Painting exhaust stains & gun port stoof

Sparzanza

How does one do this without an airbrush, and without making it look stupid in the process? I've seen some people using some thinned black paint and just.. drag it out with a brush. This looks like crap to me. There must be some other way for us brush painters. I've found a good picture of exhaust stains on the side of a Hurricane with the help of the awesome BoB movie from 1969. I would like my Hurricane's stains to look similar. I assume the grey part is really old, while the black is fresh. So. How? :)

exhaustshurri_zps07d55175.png

Take an ordinary pencil...scrape the graphite with your blade/knife onto a piece of paper....use an appropiate size brush...load it with graphite filings and dry brush....very easy to control...you can control how dark you want it....seal after.

It also looks good for "dirtying up" the cockpit area without overdoing it....get darker graphite for exhaust stains...more silver graphite for exposed metal look

its also cheap.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have mentioned that I needed a poor man's alternative. The Tamiya pigment thingies seems very interesting though, so I will save up for that. Perhaps I can afford it later this month. In the meantime I will try superfly's technique.

Thanks again!

Only problem with pencil graphite (which I love) is that it can look metallic, which you don't necessarily want for exhaust stains. You may want to rundown a set of charcoal pencils (cheap at any art/hobby supply store) and use those.

I've used pencils for panel lines on my 1/24 Airfix Stuka. The metallic look will disappear once a coat of matte varnish has been applied. :)

I just tried superfly's technique on a silver 1:72 scale P51. It's a crappy model because it was painted with Humbrol Acrylics included in that giftset, so it's a good experiment platform. I had problems getting the fragments to even stick to the brush, and even so it took many attempts to get it sort of visible behind the exhausts, sadly. Maybe because it's a silver painted plane. It worked a treat for the gun stains though, but only because I drew actual lines from the openings and across the wing, and then rubbed the lines out until they were barely visible. While it may look alright on such a small scale, I'm not sure how it will work on a 1/24 scale Hurricane. More experimenting to be done!

Back before pigments became more commercially widespread, I used to use artist's pastel chalks ground up using sandpaper. You'd only need a few colors to get anything you'd need for exhaust/guns stains.....black, white, brown.....then mix the powders to the shades needed.

Chris