Tamiya P-51D Duchess Arlene UPDATE: 2/8/14: ALMOST DONE

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Thomas

Next time and I sure hope there isn't one, I'll just build another and skip the paint stripping. Glad to know you know the feeling and are as impulsive as me. I would love to see your Hellcat rebuild as a thread.

Peter

Lot's of guts, Peter!!!  In fact, fearless is the word that comes to mind watching you strip down BBD!

Well, Peter, my "Blondie" is almost complete.  In the process of doing the decals and touch up work even as we speak.

My alclad finish turned out to be TERRIBLE.  I learned so much for next time......!!  Oh well, at least there will be a "next time".

So, I resorted to the best thing I could think of in the case of a less than perfect Alclad finish..... heavy weathering!!!

I'll do the final reveal within the next week when it's all done and you can let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

Fearless . no way .. pig headed and stubborn maybe. S far, I've over come a few tough obstacles and started the Alcad Gloss Black Base this morning. I'll be following the same procedure I used on Old Crwo and keeping my fingers crossed the whole time.

What happened to Blondie's Alclad finish that went south on you? Looking forward to seeing your final reveal photos

Peter

Wow, Peter!

I am usually happy just to finish a model. I certainly don't have the guts to strip one down and redo it. Looks like you have made a great start and I am sure the end result will be worth all the effort.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers

Don

WOW.....

This looks great,

redones is never fun, but for shure builds skills fast, why accept a model if not pleased, do a redone, ive seen Franks 109 redone 3 times, the result speaks for it self.

So this is the right way to go i think if not pleased with something.

Mal

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Mal - much appreciated.

The first stage of the Alclad process is underway; the wings were shot with Alclad Gloss Black Base and will need to dry for at least 5 days to be on the safe side. I reaaly haven't even looked at the Duchess other then a quick glance to make sure all is A-OK. This way, I won't be temped to pick her up and avoid any possibilities of fingerprints and not a hint of latex gloves in sight!

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolfe

Thanks for the reassuraning words. Yesterday, I shot the first part of the Gloss Black base on the wings and tailsurfaces. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday, she will be completely dry and ready for the fuselage to receive it's base color. So far, so good: I have my fingers crossed that Murphy stays home

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Iain

She is well underway and hopefully will vindicate my decision. Of course, there will be another BBD doen the road this year; kit and decals are in the stash and ready to roll.

Peter