P-51D 'Nooky-Booky IV'

ruzlkampf

Ooooooh-deee-ooooh-dee-oooooh! ;) That's my "I'm back cuz you guys are having too much fun over here" yodel. Wrapping up the Messerschidtt thing over on the other GB, and I don't have time left to finish anything else before the deadline,.....so I'mmmmmm Baaaack! Whoohoo! :P

Didn't take me long rummaging thru my closet to find sumthin else to occupy some time with. I'm going to try a NMF P-51 this time, with a ton of kill-markings on the side. Hmmmm, lessee I count 18.5. That'll do in a pinch. heh heh. Got a Master Details pilot, a set of decals, and some new wheels I may or may not use. Dunno yet. :frantic: I'll be starting on this later tonight. See ya'll then! :shrug: Later, Russ

post-4413-1262105383.jpg

Hey Gents, thanks for the encouragement! ^_^ Yeah Kevin, I wanted to do Chuck Yeagers 'Glamouous Glennis III(inspired by your X-1)', but went off on a bit of a tangent. Bahahahaha, I've already messed up on my first post Vaughn, more like 'back dumber and worse than ever"! :) Shoulda read the veeeeery fine print that said 'Nooky-Booky IV' is actually a P-51K. Imagine my consternation,perplexity, and chagrin?! Dooooooh! :clap2: Nothing wrong with that, but I want a 'D' with the Hamilton Standard cuffed props. Sooo,....I found a website called 'Little Friends' after a search (do NOT type in 'Nooky-Booky' for a search, as it will lead to sorted material that has NOTHING to do with this plane! :rolleyes: heh heh.)

But I digress; The site I found has codes.serial #'s, aircraft names and pilots for most every 8th AF unit. Very cool. Research shows Maj. Carson flew 4 'Nooky-Bookys' with the same codes and marked darn near the same. Won't bore with the details, but #'s 2 and 3 were P-51D's (whew!) and I got the serial #'s to go with them. Man, this guy made 'ace-in-a-day' over 5 FW-190's in late November of '44! Anywho, this build will now be 'Nooky-Booky III' with serial #44-14896.

On to the build! Whilst pensively putting off the exhaust stains and final details of the 109K, I started taping things up for a looksy. I got about 5 of these Hasegawa P-51's for $30 each, and for what ya get I consider these a bargain! I'm going to be mixing-matching pieces off other kits, like Dragon drop-tanks and pylons, and I flirted around with some un-shrouded exhausts from the PCM Spitfire to see how they fit. This will have the shrouded outlets, it was while researching that fact I found out it was a 'K'. (can't find any pics of 2 or 3, only 4, which was a blessed relief!) First thing I did was check out the cowling against a Dragon P-51, in hopes that I could find something correct to 'bolt on'. No love, they re a bit too rounded for my tastes....as are the kits. Rather than shake my fist at the sky and gnash my teeth in anguish.....I'm going to go about getting them as correct as my skills will allow. (did somebody say PUTTY? :rofl: ) Here's some pics of what I'm squawking about. Compared to the clear Dragon cowling.

post-4413-1262159463.jpg

Now, I'm not out to re-invent the wheel.....and others can build their P-51's the way they choose and it'll all be good. This is a 'Russ-build' and shouldn't be used for reference, just a lotta fun to follow along and see what I botch next, OK? I want a flatter toward the front cowl that has a bit more pronounced area above the valve-train/cam covers. Here's a PCM Spit fuse alongside to show what I'm going for. Not EXACTLY like the Spit, but somewhere in between what I got on the kit and this. Because the kit cowl is a separate piece on top, and I have a slew of others to build I want to make a casting of this piece and make more for the future. (dang,....am I actually thinking ahead? Whoah. :rolleyes: ) This pic is for comparison purposes only as they both have basically the same motor, and I wanted to see how they went about cowling it. Ignore the PCM exhausts in the '51, I was just playing around. ( I do that a LOT! )

post-4413-1262160033.jpg

I like this kit! :rolleyes: Checking against the Dragon kit (I ain't got a Trumpeter P-51D) there's not nearly the rivets and seams to fill. (always good for a NMF aircraft!) I'll save those Dragon kits to be 'putty-queen' Reno air racers methinks. Canopy is a bit thick, but fits nicely so I might vac another to see how it comes out. I've got a nice pilot figure that I want to be able to see well. A lot of planes in this unit had a clear bubble rear-view mirror in the forward/top part of the canopy, and I might try to pull one of those off. Fit of this kit is good I think, which really helps going for a silver finish. Anyway, more mock-up pics;

post-4413-1262160535.jpg

View from the front. Plans are to have 110gal. drop tanks on it, flaps/inner gear doors up, with a closed canopy. Basically getting ready to taxi out on a long-range mission. Got my wheels cut out from the casting blocks in preparation of whittling on the sidewalls of the tires to make them not so under-inflated looking. Used these True Details wheels on the P-51A kit and I liked em. (uuuuhm, and they're what I got handy) Did some musing/ditherings with Paint program to envision the new nose contours,....an ongoing process right now.

