Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

So after 15 minutes I'm burned out on sanding and shaping. Time to jump to some other task. I had a couple hours of interrupted solitude (during the day, no less) so I figured I could get something done. I'm not a detail fanatic, but I don't like the chintzy hinges used to attach the rudder to the vertical stab. I'm not saying my solution is right, but I think it's much better than stock. I carved out the small areas on the rudder and used small pieces of plastic to represent the hinges. Upon close inspection, it looks like small pieces of plastic, but from a foot away (much much better than my usual standard) it doesn't look bad. I also cropped the top of the vertical stab a bit. I spent way too much time looking at various refs and pics to try and figure out exactly how much to trim. Refs were not in agreement, and pics are sometimes hard to rely on depending on angles, lighting, etc., so I went with TLAR- that looks about right. I also removed the giant rivets/fasteners in the W-shaped pattern on top of the stab. I think they are present on the real deal, but Trump's hubcap-sized representation is not even close. They don't show much, if at all, in pics of the real thing. I may add some later, we'll see.

20150914_145228_resized_zpsrprvfbei.jpg

I will re-work the static discharger/antenna/light/doodads close to the end of the build....they'd just get broken off if I worked them now.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

I taped things together just for grins. It actually provided some inspiration, as it gives me the illusion of a lot of

progress. The canard/shoulder areas are in need of more shaping and sanding, but they are getting closer. Right now, they don't quite even match up, but they should be very close when done. I also will find a PE vent cover that is close and mount that near the gun. I still haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with the tail stinger...it's very different than that of the

Su-27. This pic also made me realize my one-eyed ball-park measurements were off with regard to the wingfolds and

stabfolds...refs lead me to believe they should line up; mine don't. I'm not too concerned as it won't be notciceable

when viewed from the horizontal.

20150926_092425_resized_zpsh6nx6vdl.jpg

I've also included my 4-year-old daughter's Lego Green Lantern jet. She's eyeing up a Batmobile snap kit...she'll be ready for that soon.

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small bit of progress...I tend to bounce around from task to task on a build....and here's where I ended up: I did some sort of proof-of-concept work on the nosegear. I'll find some tubing silver in color for the final product, or maybe I'll shoot some Alcad on this to see how it turns out. The axle width may not be quite right yet, and I have yet to work out the FOD guard. The wheels shown are from Master Caster that appear to be poorly cast copies of the kit wheels. I may or may not stick with them; they are not quite accurate for an Su-33. But probable close enough for me.

20151005_163854_resized_zpsm0skom6s.jpg

Obviously nowhere near done...but a start. Thanks for looking.

jp

• 2 weeks later...

One more tiny milestone. I scribed in the hinges/foldlines in the horizontal stabs. I also added what look to be some reinforcements with pieces of thin card. The stuff I've done is simplified and not completely accurate, but it's much closer than the stock stabs.

20151019_120333_resized_1_zps807zpqsm.jp

Thanks for stopping by,

jp