Ju 88

Tony T

I have the first Ju88, but how different are the two kits?

The inital release is of the Ju88A-1with the short wings unique to just this type, and the early engine cowl and narrow metal propellors (also used on the 'A-5). The Ju88A-4 release has the standard wings used by just about all Ju88s and the Jumo211J style cowls and propellors used by most 'A,'C, and 'D versions.

The A-4 also has a different canopy with two, rear facing guns.

I've kept a pretty close eye on the Revell Ju-88 market, since I have a few conversions planned, using those kits as a base. Also, I would have to have a straight 88A-4 in my collection, at some point. Right now, I have two A-1s and a single A-4 kit, but all of them were purchased with the intent of converting them into 188s/388s. I've seen the A-1s sell for as low as $25 on Ebay, possibly even cheaper, but they sell for around $30 on a pretty regular basis. The A-4 still seems to be hovering in that $50 range, with the occasional deal to be had, well below that, if you're really on top of things. Now, if the A-4 starts selling in the $25 to $30 range, with Revell or their distributors/vendors trying to blow them out, then I could easily see myself ending up with a Geschwader on my hands! :lol:

As for what Revell does with the 88 family in the future, I'm pretty much open to anything they would be likely to release. I think that doing C and G lines, or maybe even a 188 or two, would be very attainable and probably would sell well, also. In the meantime, we've got AIMS Models' conversions and I'm sure those will still fill in the holes around anything that Revell does decide to release. So, it's a pretty good situation for Ju 88 fans, any way you look at it.

John