Ok, I filed down the sides and back of the instrument panel and it fits good enough. Managed to close the fuselage, although only the front is glued, the back is currently held together with sticky tape. The fit of the cockpit is very tight, even with the sides of the fuselage sanded down until I could see light through them. I installed the floor once I had the fuselage tacked together which required some force. I didn't get it quite level, it's off just enough to bug me, but it'll be fine. I haven't tried fitting the armour plate behind the pilots head yet.

Pic_0502_044_zpsadeta3bs.jpg

Pic_0502_046_zps0mgdz70t.jpg

Managed to get the upper part of the engine cowling on, although it took some sanding and a beating, still requires some clean up. I've also cleaned up most of the joints, no real dramas there.

P1010001_zpsgoxoekhl.jpg

Here's a problem, the rear firewall and wheel wells are just too big to let the lower wing meet the fuselage. The left side isn't glued, but the right is and you can see the gap it creates. I've also got to widen the fuselage a little so the lower engine cowling fits like it should. I foresee some thinning and cutting in my future.

P1010002_zpsqvxq7ham.jpg

Great subject and built so far! I built that model some years ago as my first "short-run" kit, and it proved to be a big challenge. 

I recommend to glue some styrene rods arround the exhausts on the inside of the fuselage to secure the exhausts. Otherwise, after one wrong touch on the finished model, the exhausts could break and fall into the fuselage.

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Brad

Excellent progress on one tough kit. Just a shame so much 'extra' work needs to be done just to get the parts to fit together.

Keep 'em coming

peter

That's the problem with short run kits they tend to have challenging fit issues, but they are worth building because of the range of kits that you can get, it is also very satisfying when you looks at the beautifully finished result..

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Hi Brad.

How are you faring with this.

Just dropped by to see any more updates.

:piliot:

I've got some issue with the wheel wells, I'll get some more pictures up soon, but long story short; the resin parts are too small. I'm just a bit ticked off with it at the moment to look at it lol

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my frustration with this kit boiled over a bit and I had to go off and build something else for a while. As you can see by my last picture, I've been having issues with the wheel wells. Basically they don't fit, I mean not even close to letting the lower wing fit or the upper wing line up at the wing root. Also, from the pictures below you can see the resin sections are way too small, not sure if they have shrunk or what.

P1010019_zps74tb3cpq.jpg

P1010018_zps0fvwatvy.jpg

The under carriage looks like it's going to be real trouble to make fit properly too. So, I have made the decision that I'm going to rip out the wheel wells, close the gear doors and stick it on a pole 'in flight'. I've already been through the stash to see what pilots I have. I think a Bf 109 pilot will be fine.

P1010020_zpsxtaftv8k.jpg

I'm starting to realise why I've not seen many of these actually built. Oh and I still have to sort out the spinner which is way too small to fit the fuselage. Grrrrrrr...

• 2 months later...

Ah yeh, I know, I was kinda hoping I'd fly under the radar so to speak lol. You've caught me.

It will definitely be posed in flight, I just haven't really done anything on it since the last update. I still don't know what to do about the spinner, it's badly under size.

• 4 weeks later...