could have been.

Fot the nightfighter I also have to cast a new gun and a clear rear part of the canopy as the plastic one is too brittle (and way too expensive) to cut up. I have get some more eperience in casting before I'll try that.

As you can see on the attached pic I 've managed to cast copies of the weels of Tamiyas' Zeke last weekend, so there is some progress in this field..

post-1501-1180462751.jpg

Hans

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Joe,

So it seems. Better call my lawyers :blink: But seriously, have you finished yours? Any pics the beast?

I am still working on mine at a snails pace. I have remodeled the fuselage in front of the cockpit and have done some work on the interior but there is still a lot to do. Maybe I'll post some pics of it at the end of this week or early next week.

Hans

Hans,

Unfortunately, my build stalled.

My brother had some paint problems on a 1/32 Hurricane and I gave him a hand with it. Then I ordered the 1/32 Czech Model Buffalo. Then something else got my attention and I never got back to the Hamp.

I went beyond using the Doyusha wing as in my Hyperscale post and got some plans for a Hamp and scaled them to 1/32. Sound familiar?

What caught my attention was that when you hacked off the wing tip, your method was almost identical - even cutting to the same panel lines. The only differences were that I'm using the 21st Century kit, and that I didn't do it as top half and bottom half, but modified the tip with the wing glued together. I dropped the ball at the rough milliput stage. Now I am glad my build stalled. I had no idea that the flap was smaller on the A6M3 in that it did not extend all the way to the aileron.

As for patent law, even though my idea goes back to January, I think it fair that the credit go to the person who actually puts the completed product out first - which will probably be you . . . . . . and I am a lawyer.

There is a local hobby store that has both the 1/32 Hasegawa Zero and the Tamiya Zero built in a display case. Not referring to the accuracy, the Hasegawa kit's surface detail looks more realistic, and next to the Tamiya kit the Tamiya's surface looks toy-like. You made a very good choice and I look forward to the completed build. (For more ideas for my build, of course!)