post-4413-1262160898.jpg

View of the undersides. Not going to be putting any eye-bleeding detail into this, just realigning and redefining some of the lines and getting some seams filled in. I'm going to keep this build light and fun! :rolleyes:

post-4413-1262161190.jpg

(do NOT type in 'Nooky-Booky' for a search, as it will lead to sorted material that has NOTHING to do with this plane! :) heh heh.)

Hi Russ,

Looking good buddy!!! Oh yeah, found this one, wrong serial but what the heck...

http://www.mustangsmustangs.net/p-51/survi.../44-74427.shtml

Offcourse I had too try that and guess........only P51 came up. :P might have the wrong browser here

Rick.

Crappy pic whilst I was checking out the profile. Feeling kinda guilty about starting this before finishing the '109, so I'm going to get busy on that now. Just some preliminary pics of my initial gawking at this kit. I consider it a bargain, and can't wait to get started on it. Just no telling where this road is going to lead,....hmmmm maybe all the way to 'Russville'?! :) Never know when putty is involved. :P More pics as things progress! Later, Russ

post-4413-1262161491.jpg

Hi Russ,

Looking good buddy!!!

Offcourse I had too try that and guess........only P51 came up. :hmmm: might have the wrong browser here

Rick.

Bahahahahaha! You ARE incorrigible Rick! :lol: I just knew you'd have to try it my crazy Duthch friend!!, meh heh. My search brought up all kinds of things I didn't know you could do with pool-cues/tennis rackets/Q-Tips and grape jelly. :) Riveting, interesting, and completely superfluous to what I wuz looking for....but I saw a bunch of new cool tattoos I can print up for my rub-off tattoo decal paper. :P

Okay Russ, you've officially made enough P-51's on the site to start another build category. The Mustang is so mainstream and ordinary compared to the typical Russville build that I'm surprised but glad to see you on the subject. I'll take notes and might follow closely behind with my own.

Whoohoo! BINGO 'rafju'!!! That's exactly what I was looking to see! :punk: Thanks a bunch dude. ;) I just finished off the '109K and was getting ready to start and re-contour the top of that engine cowling. Right on time, whew!

Ya know Rick, I just HAD to go back and re-type in 'Nooky-Booky' for a search to see what you were talking about. Gaaaaaah, you're right....it's chock full of stuff about this plane. Hmmmm, I must've typed in 'nooky-nooky', or 'nooky-looky' by mistake,....a common enough Freudian 'slip'? :) Blast it all though, I found a pic of .Nooky-Booky III' and it's GREEN. Bah. Can't do that one now, so after going in a 1000 different tangents and coming up blank.....I've decided to just do a 'D' with these markings.(unless I get a Jerry Rutman Aeroproducts prop before finishing this critter) I'm reminded of the saying," always make sure there's water in the pool before jumping in". :BANGHEAD2: Meh, anyway...with putty involved this just might turn into an F-82 'twin-stang' before it's all over with. Hmmmm, wonder if they had any of those as night-fighter aces in Korea? :hmmm: Anywho, I'm pleased to see my devious master-plan to goad 'wingman' into starting his Mustang is bearing fruit. heh heh. Hey buddy, this is only the 2nd Mustang I've been working on since joining here. The P-51A was just a warm-up.

But I quibble on, and digress; As mentioned, I got started on this talley-whacker today by drilling out the holes in the kit exhausts. Nooooo, not for a more 'scale-like appearance', but as pilot holes to bore them completely away! <_< I'm going to be replacing these anemic 'stubs' with better defied metal tubes to match up with the PCM Spitfire exhausts I've shown alongside. Man, I want bazooka-tubes coming outta those shrouds! Here's a pic. Kit exhausts already look much better drilled, but this is only a beginning.

post-4413-1262246688.jpg