Su-33 Sea Flanker

johncrow

Some very serious modelling going in here, but things are looking really beautiful with paint on. Your comments on the AKAN paints are interesting, I would consider them for a planned Mig-29 build but the last thing I need are finnicky paints.

The vacuformd windscreen look really good, congrats on that bit of ingenuity!

Cheers,

Marcel

Some very serious modelling going in here, but things are looking really beautiful with paint on. Your comments on the AKAN paints are interesting, I would consider them for a planned Mig-29 build but the last thing I need are finnicky paints.

The vacuformd windscreen look really good, congrats on that bit of ingenuity!

Cheers,

Marcel

Thanks, Marcel.  Your encouraging words mean a lot. It is certainly possible any issues I had with the AKAN paints were my fault. But I find Tamiya paint close to foolproof. I'm already looking forward to your MiG-29! And I must confess that I've not yet completely licked the windscreen issue yet. Or more accurately, fixing the windscreen to the fuselage....when it's no longer avoidable, I'll have to come up with something!

I like it!  Those Russki blue camoflages look really cool.

Ambitious project John, I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks much, Gazzas, Martin. That paintjob is still a bit garish, but I think I've got a plan for that. 

Regards,

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just about done with the camo....I'm at the point now where just handling it while I touch up scratches etc. is only causing more scratches etc. That paint can't handle being looked at sideways. I spent a lot of time correcting the errors from the first mask job. I used something for the first time that made the touch-ups much easier, I think. Maybe you have mistakenly masked one of the colors with a soft edge rather than a hard edge. Maybe the masks you made were basically one-time use, and were no good for any re-masking that needed to be done. Maybe you didn't spend quite the time you should've on the first masking try. Maybe you should've taken it easy with the cheap cold medicine. Or, if you are like me, you did 'em all. At the same time. 

I imagine I'm one of the last to hear about this stuff, but it helped me out a lot. I wish I would have used it from the get-go. It's Tamiya skinny masking tape...it's about 2mm wide and made of vinyl or something similar so it is easy to mask around curves, as long as they are not too sharp.

20170617_132743_resized_zps8rafvvof.jpg

This is where I'm at. Still not perfect, but it will have to do. I did manage to damage the fuselage on the left side of the cockpit, but I should be able to get that smoothed and repainted. In looking at reference pics, there's a lot of variation in the colors of these jets. From bright and new, to old and faded. I'm a little less concerned about the brightness of the colors, though I still plan to tone things down a bit. FYI, the canards and horizontal stabs are not glued in place yet, just stuck there for the picture. 

20170616_205221_resized_zpsp7ano1gq.jpg

Next up is masking and painting the radome, tailcone, and antenna panels...that should be pretty straight-forward. Right?

Thanks for stopping by,

jp

Edited by johncrow

Whats the plan for the weathering John? 

Thanks for stopping by, Breaker.

I initially favored one of the heavily weathered and faded jets, but after spending so much time thus far with the painting, I think it'll be somewhat closer to a 'like new' example. But I will do a bit of post-shading, I think. Plus a panel line wash, and a little bit of an over-all spray down with some heavily thinned light gray. I did that on the last Flanker I did...6 or 7 years ago already...and liked the effect it had. That's the plan right now, anyhow. 

Regards,

jp

Thanks very much Ohm-men. I appreciate it. It's been two years so far, but I'm getting there.

Regards,

jp 

I feel your pain. I started my Flanker in 2006. I shelved it after running into some issues with the Zacto Nose and picked it up again this past year. The construction is good now, I'm nearly finished, and decided to use Akan Ukrainian colors on a splinter type camouflage. I have used Akan before on a 1/48th Mig-29 SMT and had good results. This time around it does not seem as though the adhesion is working as well. I have tried thinning with Testor's acrylic thinner (one of the recommended thinners) and I tried Mr. Leveling thinner in small amounts. A couple of the colors worked ok, but one of them is a pain to keep from lifting. Like you said in an earlier post, it seems to not do well being handled and chips if you look at it sideways. Very frustrating, and I think from now on, I will buy Mr. Paint or mix others for the needed colors. I might add that I primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200 and that did very well on all of the resin and plastic.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley

I feel your pain. I started my Flanker in 2006. I shelved it after running into some issues with the Zacto Nose and picked it up again this past year. The construction is good now, I'm nearly finished, and decided to use Akan Ukrainian colors on a splinter type camouflage. I have used Akan before on a 1/48th Mig-29 SMT and had good results. This time around it does not seem as though the adhesion is working as well. I have tried thinning with Testor's acrylic thinner (one of the recommended thinners) and I tried Mr. Leveling thinner in small amounts. A couple of the colors worked ok, but one of them is a pain to keep from lifting. Like you said in an earlier post, it seems to not do well being handled and chips if you look at it sideways. Very frustrating, and I think from now on, I will buy Mr. Paint or mix others for the needed colors. I might add that I primed with Mr. Surfacer 1200 and that did very well on all of the resin and plastic.

Those are exactly the issues I was having.  I like the colors, but the time I spent fixing dings, scratches etc. could be spent fooling with Tamiya paints to get the right color. And I'd still probably come out ahead. I primed with Tamiya gray primer from the rattle can, and seemed to have the fewest problems when I used Tamiya acrylic thinner. 

Put up some pics of your Flanker!

Cheers, 

jp

Edited by johncrow

• 1 month later...

Another....

ekKOOw.jpg

So I dig Imageshack. It took me 60 seconds to set up an account, and 5 minutes to figure out how to post a pic. We'll see how things go long-term.  

These pictures show the limited progress on this build. I painted most of the white radomes/dielectrics/antennas.  (I missed a couple, done now...will post a newer pic or two in the near future.)

I still need to touch up a few spots of the white. These pics are basically Imageshack testbeds. I also am using a new phone for the pictures....(work phone, sorry boss!) No more smudges in every picture. 

Thanks for playing guinea pig,

jp

Edited by johncrow